AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sammy PN42A450 was leading candidate for my first HD set...

The I noticed the 410 on Sammy site & it's a Walmart model. Compared the 2...

I don't need the 3d capabilities or the side HDMI of the 450.

Looks like that's the only major difference in that and the 410.

Don't need "sales" or set-up help. Don't need delivery. Don't wanna be talked into Monster Cable & such...

Any reason I shouldn't save around $80 - just get the 410 from WM instead of the 450 from BB/CC/HHGregg, etc...???

·
Registered
356 Posts
Because for only $80, that extra HDMI on the side could come in handy once you decide to get blu-ray or some other device. And really, 80 bucks is not that much money.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Point well taken, but that $80 could allow me to go ahead & consider BluRay/PS3, or "other" upgrades. And, yes, $80 is a decent amount on a

·
Registered
998 Posts
The reason many don't buy there is because of the limited selection. If you find what you like then buy it. Many people on this forum purchased the 32" Vizio plasma from Walmart.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...the 37" Vizio at Walmart was high on my list.

Over time - prices fall, my size & budget grew. And I've recently taken the plasma camp. I still may go the Vizio VP422 at Walmart and save even more - back to my original lo-end of the budget! I just haven't really checked that one out yet...

Yeah, I'm a tightwad. And, this being my first HD set and anything bigger than 27" - I would be "happy" w/ most anything...

Will be buying 2nd week of Sept (Bonus Time
)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I almost bought that Sammy at walmart, but BB has the 450 for the same exact price so I went that option since it does have the extra HDMI. IF those two sammys are the same price go with the 450. The 410 is is really good as well. It produces an awesome picture

·
Registered
98 Posts
...because Wal Mart is evil and should be blown up?!?!
I am a hard core NYC resident who hates Wal Mart and am glad there aren't any here. I know I am drinking the cool aid, but its fun!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt151 /forum/post/14187756

...because Wal Mart is evil and should be blown up?!?!
I am a hard core NYC resident who hates Wal Mart and am glad there aren't any here. I know I am drinking the cool aid, but its fun!

Why? Because they make a ton of money selling stuff? So does EVERY store or company in America. I dont get this mentality with Wally World. I know, Im jealous too that Im not worth 40 billion dollars, but its not something to get mad about.

Like Target or KMart treat their workers any better....you dont see their workers pulling up to work everyday in Beemers and Jaguars. Their health care plans suck too.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I think the question should be more like, why Wal-mart for a TV? Go to a nice A/V shop pay a bit more and support your hobby. You're likely to get better/more personalized service and you'll also be helping someone make a living off of A/V not some big faceless corporation that hires anyone and pays them 7 dollars an hour. I'd be willing to pay more just NOT to shop at Wal-Mart, just walking into one of those things depresses me. This goes for any big box, Best Buy, Futureshop (Canadian here..) and the U.S equivalents.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/14188699

Why? Because they make a ton of money selling stuff? So does EVERY store or company in America. I dont get this mentality with Wally World. I know, Im jealous too that Im not worth 40 billion dollars, but its not something to get mad about.

Like Target or KMart treat their workers any better....you dont see their workers pulling up to work everyday in Beemers and Jaguars. Their health care plans suck too.

I mean this really isn't a discussion thread as to why Wal Mart is evil, I was sort of joking around. But the fact is that their business practices are fringing on illegal and violate anti-trust laws. It isn't the fact that they make a lot of money or pay people low wages. As a matter of fact they probably pay better than most, you are right, but they tend to destroy all business in certain towns, make everyone unemployed, pay them crap then close the store when the tax incentives expire. They then leave the town penniless, jobless and then open up a few miles away in another town to do the same. I mean all the mortgage brokers and predatory lenders were just trying to make money too. Sometimes that isn't the end all be all. There is a reason we have laws to protect consumers, because if left unchecked we would end up losing out in the end.

But as the poster after you stated, why buy a TV from them? They don't know anything about the TVs, they don't have a care for them like a good A/V store would and they probably won't care about you when you need to bring it back etc. Now if you are in one of those towns where Wal Mart has run all the other stores out of business, then I guess you have no choice. But for those who do have a choice, it is probably a good idea to go somewhere better. If you are a member of this forum then it is assumed that you care about what yo are buying and are looking for a higher standard or quality product. For THAT reason alone you should look elsewhere.

P.S. As a matter of fact, Costco pays its workers very well, has a good healthcare plan and is a very well run company who always makes a profit for its stockholders. They are a great example of a well run American company who cares about its workers and is planning for a long profitable future. So if you want to buy from a big chain store use them. I haven't bought stock in them yet, I have been planning to for some time now after researching them for a while.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt151 /forum/post/14189041

P.S. As a matter of fact, Costco pays its workers very well, has a good healthcare plan and is a very well run company who always makes a profit for its stockholders. They are a great example of a well run American company who cares about its workers and is planning for a long profitable future. So if you want to buy from a big chain store use them. I haven't bought stock in them yet, I have been planning to for some time now after researching them for a while.

