AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Because the government mandidated HDTV's have a tuner in them. And, some people actually use the tuner to watch ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, The CW, My Network TV, PBS, Telemundo, Univision, etc., in HD for free.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
There was a time when you could actually buy an "HDTV Monitor", without the tuner capability, but I don't think they are available any more, in the consumer-electronics world.

You can still buy professional and semi-pro monitors, if you have the money.

And, the OTA function is still a nice thing to have. You never know when you'll lose your Cable or satellite (last night's heavy snow in SLC, as an example). That's why I always recommend a back-up antenna and converter box....even if you have the others. Your Cable box won't receive any OTA signals, and not all satellite boxes will, either. So, the ATSC OTA tuner is a necessity.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/19524502

There was a time when you could actually buy an "HDTV Monitor", without the tuner capability, but I don't think they are available any more, in the consumer-electronics world.

When I bought my current 32" LCD TV, five years ago last month, the FCC did not yet require all TVs to have digital OTA (ATSC) tuners. In stores, "HD-ready" TVs with only analog (NTSC) tuners were more common than TVs with both NTSC and ATSC tuners, with the latter costing about a couple hundred dollars more, all other things being equal. I already had several standalone ATSC tuners which I had been using to experiment with digital TV reception on my 17-year-old CRT TV, so I saved some money by buying a HD-ready TV.

(At that time, prices for 32" LCDs were something like $2000 with an ATSC tuner, and $1800 without.)

Now, there are very few standalone ATSC tuners on the market, and built-in tuners surely contribute a much smaller fraction of the price of a TV than they used to, thanks to efficiencies of scale (volume).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafiejames /forum/post/19524438

what is the sense of buying a hd /digital tv when you have to use a cable or sat receiver and by pass the tv's tuner system ?

why not use a hd monitor?

Who's stopping you?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Even if you get your primary viewing from DBS or cable, there are times when it can go out. In such a case, having that antenna / digital OTA tuner is a great way to keep abreast of what is happening.

Also, at least in my case - my Dish subscription does not have HD (I only have an SD Dish receiver) - so all my HD viewing is OTA .

Now, for the idea of of a display/audio only monitor - as the others have already stated - they were common 2-3 years ago, but now, ATSC tuner chips (and their supporting chips) have dramatically come down in cost. I had seriously considered a non-tuner version of my TV, but I'm so glad that I sprang for the tuner anyway.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There are several reasons that it is good to have OTA reception capability even if you have cable or satellite service:

1. Cable outages. Back in the 70s and 80s then Warner Amex Cable in Bakersfield was very unreliable in inclement weather. We had an outage almost everytime it rained. Our cable service is much much more reliable now, but occasional outages do still occur. OTA is a great backup.

2. There could be subchannels on your local stations that aren't carried by cable.

3. There could be low power digital stations not carried by cable.

4. Depending on where you live, you might be able to receive out of market stations not carried on cable, or if they are carried they are subject to syndex blackouts.

5. There is always the possibility of a retransmission consent dispute between your cable system and a local station or 2, resulting in that station(s) being temporarily dropped from cable.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Also if you tired of being nickel and dimed to death by the cable copy you will have your ATSC OTA tuner to fall back on. When I got fed up and cut the cord two years ago I had to buy a standalone ATSC HD OTA tuner because my plasma is just an HD monitor.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts

Quote:

what is the sense of buying a hd /digital tv when you have to use a cable or sat receiver and by pass the tv's tuner system ?

Nobody's making you use cable or satellite, nor does everyone pay for their TV viewing. A lot of people take advantage of free OTA TV with their TV's built in digital tuner.

Quote:

Go for it. But it'll cost you a lot more because there's no high volume demand for them, and they aren't mass produced in great numbers. "TVs" with built in tuners nearly always cost less.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
HD TV monitors nowadays are mostly sold for professional or industrial applications, for example those weather map / flight status displays in airports. Accordingly, they have professional-level prices.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish
I'm not sure that those sets would strictly have been classified as monitors, since they did have built in *analog* tuners, but no digital tuner.

Note that the tuner mandate only requires that digital tuners be included in sets that have analog tuners -- but it does not require that *any* tuner be present. So CE companies could offer HD monitors that lack either a digital or analog tuner, if they thought there was sufficient demand for such a product.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/19524467

And, some people actually use the tuner to watch ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, The CW, My Network TV, PBS, Telemundo, Univision, etc., in HD for free.

Correct. Well said.

Frankly, I don't understand the point of this thread. The tuner is for people who want to watch free OTA TV. Why is that confusing to the OP?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
Because the government mandidated HDTV's have a tuner in them. And, some people actually use the tuner to watch ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, The CW, My Network TV, PBS, Telemundo, Univision, etc., in HD for free.
Actually I think what the government mandated was that any TV, etc. that had an analog NTSC tuner must also have a digital ATSC tuner. AFAIK it is still legal to manufacture and sell HDTV monitors without any tuner but since sales of HDTV sets with integrated tuners started to take off about four or five years ago TV manufacturers decided to not look back and most buyers probably expect a new TV to have a tuner whether or not they actually use it.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts

Quote:

Welcome to the forums. Here, in midtown Manhattan, need cable since multlpath is so bad. So, when my CRT HD RPTV, with nearly useless SD/HD tuners, expired (spring '09), I bought a high-end pro/designer monitor , influenced by favorable reviews. This model has an optional plug-in HD tuner, or there are other separate tuners if I ever moved to a better OTA area. Yup, "big money" is a factor since monitors are often priced higher. -- John

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Quote:

I use my HDTV tuner for FREE OTA HD....it looks better than any sat or cable picture (which recompress a HD signal to MPEG4 or QAM respectively)...

I DONT pay for my locals....I put a simple antenna up 20ft using cheap chain link fence top rail post for the mast....and I get ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, MyTV, CW and others (sometimes THIS from a station 70+ miles away!)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hawk /forum/post/19526692

There are several reasons that it is good to have OTA reception capability even if you have cable or satellite service:

1. Cable outages. Back in the 70s and 80s then Warner Amex Cable in Bakersfield was very unreliable in inclement weather. We had an outage almost everytime it rained. Our cable service is much much more reliable now, but occasional outages do still occur. OTA is a great backup.

2. There could be subchannels on your local stations that aren't carried by cable.

3. There could be low power digital stations not carried by cable.

4. Depending on where you live, you might be able to receive out of market stations not carried on cable, or if they are carried they are subject to syndex blackouts.

5. There is always the possibility of a retransmission consent dispute between your cable system and a local station or 2, resulting in that station(s) being temporarily dropped from cable.

AND along the Gulf Coast and parts of the East Coast where hurricanes/tropical storms are common, OTA reception is a MUST after such a storm...here CATV is NOT buried and goes out after such storms...Sat rcvrs can be back up after a storm BUT the average TV viewer doesnt know how to align a dish....OTA antennas are easy and quick...and FREE to use...Rural Texas (which comprises more of Texas than the large cities do in sq mileage) NEEDS OTA....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts