AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The primary purpose of the video card is sound and video quality. I have 1 110 screen with a 1080p projector and the vast majority of the content will be std def dvd's movies for now and some gaming.

Current build is a I-3 with a Asus H-57 motherboard and windows 7 (32 bit). I have been using using a ATI 5750 video card the last two weeks and have had some minor issues with it passing through the audio codecs since I upgraded to 10.2 with catalyst and the 170 patch for TMT.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, he did say "some gaming" so....

But the primary difference is audio bitstreaming support in the ATI 5xxx series.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad /forum/post/18174389

you get Physx with the nVidia card which is nice for gaming.

Yes, that might be so, but in a HTPC, the 5xxx series bitstreaming by far trumps having physx in overall usefulness. And on a 260, you won't get that much Physx extras anyway. Its not until you are running a 285 or dual cards that Physx will have the hardware needed to do anything (this coming from someone who owns a 260 in his game rig).

·
Registered
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Kell /forum/post/18176499

And on a 260, you won't get that much Physx extras anyway. Its not until you are running a 285 or dual cards that Physx will have the hardware needed to do anything ).

So you're saying that anything under a 285 doesnt provide physx?!

Well thats the first time Ive heard that claim!
Care to provide a reference to back it up?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etheesdad /forum/post/18176527

So you're saying that anything under a 285 doesnt provide physx?!

Well thats the first time Ive heard that claim!
Care to provide a reference to back it up?

He said much in the way of, not nothing at all!

HTH,

Nick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah well I never said "high end physx performance" - I just said u get physx with it.

The extent to which thats visible will depend on the game, the settings that are being used, and the cpu the game's being run on.

I just find it a bit off the way the guy jumps in and goes "Bitstreaming is way more important on an HTPC". I never put physx over it. I just said its a feature, having noted that it hadnt been mentioned in the discussion thus far.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
get up on the wrong side of the bed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts