AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a RPTV for secondary set, one that will be in my family room, while I finish the basement and build the HT. I found a 47" Sammy CRT for $1299 + shipping, HCN473W. Why not go for it? Are they so bad that I will regret having flushed that money down the toilet?

Gireesh

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the WS-48413 at CC today... glare on the Sammy is much less. I think I am too sensitive to glare, I returned a Toshiba 51H83 because I couldn't stand the glare!

Gireesh

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
In terms of "why not", the biggest reason is that at least fairly recently, Samsung was using video amps that limited high resolution. Basically filter out high frequency detail. So even if you focused set at home, you could not get good detail. Would still be fuzzy. The video amps they used to use are TDA6111Q If someone has a current service manual, they can tell you if they're in the latest sets.

However, you are right, built in glare screen at that price point is very nice. If you personally do not want to open up set to remove stock protective screen, or add your own anti-glare screen, then Samsung may be a good choice for you.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gireesh
I checked out the WS-48413 at CC today... glare on the Sammy is much less. I think I am too sensitive to glare, I returned a Toshiba 51H83 because I couldn't stand the glare!

Gireesh
Mits protective screen can be easily removed to eliminate glare altogether. This is the best option as long as you don't have clumsy kids/adults to be worried about.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Even without kids removal not always the best option. Some screens can get washed out by light.

On upper level Mits they have nice screen that helps block unwanted light. I think works well. My Sony didn't look as nice until Duvetine. (Would like to see a upper end Mits with duvatine.) I think Samsung tints thiers, but not sure.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Samsung seems to have a matte finish glass like the ones you see on glare free computer monitors. What does the one on the Mitsubishi look like? I haven't seen a 48413 in store yet.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Gireesh,

Sorry to mislead. the 413 does not have a anti-reflection screen. Have to go up to the 813 Diamond series for that. The 413 has a "Color Tuned" Shield. Its Mits way of improving contrast vs others simple tinting. Works well for that, but it does not help with reflections.

My comment was that yes, you can pull screen off to help reflections, but then your contrast may suffer. The shield is there for more than just protecting against your daughter. I would say, in general, that your reflections would improve much more than your contrast would suffer. However, I did see an old analog Toshiba that was all washed out in daytime. No shield, no black stripes on lenticular, screen picked up the sunlight big time.

In terms of how different anti-reflective shields look, you are right, the Samsung follows the matte finish route. Also similar to anti-glare picture glass you can pick up for about $70 at frame shops. It actually breaks up the reflected image.

My Sony and others follow a different route. The apply a coating that changes the reflective properties. Doesn't really break up the reflection like the Samsung does, just reduces it. Works well enough for me that reflections are no longer a major concern.

This is just a guess, while the Samsung may break up the image ever so slightly, I think it may do a better job with difficult reflection problems.

Heres an example to try to illustrate the difference between Samsung approach and others. I had tried samples of anti-glare glass, similar to Samsung screen, they did work better for not being able to see a reflected image. The stock Sony route just reduces reflection so you don't notice it as much, but you can still see and focus on reflected image if you look.

Hope that makes sense, sorry for misleading you before.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave, no need for appologies... I read up on Mitsubishi Diamond Shield and now I know the different schemes manufacturers are using to solve the glare problem. My concern is primarily about what the difractional qualities of the Samsung screen will do to the projected image.

Gireesh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.