AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that you can buy a first-rate Panasonic BD player for $99 and it will do a super job upconverting standard DVDs, why should any person watching on anything other than a CRT TV (who's days are also numbered) buy a DVD player? I thought about this when my nephew asked for recommendations on a new DVD player and I found out Panasonic has stopped making DVD players - they now only make BD and DVD-R recorders. This time next year Panasonic will probably be selling comparable BD players for $75 or less, so as I see it in the very near future SD DVD players will be just given away free as a promotional item to people who buy $100 LCD TVs and otherwise mostly used as paperweights. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The same reason you can still buy VCR's. Not everyone has, or wants BD's or BD players, why would someone want to spend $100 on a BD player to play DVD's when they can spend $30?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Also a $30 or even $99 BR player won't have the picture quality of a $100+ dedicated DVD player. Since many people have a large collection of DVDs they want the best player for those DVDs, not BRs. And don't believe the myth that everything looks better on a BR player, unless you get a high end BR player(Oppo etc.) DVD playback will not be great.

Another point with many current BR players, they are very SLOW and cumbersome to operate and lack many of the basic features on a decent DVD only player.

For some time their will be a market for the junk $30 DVD players but the good ones will be getting harder and harder to find, one reason quality DVD players like Oppo still command a good price second hand.

I think Sony only makes one or two DVD only players but IMO they are mostly junk, not the quality of even a few years ago

·
Registered
10 Posts
Since my new tv (panasonic 42x1) is not 1080p I saw no need for a blu ray but did want a good upconverting dvd player. On the recommendation of the members here I purchased a yamaha s1800 from eBay for

·
Registered
234 Posts
I tested a cheaper Vizio Blu-Ray player last fall - horrible DVD upscaling (returned to Wal-Mart). I bought a Toshiba BR player on Black Friday. Marginally better DVD upscaling than the Vizio. Unless you get one of the better Blu-Ray players DVD playback will not be as good as the DVD-S1800 Yamaha that I purchased after I sold the Toshiba. Almost any SD DVD player is going to do a better job of upscaling that a cheapish Blu-Ray player.

Freedom from random freezes, lip sync problems and firmware updates is another plus. I have so many DVDs (and am always buying more from bargain bins) that I want a player with stellar DVD playback, not just acceptable DVD playback. My Yamaha and Oppo DVD players have that. I may buy another, more expensive Blu-Ray player this next holiday season, but I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If I had to buy a player right now, I'd probably buy a quality Blu-Ray player, like Denon, or Oppo (or Onkyo, if I wanted to match with my other components, although Onkyo's are rebadges.) Most of the low end ones are terrible at DVD playback as mentioned, and admittedly I'm anal, but I don't like the way some look on my equipment stand (Sony, I'm looking in your direction. You, too, Samsung.)

I'm also hoping someone comes up with a 5 or 6 disc changer, but that might not come to pass.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A Pioneer DV-610 is still a very formidable SD DVD player hovering around $120. A couple of key features such as SACD and DVD-A multi-channel playback over both HDMI and analog (Burr Brown DAC's), and easy mp3 ripping of CD's to flash drive up to 320 kbps makes this unit an excellent compliment to a $100 Bluray player, and an affordable alternative to a $500 OPPO (with nearly all of the capability).

AFAIK, you simply are not going to find SACD or DVD-A on an affordable BDP.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I bought a Yamaha 1800 to save some Net Flix wear and tear on my PS3 which I have already had to replace the BD drive in (cost about the same as the 1800).

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pilot /forum/post/18288134

The same reason you can still buy VCR's. Not everyone has, or wants BD's or BD players, why would someone want to spend $100 on a BD player to play DVD's when they can spend $30?

Actually you will have a hard time finding a VCR player for sale anywhere, unless it is coupled with a DVD player or DVD recorder, in which case it costs twice as much.

Those cheap $30 DVD players are okay for kids and other throw-away uses I suppose, but at AVS we are talking about first quality video on your HDTV. IMO Panasonic makes the very best entry BD player, and from seeing how well it upconverts DVDs (a DVD-R actually) on my brother's 50" Panasonic plasma I can tell you that you will have to spend a lot more to get anything as good or better. And the slow loading times have dropped drastically, especially on Panasonic and some other good brands, and if they (Panasonics) will play DVD-R discs this good without freezing they should have no problem with anything. Plus, need I mention, they will also play BD discs if and when you decide to buy, borrow, or rent one. Oh, and they have internet streaming capabilities that no DVD player has or is likely to ever have. Seriously, at these prices why would anyone consider even a high end DVD player when for the same price they can just add a DVDO Edge video processor that will do a better job improving their video than any DVD player ever made?

