AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jsut posted this question at the tivo forum and i am posting the same here...

i have been a tivo user for 2-3 years now, but i just broke my unit. i plan on replacing it with a DVR and I am leaning towards another tivo... so why do you guys prefer the replay tv over tivo? does the lack of a season pass affect the accuracy of what you want recorded?

thanks.

justin

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vegan
so why do you guys prefer the replay tv over tivo?
Simply, the network interface. I haven't had a modem in my house since 1997, and I'm not about to give up the ability to dial 911 in the middle of the night (or miss the call telling me that my girlfriend has been hit by a truck and is at the hospital), because a TiVo happens to be "phoning home" at the time.

Jim

·
Registered
212 Posts
The biggest selling point for me was the network interface.

Not only does it perform updates over the internet but i can download recordings to my PC.

Just look up the DVArchive tool on this forum. Its an indispensable part of the Replay setup.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
By far the biggest reason is DVArchive. Allows any computer to be seen as a ReplayTV. And video streaming is SWEET! I haven't looked back once since I found DVArchive....Kudos to the developers!!!

Mark

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MinnesotaJim
Also, one major advantage of ReplayTV over TiVo is that ReplayTV didn't kill President Lincoln.

http://fark.zerosource.com/lincolntivo.jpg

Jim
That's true, Jim.

Also:

1. Commercial advance (skip commercials automatically -- and it works!)

2. Navigate precisely through a recorded show (there are buttons that allow you to directly jump xx minutes into a show from the beginning, or to skip xx minutes forward or xx minutes back from wherever you happen to be in a show, where you specify whatever xx you want).

3. More direct navigation through the menu choices (many people like me greatly prefer the replay interface, but note that this is a personal preference and many others prefer Tivo's interface).

4. Unlimited pause instead of Tivo's 30 minutes limited pause.

5. DVArchive

6. Getting shows from others when I inadvertently miss a show (e.g. my cable company started a show 15 minutes later than schedule so I missed the last 15 minuites; I posted my request on this forum and someone immediately sent me that show so that I could see the last 15 minutes).

7. Show streaming between replays on my lan.

And did I mention commercial advance? And of course, there's commercial advance...

·
Registered
41 Posts
If my Replay and my TiVo broke today. I'd be replacing the TiVo first. It just fits my viewing habbits better. I like being able to set Season Passes, I like that it knows if a show is a rerun or first run, the video quality at Medium is better (from my tests on a digital-cable box) than Replay's (45xx) High quality (V-R-L component).

It also is much easier for the wife to operate and upkeep. I also do like the TiVo suggestions and the To Do List is a blessing.

The replay I mostly bought to "offload" shows with DVArchive to SVCD/DVD. I did finally stream a show from my DVArchive back to the ReplayTV, it is nice to have external storage. The ReplayTV 30sec advance is very nice, and is a step above TiVo's FF. The CA has not worked for me in the two weeks I've had my Replay. I'll comment on that if I get it working.

What ever you choose, it's better than a VCR. Each to his own.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Hey Alan, how about commercial advance? If you're going to build lists, at least try and make them complete now.....:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
How does the picture quality of the Replay component video out compare to the DirecTivo S video out on an RPTV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had been a long time Tivo (series1) user when I saw the 5040. I have been looking at adding a second PVR for a while, and thought I'd try it out. The range of features (commercial advance, progressive output, recording from Dish and OTA seamlessly) more than make up for season pass and ToDo list, though I miss the ToDo list most. ReplayPC for video extraction is pleasant and simple. I also find the HQ from replay has much less artifacting than TiVo recording on both fuzzy OTA and DishNet.

Long story short, my TiVo is taking a one-way trip to a friend in Louisiana, and I'm *still* looking to add a second PVR.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JWeavis
I like that it knows if a show is a rerun or first run
Has there been any mention from SB about adding this feature to ReplayTV? I've noticed that the show description that appears in the channel guide usually notes whether or not a show is a repeat so it should be possible to set it to record only new episodes.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Hey Alan, how about commercial advance? If you're going to build lists, at least try and make them complete now.....:D
Your're right, I forgot that one. But you didn't mention commercial advance, did you? And whatever you do, don't forget your towel.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Your're right, I forgot that one. But you didn't mention commercial advance, did you? And whatever you do, don't forget your towel.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

(of commercial advance not working for some people)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would think it depends on your needs. I have a Replay 4504 pumped with 2 120gbhd's in my livingroom and with the commercial advance, as a stand alone it can't be beat. I just replaced 80gb showstopper in bedroom with a directivo I found a BB for $80.00. My wife prefers replay guides and CA, while I love the 2 tuner function and better picture from the DTivo, I found the whole to do list and Tivo suggestion thing a little weird(I've had a replay/showstopper for 3 years now), but now other than the fact Tivo thinks I'm black and gay, I think it rocks too. In order for me would be.......

standalone box=Replay

Directv=Directivo

Dish=721

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.