Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ONKYO's AV product isn't cheap.

In my eyes the Blu-ray's entironment is more better than HD DVD now.I think a costly HD DVD player will be difficult to sale.

So, why ONKYO support HD DVD? Anybody know that?

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Onkyo knows that HD DVD will win.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
One reason may be the following.

There is a perceived lack of HD DVD products in the high end.

The conventional wisdom used to be (less true today) that the high end "validates" the product and then it trickles down. This was true of LD, CD, and DVD when I bought into them.

Today, you will see the Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player in the high-end stores. This is the machine that the CEDIA types are recommending to their clients.

Most of these stores simply are not going to carry Toshiba, too much perceived competition etc.

I think that having Onkyo partially fulfills that. Meridian would certainly also do it.

The Onkyo machine may well be built on the base of the XA2 for example, we will see.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith /forum/post/0

One reason may be the following.

There is a perceived lack of HD DVD products in the high end.

The conventional wisdom used to be (less true today) that the high end "validates" the product and then it trickles down. This was true of LD, CD, and DVD when I bought into them.

Today, you will see the Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player in the high-end stores. This is the machine that the CEDIA types are recommending to their clients.

Most of these stores simply are not going to carry Toshiba, too much perceived competition etc.

I think that having Onkyo partially fulfills that. Meridian would certainly also do it.

The Onkyo machine may well be built on the base of the XA2 for example, we will see.

Or Onkyo knows that relatively few stand alone Blu-Ray players have sold, while many, many more stand alone HD DVD players are selling. HD DVD is also a better technology overall for the consumer.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Why would anyone get into Blu-ray that wants to sell mid end stuff when the PS3 is just going to gobble your sale up.

The XA2 reviews are so good if I had a kilobuck to spend that'd be my horse.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

Why would anyone get into Blu-ray that wants to sell mid end stuff when the PS3 is just going to gobble your sale up.

The XA2 reviews are so good if I had a kilobuck to spend that'd be my horse.

The reviews are good, you're right. Have you seen it?

I am interested to see what happens with the new Samsung at $799. I believe it uses the same chip (HQV) as the XA2. Hopefully, Samsung has seen that they need to have very high PQ to compete.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ii found it's arrogant to say that BR technology is better while since the beginning to date, BR camp has tried and tried again to improve their product to match, finally, HD DVD quality..and now thing goes better, they said the technology is superior! in what? 50GB? it's the old story as HD will produce 51GB..oh yes BR they said there will be 200GB! for whose the use?

Okyo has ,since the begining, always supported HD DVD and they are right...because when they would produce high end machine, it will be really high end and no body can deny that..not like sony, they let their partners to produce midle end player and sell it with high cost while they market PS3 which is best BR player ever made and at low price...that's why!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

Onkyo knows that HD DVD will win.

Win???

I think HD DVD's first target is survival, not win the format war ( kill BD).

In 2007, most titles will release on BD, thereinto most exclusive only on BD, UNI maybe support both format, so for HD DVD I'm very pessimistic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
in standalones hddvd is killing bluray

if I was a manufactureer over in the bluray camp I would not be happy

With all their brands and only one toshiba brand 2-3 times more sales then the whole bluray lineup--thats stellar

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemaster /forum/post/0

ONKYO's AV product isn't cheap.

In my eyes the Blu-ray's entironment is more better than HD DVD now.I think a costly HD DVD player will be difficult to sale.

Reply: Toshiba's HD AX2 units are selling at warp speed and they're a cool grand. So that fact clearly negates your claim that "costly HD DVd player will be difficult to sale."

Anyway, my HD XA2 is being delivered tomorrow (Monday), so I'm one happy camper!

·
Registered
27,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonut /forum/post/0

Reply: Toshiba's HD AX2 units arte selling at warp speed and they're a cool grand. So that fact clearly negates your claim that "costly HD DVd player will be difficult to sale."

Anyway, my HD XA1 is being delivered tomorrow (Monday), so I'm one happy camper!

Well, we don't know what the ratio of sales are for HD-XA2 vs A2. Warp speed as you say? Probably not.

If you have hung out in this forum, you'd know the $500 player is King and it is the big advantage for HD DVD. Look at yourself, you bought a discontinued player (I would guess for about $400). $1K players are selling but at a far lower rate than the A2 / A1/ XA1

Onkyo, will not have an inexpensive player. However, it may be a moot point as it may not even be out in 2007.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I contacted Onkyo via their feedback link on their website and gave them props on releasing the HDDVD player, and told them I would NOT be purchasing a BD player.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemaster /forum/post/0

Recent numbers have shown that Blu-ray standalone players have not been selling very well, and there is no higher end HD DVD player available. Onkyo fills this gap.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts

Quote:

I think it is more of "why is HD DVD so desperate that they make none anouncements"

look at last year's CES the HD DVD prg was talking of Sanyo, cheap Chinese players and others and what showed up? nothing but two Toshiba players that barely sold.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

thebland said:
If you have hung out in this forum, you'd know the $500 player is King and it is the big advantage for HD DVD. Look at yourself, you bought a discontinued player (I would guess for about $400). $1K players are selling but at a far lower rate than the A2 / A1/ XA1

REPLY: Yikes! I made a real Typo and gave unjustified ammo to The Bland! I meant to say that my HD AX2 is being delivered from Crutchfield tomorrow. Heck, my A1 and XA1 (Also from Crutchfield) are nearly 8 months old already.

I may not hang around this forum as often as The Bland, but at least I'm not trolling

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /forum/post/0

I think it is more of "why is HD DVD so desperate that they make none anouncements"

look at last year's CES the HD DVD prg was talking of Sanyo, cheap Chinese players and others and what showed up? nothing but two Toshiba players that barely sold.

REPLY: Barely sold? What planet have you been on for the last several months?

·
Registered
654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP /forum/post/0

Barely sold?? The A2's cannot be kept on the shelves.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.