AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a thread asking for advice on what interlaced dvd player to get for use with the Sharp 9000 and Faroudja NRS. I didn't get a single recommendation:( . I tryed the search engine, and the threads about the "best interlaced dvd player" were always very "poor" in recommendations. There is another thread with the same question and it got only one recommendation (the CAL 2500).

On the other hand, threads about progressive dvd players are always full of opinios, discussions and recommendations. The problem is that for some people who are using Front Projectors, the interlaced player/external scaler still the best options (at least I think so).

I will try one more time:p ... Can you please give me some advice in with interlaced dvd player to get for using with the Sharp and NRS?

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check out The Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity's review of the Meridian 596. It does have the chroma bug, but the overall performance of the player sounds outstanding judging from the Secrets review as well as the one that appeared in the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. However, it does cost $4,300.

I believe the Sony ES9000 got high marks as well for its interlaced output. I think the price of this player has dropped to around $1,200 for authorized dealers.

Good Luck,

Jim

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pick up a Denon DVD -5000. It is a 40 pound beast with Audiophile CD playback(4 -24/96 DACs per channel) and upconverts to a stunning progressive picture with a video processor. They were $2500 new and can be found on Audiogon for $600-$900.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
I've posted a thread asking for advice on what interlaced dvd player to get for use with the Sharp 9000 and Faroudja NRS. I didn't get a single recommendation:( . I tryed the search engine, and the threads about the "best interlaced dvd player" were always very "poor" in recommendations. There is another thread with the same question and it got only one recommendation (the CAL 2500).

On the other hand, threads about progressive dvd players are always full of opinios, discussions and recommendations. The problem is that for some people who are using Front Projectors, the interlaced player/external scaler still the best options (at least I think so).

I will try one more time:p ... Can you please give me some advice in with interlaced dvd player to get for using with the Sharp and NRS?

Thanks
Quite, frankly, in my opinion, interlaced players don't differentiate that much in video performance. I couldn't even justify spending thousands of dollars on an interlaced player, unless there are specific features of some of the expensive players that you really want - such as upgradeability and superior audio for the Meridian and SACD for the Sony 9000ES. Otherwise, I would strongly suggest getting something without the chroma bug, like a Panasonic RP91. Stacey Spears (of Hometheaterhifi) as repeatly said the RP91 outputs an excellent interlaced picture. You will even get DVD-Audio and a host of other features as a bonus.

DB:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,

I guess I will look at the Panasonic. I'm one of those who can see the chroma bug, so I'll stay away of the Sony, Meridian, etc.

Considering that I'm in Brazil, I would also like to stay away of the "boutiques" players (like EAD, CAL and others) because service for these players down here simply doesn't exist!!!!

As for the moment, the Panasonic seems the best choice. Do you know where I can get some good reviews on such player?

DB, I don't mind going with a prog player which has a great interlaced performance. I just want a great player with the best interlaced outup.

I'm also not interested in cd playback, because this will be a HT dedicated room

Thanks again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flavioleoni
Thanks everyone,

I guess I will look at the Panasonic. I'm one of those who can see the chroma bug, so I'll stay away of the Sony, Meridian, etc.

Considering that I'm in Brazil, I would also like to stay away of the "boutiques" players (like EAD, CAL and others) because service for these players down here simply doesn't exist!!!!

As for the moment, the Panasonic seems the best choice. Do you know where I can get some good reviews on such player?

DB, I don't mind going with a prog player which has a great interlaced performance. I just want a great player with the best interlaced outup.

I'm also not interested in cd playback, because this will be a HT dedicated room

Thanks again.
Then based on your response, I would re-emphasize looking at the RP91. It doesn't have the "tank-like" build quality of the more expensive players, but as also said before by Stacey Spears and others, build quality has nothing to do with performance. If you do a search for "RP91" on this board, I'm willing to bet you will get hit with hundreds of reviews from owners of the player.

Enjoy:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
For interlaced players, how about:

1. The Denon DVD-5000. See above post.

2. The Denon DVD-3300. This is one that many are having SDI-modded right now.

3. The Panasonic RV-80. Discontinued, but perhaps some for sale used.

All of these use the Panasonic MPEG decoder, so no chroma bug.

Todd

·
Registered
949 Posts
I thought I should warn, the Panasonic DVD-5000 uses the same transport as the A/105/110/310, etc. If you have no idea what this means, goto audioreview.com and check out the reviews for those players.

Jeff

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for what I know, the Denon-5000 has the chroma bug, isn't that right?

Tag McLaren is one of those "boutique" player for which I'll have no service here in Brazil.

So I think the RP-91 still a better choise for the moment...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Weird. I find it funny that the tag mclaren dvd32r uses the same mpeg decoding hardware as the apex ad800. Kinda cool that its thx ultra with ntsc and pal.

Is it just me or is the tagmclarenaudio site the slowest site you have ever visited!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.