AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

Onkyo has announced a player and LG has made a combo player, so Toshiba is not the only manufacturer anymore. You know until late last year there was only Samsung for a blu-ray player.

and meridian and a chinease player from a company i forgot the name of thats suppose to retail at $299

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any info on the Meridian or Onkyo machines yet?

The basics would be nice, price and expected release date.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad /forum/post/0

Any info on the Meridian or Onkyo machines yet?

The basics would be nice, price and expected release date.

I haven't seen anything except the announcement of a player from Onkyo ( http://www.us.onkyo.com/news.cfm?id=2 ). Don't know that the Meridian player is necessarily in the works - I've heard conflicting info.

Also of note: at CES, Microsoft and Broadcom announced a reference design which, it seems, multiple chinese companies have said that they will adopt ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=783194 ). I'm expecting to see several new manufacturers later this year.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth81 /forum/post/0

Why is Toshiba the only maker of HD-DVD players?

On the Blu-ray side, there are players made by Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Philips, Pioneer, etc...

With only 3 of those companies actually making Standalone Players... Pioneer makes the sony and Samsung makes the Philips.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Check out best buy, the Lg Blue disc player is on sale online . I'm going out tommorow to get one. review will follow !

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty /forum/post/0

The reason is that Sony gathered support for BD before HD-DVD existed, but Toshiba went there own way.

Really??? I thought that BDA didn't get approval from the DVD group, so rather than working with them, they went their own way thereby starting this whole format war.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Lite-On is producing HD DVD drives for Microsoft's 360 add-on this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1loudsuv /forum/post/0

and meridian and a chinease player from a company i forgot the name of thats suppose to retail at $299

Meridian has not yet announced a player but says it is firmly behind HD DVD.

Shinco and other Chinese manufacturers will reportedly be making players for 2007, but no player has been formally announced yet, and there has not been any announcement of a retail price. IMO they may come with MSRPs of around $399 (that is if they have an MSRP at all), but may indeed be available for $299. However, I'm not yet 100% convinced we'll see them by Xmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty /forum/post/0

The reason is that Sony gathered support for BD before HD-DVD existed, but Toshiba went there own way.

That's an odd statement, considering that HD DVD is approved by the DVD Forum, and Blu-ray isn't.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwiggins2 /forum/post/0

Really??? I thought that BDA didn't get approval from the DVD group, so rather than working with them, they went their own way thereby starting this whole format war.

Exactly. Sony's greed created the war, not Toshiba.

Anyway, I think the immediate future for success is dual-format players, and since studios know movies will be much cheaper to manufacture on HD-DVD discs that does not bode well for BD, IMO. Up until now studios backed BD for one reason only - they thought it would win the war and give them bigger capacity for profitable disc extras. No doubt most are having second thoughts now - and since the only CE company likely to make any money off BD is Sony, through their sales of PS3 and their own movie studio. The problem with dual format players is they will cost more to produce, require royalties to both formats, will increase complexity and firmware fixes that could cause problems with the other format (not to mention a deliberate bug planted by one or the other). Still, I don't see either format dominating until the studios decide to drop one or the other. They have held the veto all along, and the longer they drag this out the more they delay HD videos on a disc.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

Anyway, I think the immediate future for success is dual-format players, and since studios know movies will be much cheaper to manufacture on HD-DVD discs that does not bode well for BD, IMO. Up until now studios backed BD for one reason only - they thought it would win the war and give them bigger capacity for profitable disc extras. No doubt most are having second thoughts now - and since the only CE company likely to make any money off BD is Sony, through their sales of PS3 and their own movie studio. The problem with dual format players is they will cost more to produce, require royalties to both formats, will increase complexity and firmware fixes that could cause problems with the other format (not to mention a deliberate bug planted by one or the other). Still, I don't see either format dominating until the studios decide to drop one or the other. They have held the veto all along, and the longer they drag this out the more they delay HD videos on a disc.

sony basically is the war. they own most of the bd disc production, most of the bd hardware production and the most diehard bd studios.

seems like bd woould have no reason to exist at this point if it was not the disk format for the ps3.

you have to admire sony for the sales/marketing abiity. sony is a powerhouse holding it all together.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

DVD Group is the only excuse of Toshiba to collect the DVD Licence Money! (without any objections...)