I think some of the people who post here are so bloody rich they probably don't even know anyone that has to make a living working at places like wal-mart, if they actually understood the reality of how bad working conditions are maybe they wouldn't buy here. A lot of people tend to think that the reason they are where they are in life is because they just tried harder or are better. The reality is a few bad string of events and anyone could have to depend on a job like that (well almost anyone) People deserve a decent wage and working conditions no matter where they work, some people just put themselves above that. It's not a matter of the worker being able to afford a nice car or a big TV like the earlier poster stated, it's about being able to eat and pay rent and get to work if you have a vehicle in the first place.

·
Registered
98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. /forum/post/14189081

I think some of the people who post here are so bloody rich they probably don't even know anyone that has to make a living working at places like wal-mart, if they actually understood the reality of how bad working conditions are maybe they wouldn't buy here. A lot of people tend to think that the reason they are where they are in life is because they just tried harder or are better. The reality is a few bad string of events and anyone could have to depend on a job like that (well almost anyone) People deserve a decent wage and working conditions no matter where they work, some people just put themselves above that. It's not a matter of the worker being able to afford a nice car or a big TV like the earlier poster stated, it's about being able to eat and pay rent and get to work if you have a vehicle in the first place.

Well said. I mean this isn't supposed to be a workers unite rally or anything, but why not support a company that has a bit of a conscience? Also, WHY support a company who clearly does not. The other side of the coin is when Wal Mart destroys these towns, how do you think these people survive? They have to go on public assistance and get money from the government. If you stopped this practice then there might be less people on welfare etc. Bottom line is buy from a local business who is owned by a local person and will directly profit and bring money etc. into your community and you will feel better
Enough preaching from me.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
That model at Walmart is last years Samsung 4254 (looks identical in every way) and is no where near as good as the current model. (quite a few flaws were fixed) get the 450 series instead.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumonkey2 /forum/post/14184346

The Sammy PN42A450 was leading candidate for my first HD set...

The I noticed the 410 on Sammy site & it's a Walmart model. Compared the 2...

I don't need the 3d capabilities or the side HDMI of the 450.

Looks like that's the only major difference in that and the 410.

Don't need "sales" or set-up help. Don't need delivery. Don't wanna be talked into Monster Cable & such...
Any reason I shouldn't save around $80 - just get the 410 from WM instead of the 450 from BB/CC/HHGregg, etc...???

No, which is also why many individuals choose to buy BIG screen TVs off the Internet.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/14189498

That model at Walmart is last years Samsung 4254 (looks identical in every way) and is no where near as good as the current model. (quite a few flaws were fixed) get the 450 series instead.

What he said.

As for the rest

BigBoxMart

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/14189498

I'm sure the 410 is an "updated" 4254...aren't most new models "updates" of older sets???

What flaws - not being confrontational - curious...
( I can only go be spec comparisons of the 2 on the Sammy Site)

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:

I mean this really isn't a discussion thread as to why Wal Mart is evil, I was sort of joking around. But the fact is that their business practices are fringing on illegal and violate anti-trust laws.

Tells us about their anti-trust violations. There aren't any so quit making stuff up.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumonkey2 /forum/post/14196252

I'm sure the 410 is an "updated" 4254...aren't most new models "updates" of older sets???

What flaws - not being confrontational - curious...
( I can only go be spec comparisons of the 2 on the Sammy Site)

It is a 4254 with a new model # slapped on it. (it has the exact same case design, which is much bulkier than the new one) The new models don't have the motion judder that the 54 had (I know that the 50 inch got a firmware fix for it, not sure about the 42 inch) The 450 has improved IR and heat output as well.

And remember, it isn't that hard for Samsung to lie about the specs on their own TVs since they make up their own specs every year. (most companies do this now) so it isn't very far fetched to think that they just rebadged last years model and gave it to Walmart for sale.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:

I mean this really isn't a discussion thread as to why Wal Mart is evil, I was sort of joking around. But the fact is that their business practices are fringing on illegal and violate anti-trust laws. It isn't the fact that they make a lot of money or pay people low wages. As a matter of fact they probably pay better than most, you are right, but they tend to destroy all business in certain towns, make everyone unemployed, pay them crap then close the store when the tax incentives expire. They then leave the town penniless, jobless and then open up a few miles away in another town to do the same. I mean all the mortgage brokers and predatory lenders were just trying to make money too. Sometimes that isn't the end all be all. There is a reason we have laws to protect consumers, because if left unchecked we would end up losing out in the end.

But as the poster after you stated, why buy a TV from them? They don't know anything about the TVs, they don't have a care for them like a good A/V store would and they probably won't care about you when you need to bring it back etc. Now if you are in one of those towns where Wal Mart has run all the other stores out of business, then I guess you have no choice. But for those who do have a choice, it is probably a good idea to go somewhere better. If you are a member of this forum then it is assumed that you care about what yo are buying and are looking for a higher standard or quality product. For THAT reason alone you should look elsewhere.

Nobody put a gun to any persons head and said "we're going to make you work at Walmart or else". Think of the thousands and thousands of people who wouldn't have a job if Walmart went away. Think of all people who would be paying much, much more for food. If you don't mind paying 50% more for a can of corn, so be it. Walmart is merely practicing free enterprise and being the best when it comes to competition. I don't know how much truth there is to this but, I heard Walmart contributes more charity to the world than any other person, company or entity in the world. Kudos to Sam Walton.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.