AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 720p native display, and everywhere i hear that what ever signal you feed the LCD that is higher than 720p (i.e 1080i) it will just downscale it and deinterlace it to 720p resolution (as the display simply cant do higher resolution?) so why even try to run 1080i on a 720 display? i hear someone saying its better PQ? i think i need more teachings in how a LCD screen works

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Unless you rely on an external video processor, i.e. a cable/satellite box, your television needs the capability to process 1080i. The majority of HDTV is broadcast at 1080i. If this capablity did not exist, either in your set or in the stb you would not be able to view those channels broadcasting in 1080i. Your 720p set or your stb deinterlaces a 1080i signal to 1080p and then scales that 1080p down to 720p for display. You can feed the 1080i signal directly to your tv and allow it to process the video or you can rely on the stb to do the heavy lifting (deinterlacing/scaling).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It depends on what resolution the source material is in. If it is 720p, then you want that resolution to be sent to the TV so there is no processing done. However, if the source material is anything but 720p, then the material will have to be processed somewhere along the line, either by your TV, or the source device itself. You will need to experiement to see what works best. Is it better to send the source material in its native resolution and let the TV process it to 720p or let the source device process it to 720p and output that to the TV (which won't process it again, since it is already in 720p). Depending on the source device, it might have a better quality processor than your TV, but you won't know until you try it both ways - allowing the device to process the picture to 720p or letting the TV process it to 720p.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.