Everybody know that!

Fact 1: DVD Group don't accept DVD +R (RW) Standard! Still!

Just because Toshiba made the opposite DVD -R standard it's not the reason...

Maybe Sony should accept Toshiba as a legal owner of all standards and send the money they make on DVD RW... (to keep Toshi quiet)

Fact 2: there are only HD-DVD Players from Toshiba. The biggest (and the best) manufactures in the World produce (and support) Blu-Ray.

(Sony, Matsushita, Pioneer, Samsung an LG/Philips)

""""So wich Player do you want to buy? The one from Toshiba or maybe the one from Toshiba? Because everybody is telling me, you know... why to buy a player from Toshiba, when you can buy a much better one from Toshiba. I mean, not that I don't trust Toshiba, but the players from Toshiba are much better quality and they get much better reviews all over Internet.""""

Any new firmware updates yet?

Fact 3: 450 $ for a brand new technology player? A dumping price? Yes, no doubt on that! But why?

- In order to get licence money from software (HD-DVD Discs) I suppose...

With each HD-DVD Disc sold, Toshiba get the licence money... Clever move!

Fact 4: With every HD-DVD sold, that contain a movie with VC1 Codec, Microsoft get licence money too. For Menu structure (Media Edition) also from every sold HD-DVD Player. What does get MS when a BD Player is sold (with linux software), or Blu-Ray disc with MPEG2 Codec? Nada!

"Sony's greed created the war, not Toshiba." Yeah! Yeah!

Josh

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
It's impressive how many things you can get wrong in a single post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-Junky /forum/post/0

Fact 1: DVD Group don't accept DVD +R (RW) Standard! Still!

Just because Toshiba made the opposite DVD -R standard it's not the reason...

There was no reason whatsoever for the DVD Forum to approve +R, since it added no benefit to the DVD format.

Furthermore, Pioneer was the main developer of -R.

Quote:
Fact 2: there are only HD-DVD Players from Toshiba. The biggest (and the best) manufactures in the World produce (and support) Blu-Ray.

Incorrect. Others have already posted on this.

Quote:
Fact 3: 450 $ for a brand new technology player? A dumping price? Yes, no doubt on that! But why?

- In order to get licence money from software (HD-DVD Discs) I suppose...

With each HD-DVD Disc sold, Toshiba get the licence money... Clever move!

I do not claim to know what Toshiba's and Sony's hardware costs are but...

I would not be surprised if Toshiba (now) makes a profit on each its 2nd generation HD DVD players, and did so even in 2006.

I would be totally shocked however if Sony made a profit with each Playstation 3, even by early 2008.

Quote:
Fact 4: With every HD-DVD sold, that contain a movie with VC1 Codec, Microsoft get licence money too. For Menu structure (Media Edition) also from every sold HD-DVD Player. What does get MS when a BD Player is sold (with linux software), or Blu-Ray disc with MPEG2 Codec? Nada!

Several Blu-ray discs have VC-1 encodes, since VC-1 support by Blu-ray is MANDATORY in all Blu-ray players.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

It's impressive how many things you can get wrong in a single post.

There was no reason whatsoever for the DVD Forum to approve +R, since it added no benefit to the DVD format.

Furthermore, Pioneer was the main developer of -R.

Incorrect. Others have already posted on this.

I do not claim to know what Toshiba's and Sony's hardware costs are but...

I would not be surprised if Toshiba (now) makes a profit on each its 2nd generation HD DVD players, and did so even in 2006.

I would be totally shocked however if Sony made a profit with each Playstation 3, even by early 2008.

Several Blu-ray discs have VC-1 encodes, since VC-1 support by Blu-ray is MANDATORY in all Blu-ray players.

Thanks for clearing up the FUD. Although I am format agnostic ( I own both), it has been apparent to me for a long while that the BD group has been banking on lies and misinformation to try to supress HD-DVD. Toshiba for the most part has been mostly accurate (although spun to their benefit).

·
Registered
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV-Junky /forum/post/0

I wouldn't even begin to consider Samsung, LG, or Phillips, as the "best" manufactures in the world. Ever heard of companies such as Denon, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, and Onkyo? They all make "better" products than the manufactures listed. Not to mention all of the online only companies, or smaller ones such as Anthem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.