AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight (Friday, 9/26/03), I watched some segments of CBS HD shows, Joan of Arcadia, JAG, and The Handler. I was really turned off by the poor PQ of these shows. As a matter of fact, the widescreen shows on FOX were a lot better: sharper and having more contrast. I still remember that when CBS showed I Love Lucy, the PQ was very impressive. Likewise, past HD sports materials (US Open Golf, Tennis, etc) were also of high quality. I also recall that The District I watched one evening was pretty good as well. Just wonder what's the problem with these poor stuff? If these are called HD, I would rather pass and watch my DVDs instead.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
They were shot on 24fps film, where the live sports is 30fps HD video - totally different process. The look you don't think is sharp enough or low contrast is what the director of the shows wanted for their look, its not CBS's fault! I personally thought JAG looked great in HD, very saturated colors, etc.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
lwavs,

The content was in widescreen on CBS, right? If it wasn't widescreen, it wasn't HDTV.

And is your local CBS affiliate running one or more subchannels? If they are overcompressing the HD feed, that will impact the quality. I don't think I've ever seen anything on FOX (480p) that looked better than the CBS HD content.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
NY (location) is a big state, but if you were viewing WCBS-DT in or near NY, NY, I caught part of one of those shows, J.Arcadia, and found the fidelity excellent. CBS delivers it to Time Warner Cable via fiber, and has no subchannels. -- John

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
lwavs - I thought Joan of Arcadia looked great myself. The Handler was extremely grainy and may have been shot that on purpose. I flipped fron Joan to MissMatch to George Lopez and thought that all three shows looked GREAT.

I will admith that the Handler looked like 1970's TV.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
anyone think some of the handler closeupswere too tight, as tho framed for 4;3 as sometimes faces were cut off in very strange places like on a eye brow etc. I only watched 10 mins. But the scene with the Handler and an undercover agent(a woman) talking in a car and eating sandwiches, looked bad from that respect. fwiw i don't think exterm closeups and eating mix well

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also thought JOAN looked fantastic. JAG had its moments, as well. Intentional grain is kind of a drag, esp. in HD. It does create a dramatic contrast, though. Did anyone catch REBA on the WB? Phenomenal PQ, right up there with STILL STANDING, IMO.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Just looks at the eye in the lower right of the picture. If it's not a widescreen picture with a perfect circle.. it wasn't HD.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I notice that bfdtv mentioned that if the picture is not widescreen, it is not HDTV.

As a newbie, I have wondered about the many shows that are not widescreen.

I had presumed that they were not HDTV. Am I correct in presuming all not-wide screen shows are NOT HDTV?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the late reply. The shows I watched were indeed in HD wide screen and received over-the-air. In general, I've found that it's quite common that the indoor scenes in CBS HD shows were either lit unevenly or too dark. Quite often, you don't see the details on the other half of a person's face in these scenes, which seldom happen in a non-HD shows. I have a 60" Sony GWII. Of course, black level and shadow detail are not the strong points of this TV, especially considering that it has not been tweaked. But then again, I seldom had the aforementioned problem watching regular shows or many high quality HD materials. This makes me think that maybe there were problems in how these HD programs were shot and mastered.

Last night's show were, however, another story. I did not see the same level of clarity and resolution that I normally see on CSI, The District, and even some old episodes of JAG. And the 480p shows on FOX did look better on my TV.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Mogur, if you are watching HDTV using an HDTV-ready display and an HD receiver and connected through an HD-capable input, you will find that 99+% of HD shows are in widescreen.

The rare exception is something like Pinocchio, which was shown in 4:3 despite being an HD broadcast.

If you are watching an HD channel with the above-listed criteria in place, you will find that the only things that won't be widescreen are those not shown in HD (e.g. Friends, Survivor).

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i thought the district looked amazing

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am waiting for Comcast in my area to add the Los Angeles CBS station to their HDTV line up. It will be nice to see the CSI shows in HDTV. Especially since channel 2 comes in poorly on my cable and has for years.

The channels from 2 to 9 come in poorly. Now that NBC and ABC are HDTV in my cable area they are much clearer.

ET was excellent on Thursday night.

I just turned to Saturday Night Live! Not HDTV! Bummer!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ha, I just checked all my HDTV channels and only EPSN is fully HDTV at 2330 on Saturday nights

HBO, Showtime, KTTV (lLA fox), ABC, NBC are not.

ESPN is showing Sports Center HDTV!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mogur2

ESPN is showing Sports Center HDTV!

Are you awake yet? I think you were dreaming that. :D :D

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lwavs

In general, I've found that it's quite common that the indoor scenes in CBS HD shows were either lit unevenly or too dark. Quite often, you don't see the details on the other half of a person's face in these scenes, which seldom happen in a non-HD shows. I have a 60" Sony GWII. Of course, black level and shadow detail are not the strong points of this TV, especially considering that it has not been tweaked.
Excellent point, IMO. Perhaps producers/directors will take note. I've long since stopped watching several shows with this too-dark cast, and my CRT-based RPTV can deliver good dark-level detail--if it's present. But fixed-pixel RPTVs, judging by the RPTV forum at least, are quickly gaining in popularity.

Recall commenting last year that office scenes in "Without a Trace" looked like they'd left the lights off. Seems to be okayed as an 'artistic' option. But, while I might sit through--and enjoy--a cleverly directed, poorly lighted, yellow-filtered, 16-mm Danish import on the Sundance channel, the same wouldn't apply to a mundane cops-and-robbers 1080i network show. -- John

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
i wish somethings were lit better, but i wonder if they don't look fine on teh sd side? which the production is very concern with i imagine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.