For the record my main DVD player is a H/K DVD-48 and it does a superb job over HDMI to my plasma TV. But if it goes bad I won't hesitate to replace it with a Panasonic BD player.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Its hard to compare a $79.99 Yamaha DVD-S1800 (which started out at $450 a few years ago) to a $500-600 DVDO Edge video processor. Anyway, I know the Yamaha will blow a low end BR player out of the water for DVD upscaling. Probably the best solution is one of those paired with a low end BR player (since Blu-ray quality doesn't vary a great deal from cheap to high end players). For less than $200 you have all the bases covered. Only drawback is having two players on two shelves.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/18287661

Now that you can buy a first-rate Panasonic BD player for $99 and it will do a super job upconverting standard DVDs, why should any person watching on anything other than a CRT TV (who's days are also numbered) buy a DVD player? I thought about this when my nephew asked for recommendations on a new DVD player and I found out Panasonic has stopped making DVD players - they now only make BD and DVD-R recorders. This time next year Panasonic will probably be selling comparable BD players for $75 or less, so as I see it in the very near future SD DVD players will be just given away free as a promotional item to people who buy $100 LCD TVs and otherwise mostly used as paperweights. What do you guys think?

Well given the price point, a new fan of BD?

Also nice to see that you still rumble around here.

Given that BD movie discs cost roughly twice DVD (used in particular, and new is still close to twice (a few months after a new release)), upconverting quality (from DVD) is where the the whole thing is at, at this point in time.

My own recent experience, is that top video upconverter chips in players (for DVD discs) get very close to the video quality of BD discs.

Maybe the OPPO BD 983 player class (several units, OPPO and other) does that, but are you seriously saying that a current $99 Panasonic BD player now also upscales DVD video (movie discs) as well as anything else out there???

I find that hard to believe.

So the "universal" BD player is going to have to have one heck of an upscaling ability, to go along with it's BD capibility.

Interesting post, especially by you.

I'll give it min of another 6+ months before I start thinking about buying into the bloody BD game.

Call me "disenchanted" by the whole high def thing.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The internet streaming thing actually turns me off some Blu-Ray players. I know I'm probably in the minority but I like my components to be dedicated to a task. If I want web streaming, I'll buy something else for that purpose.

Granted, I use my DVD player to play CDs, but to me that falls under the "plays optical disc" function.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Let's turn the question around-Why wouldn't you but a dvd player-why would anyone want a bluray player?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb /forum/post/18297274

Let's turn the question around-Why wouldn't you but a dvd player-why would anyone want a bluray player?

Shirley, you can't be serious.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/18291711

Actually you will have a hard time finding a VCR player for sale anywhere, unless it is coupled with a DVD player or DVD recorder, in which case it costs twice as much.

Those cheap $30 DVD players are okay for kids and other throw-away uses I suppose, but at AVS we are talking about first quality video on your HDTV. IMO Panasonic makes the very best entry BD player, and from seeing how well it upconverts DVDs (a DVD-R actually) on my brother's 50" Panasonic plasma I can tell you that you will have to spend a lot more to get anything as good or better. And the slow loading times have dropped drastically, especially on Panasonic and some other good brands, and if they (Panasonics) will play DVD-R discs this good without freezing they should have no problem with anything. Plus, need I mention, they will also play BD discs if and when you decide to buy, borrow, or rent one. Oh, and they have internet streaming capabilities that no DVD player has or is likely to ever have. Seriously, at these prices why would anyone consider even a high end DVD player when for the same price they can just add a DVDO Edge video processor that will do a better job improving their video than any DVD player ever made?

For the record my main DVD player is a H/K DVD-48 and it does a superb job over HDMI to my plasma TV. But if it goes bad I won't hesitate to replace it with a Panasonic BD player.

You're in the SD DVD forum, you will get people to agree with you if you go over to the BD forum. Both are on AVS for a reason.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffredo /forum/post/18299070

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.

Hoping someone would get it.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyfigure /forum/post/18300118

That was a funny movie...remember the "auto pilot"?

Yah, great movie, I haven't seen it since I was a kid though. I always got kick out of the propeller noise in stead of the jet noise.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts