AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need a avr just without the gadgets, good power procesing at music and movies. Over paying for extras that they are not use need basics, sorry technics is out of business. Any feed back will apreciated. I have heard Rotel, and Arcam and they are awsome but too much money, which they could go down on price.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I agree with you. That's why the Pioneer 1014/1015 receivers and the Panasonic XR55 receivers are so popular. They are at decent price points - and have some mixed options. If one is of the belief that they'll opt for more power down the road, then the Pioneer 1015 might be a better choice because it has pre-outs. However, at $225 - 250, the Panasonic is looking mighty impressive. Also, since it is the 3rd generation or so of digital receivers from Panasonic, they have finally integrated a nice set of features that I'd consider mandatory and not necessarily over-the-top when it comes to receivers. These would include (on my list):

- The ability to set the subwoofer crossover frequency.

- Good capabilities when it comes to Zone 2 outputs.

Some options items that may/may-not be worthy - depending on your point of view.

- Ability to set the receiver up with a microphone. (Although, I think this is a very nice feature)

- Pre-outs for more connectibility down the road.

- Video upgrade to component. I don't care about upgrading my signal as I only have the DVD player to worry about - and it already has component outputs.

Edit: I've owned Technics gear in the past. It's not that the gear no longer exists ... but, rather, the name no longer exists. Panasonic is still offering some nice, no-frills equipment. They just are not producing some of the power amps and stuff like that which Technics was known for. While in the military, I knew a guy with a great 2-channel Technics amp that was a monster and had killer amounts of power. Then again, he didn't buy it in the U.S., but rather Japan.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
because it raises the bottom line.

Seth

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Because some people have to have the newest thing regardless of the use for such a thing. For instance, who needs 11 channels driven like on some of the new flagship receivers? :confused:

Pat

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Ever wonder where the quality would be if a new receiver only did Dolby,DTS & power? No effects, no video routing - you get the idea.

No one has the stones to make such a device these days. I'd buy it!

E

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You'd buy it, but not many others, unless it was DAMN cheap, in which case the quality would suck anyway. The average guy going to Circuit City or Best Buy will look at a similarly cheap (or cheaper) receiver next to it with way more buttons and inputs and will buy that, even if it doesn't sound NEAR as good. He'll go home and hook it up to his Sony speakers (or, if he has some money, his Bose speakers that he will think are the best money can buy)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Yes, I'd love to have a receiver without all the extras. I don't need:

- video switching. I'd even be willing to give up OSD.

- radio

- zone 2/multiroom

- remote control extension plugs

- autosetup/auto EQ

- half the analog audio inputs

It would be nice just to have a really good power supply, excellent DACs, an extremely capable, upgradeable DSP, good amps and preouts. But alas, no such beast.

Integra and Theta Digital had a really good idea with modular, card-based receivers. However these are well into flagship receiver territory even stripped-down. Theta has a really great idea - you can upgrade your cards for better DACs, etc. However you can't omit video switching entirely, and for the price of one Casablanca III you could afford a few dozen low-end receivers.;)

It's too bad but video features are getting upgraded while audio features and performance are being downgraded with each product generation.:(

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
allot of the features are in the firmware. they have been written for that specific processor. I have no problem with that. you can pick and choose what you want. The price for those features are just Marketing hype.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnshan
Because some people have to have the newest thing regardless of the use for such a thing. For instance, who needs 11 channels driven like on some of the new flagship receivers? :confused:

Pat
11 Channels driven, holy Sh$t. LOL.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
Edit: I've owned Technics gear in the past. It's not that the gear no longer exists ... but, rather, the name no longer exists. Panasonic is still offering some nice, no-frills equipment. They just are not producing some of the power amps and stuff like that which Technics was known for. While in the military, I knew a guy with a great 2-channel Technics amp that was a monster and had killer amounts of power. Then again, he didn't buy it in the U.S., but rather Japan.

Having the affrontery to say Technics made a good receiver seems to rankle lots of elitists in the forum. Me, I had 4 of their amps over a period of 28 years and all 4 performed splendidly. I'm about to leave my SA-DX1050 ONLY because it isn't capable of the latest sound processing technology. It does a great job with DTS and DD 5.1 tracks.

I agree with others here. I don't need the A/B switching, because if I want output in two rooms, I'll buy two receivers. I don't need half the audio/video routing that most receivers have these days, only today's DD, DTS, a great amp and enough outputs to do 6.1 or 7.1 tracks. Having to buy a 'receiver' is malarke, because I'm paying for something that I won't get half the use of. Just start making AMPS at a decent price rather than throwing in a cheap tuner and making us buy receivers. I live in a terrible location for any kind of FM reception, yet the industry seems hellbent on continuing to make us pay for something lots and LOTS of us don't use, and I mean don't EVER use. I buy a receiver for it's amp section, not the tuner section. If HD is what everyone is clamouring for in video, why is it that audio manufacturers think we're all listening to FM stations and thus forcing tuners down our throats in audio?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmaster
Just start making AMPS at a decent price rather than throwing in a cheap tuner and making us buy receivers. I live in a terrible location for any kind of FM reception, yet the industry seems hellbent on continuing to make us pay for something lots and LOTS of us don't use, and I mean don't EVER use. I buy a receiver for it's amp section, not the tuner section. If HD is what everyone is clamouring for in video, why is it that audio manufacturers think we're all listening to FM stations and thus forcing tuners down our throats in audio?
Yamaha seems to be wanting to "get with the times" and are offering XM. Denon is playing catch-up and is starting to offer XM as well.

On a personal basis, that's even more useless. XM service isn't available in this country, although the signal does make it to most parts of the country. It's not legal to sell the service here though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.