AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the DVR game, and am thinking of getting either Tivo or Replay TV for Christmas. Right now, I'm leaning towards Replay TV for a number of reasons (ethernet access, web access, Commercial Advance, etc.) .... my only issue is re: the "lifetime activation". Being a longtime "early adopter", I've been burned plenty of times and I worry about committing to either system, for fear that I'll drop $250 for lifetime service for a product that may disappear in a year. What would happen if the company folded in 12 months ? Would the unit be worthless ? Could it retain limited functionality ?

I assume this is an issue that has been addressed a number of times, but I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the subject - please put me at ease so I can get a new toy this holiday season! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
It's for the "lifetime" of the unit.

If you have grave doubts about the company, I'd cautiously just pass up the purchase. I suppose if I were to wonder about SB or TiVo (BTW financial speculation is not allowed on this forum) I'd perhaps be more concerned about the direction of (unstoppable behemoth) TiVo? All things considered... I mean there are still more outhouses than PVR's and that's TiVo's only offering.

Of course we've been having variations of this same debate for the last three years. Lo and behold both are still plugging along.

Not a product category for the little of chicken. If you fear the sky is falling, a VCR should hold it up just fine? ;)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I would just add that if SonicBlue were to fold I believe there are two likely scenarios as to what would happen.

1) Somebody here would figure out how to get guide data into Replay's. The talent represented on the board is pretty awe inspiring. You also will find that folks here have generous hearts and seem willing to help people out on a day to day basis.

2) The other likely scenario is that some company would purchase the assets and we'd see the service continue. Case in point, SonicBlue bought ReplayTV--there are still a mess of Replay 2xxx, 3xxx, and ShowStoppers still in service.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.