AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any specifics they can give me on these glossy boxes of supposed magic?

Z reviews lost it over these and says get them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Ultras Bookshelves

Z reviews has a new "best speaker ever" review every other month.
Not trying to be negative here because I do watch some of his stuff, but when it comes to audio everybody has their own opinions and preferences.

So let's start with some basics.
Tell us about what speakers, receiver, subwoofer you have now. If you have something what do/don't you like about it.
Tell us about your room. Size (legth, width, height). Is it open to other rooms? What type of floors (hardwood, tile, carpet). Is this in a detached home, attached, etc?
How far away do you sit from the front speakers?
Any limitations in terms of size of speakers and placement?
What is your budget?
Do you mostly watch movies/TV or listen to music?

·
Registered
18,463 Posts
Ultras Bookshelves
I'd get them if used for music in 2.0 and if you like a forward presentation. If you like a "warm" presentation, look elsewhere.

For HT and/or music with a decent subwoofer, there are much cheaper options that will be equal or better.

• JBL Studio 230s on sale at Amazon for $300/pair shipped for example.
  • KEF Q100 for $250/pair also at Amazon.

The Ascend Sierra-1 is sometimes favorable compared to the Ultras, and are about $200 cheaper/pair.

Now Philharmonic Audio has come out with an $800 small bookshelf with 5" woofer and RAAL tweeter that are worth considering too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get them if used for music in 2.0 and if you like a forward presentation. If you like a "warm" presentation, look elsewhere.

For HT and/or music with a decent subwoofer, there are much cheaper options that will be equal or better.

The Ascend Sierra-1 is sometimes favorable compared to the Ultras, and are about $200 cheaper/pair.

Now Philharmonic Audio has come out with an $800 small bookshelf with 5" woofer and RAAL tweeter that are worth considering too.

How do the Wharfedale 10.1 stack up vs that lot as an all rounder ?

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
I'm a fan since they represent a very fair price for top notch build quality and great sound. They're an attractive, very well built speaker. Some people prefer other things for the money, and that's totally fine too. As we well know, how "good" a speaker is almost entirely subjective. I used them as surround speakers in an all-Ultra theater demo room, and wowee. They rocked.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Does anyone have any specifics they can give me on these glossy boxes of supposed magic?

Z reviews lost it over these and says get them .

I thought the Elac B6's were the best thing since sliced bread to you? I get a kick out of yours posts......you're all over the map.:D Anyway, just try the Ultra's if you are interested in them. It's risk free, what with the SVS risk-free audition period.;)

Reactions: gygess

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Haven't heard the ultras, only the primes...my impression was they were overpriced and a bit bright for my liking. my overall impression of SVS...GREAT subwoofers, decent speakers...

For the price of a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelves, your could get a Philharmonitor or Ascend Sierra 1, as Zorba mentioned above. IMHO, both are better speakers, but may not hit as low. Are you using a subwoofer?

Reactions: MeanMachine

·
Registered
5,945 Posts

what this guy says .. the kef q100 is $249... for a reportedly similar product .. the kef ls50 is $900 at a4l... better speakers at a good price... the sierra 1s are reported to be very good ..... NOW... if you like the ultras ,,,buy em ,,, because what i think doesn't make your ears happy... what you like does...:)

·
Registered
5,945 Posts

the 10.1s are very good for music(as long as you don't crave extra detail)...and surprisingly good at ht.... i would say at $200 / pair they are a good buy ...but ..imo.. the kef q100s are a better deal at $249...ymmv

·
Registered
18,463 Posts
I'd take the 10.1 over the Ultras---but that's because I'm 90% music and prefer a warm, midrange-dominant presentation.

That said, the Wharfedales have plenty of clarity to do HT competently...they just don't have a lot of dynamics compared to the JBL or Ultras, and some people find a more aggressive speaker to be more compelling for movies.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
That said, the Wharfedales have plenty of clarity to do HT competently...they just don't have a lot of dynamics compared to the JBL or Ultras, and some people find a more aggressive speaker to be more compelling for movies.
That's a good take on it. I always found the Ultras to REALLY REALLY excel when it comes to movies. For pure music listening I prefer something like the RBH SV-61s (which do cost a bit more, but somewhat comparable). Whether you're going with the SVS Ultras, the RBHs, the KEFs, or many other items, you are going to find some damn nice bookshelves for that ~$1000 price point. I find that price point overall to be my sweet spot and well worth the step up from the $200-500 price range. Beyond that, diminishing returns of course, but the world sure opens up! I'm the sick bastard with a $15,000 pair of reference bookshelves though, so maybe don't listen to me. ;)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought the Elac B6's were the best thing since sliced bread to you? I get a kick out of yours posts......you're all over the map.:D Anyway, just try the Ultra's if you are interested in them. It's risk free, what with the SVS risk-free audition period.;)
Wow all of a sudden ..after hours of off on listening ....I hear the Elac is BIG, FULL , Speakers - boomy bass but SO WARM .. there's no bite? the hi notes ...simply aren't there ....I guess that's the roll off?

I'm waiting for the song to kick in and .....it doesn't.

Now, these are wonderful ...really for an office with Lite 107 playing songs your mother liked ...in 1972 ... but there's no snap jack.... I need pop - crisp ....

They're going back ....as beautiful as those Floyd songs sounded ....I gotta move on .

Now someone said, get the Uni-Fi UB5 - it gives me that POP ...and HT ...and Bass ...and Signature AJ sound.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd take the 10.1 over the Ultras---but that's because I'm 90% music and prefer a warm, midrange-dominant presentation.

$300 JBL - $1000 Ultras

You think it's that stark?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i dont care for any of the speakers mean machine looks at for music.

·
Registered
18,463 Posts
$300 JBL - $1000 Ultras
You think it's that stark?
With a subwoofer and for mostly HT usage, you'd be surprised at just how small the gap really is sometimes. I'd guesstimate 10% tops in this case.

There was a guy on here who recently compared a bunch of budget bookshelves including the Ultras, JBLs, Chanes, etc. He ended up going with the Chanes, but said that the JBLs and Ultras were extremely close to each other despite the huge price difference. Wish I could remember his name so I'd tag him on this thread.

·
Registered
618 Posts
With a subwoofer and for mostly HT usage, you'd be surprised at just how small the gap really is sometimes. I'd guesstimate 10% tops in this case.

There was a guy on here who recently compared a bunch of budget bookshelves including the Ultras, JBLs, Chanes, etc. He ended up going with the Chanes, but said that the JBLs and Ultras were extremely close to each other despite the huge price difference. Wish I could remember his name so I'd tag him on this thread.
mpk
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2873945-9-budget-speaker-shootout-only-1-winner.html

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I feel like I'm one of the only 10 owners of SVS ultras on this forum that enjoys them? Seriously, so many people give them so much flack but majority of these people haven't heard them? What gives?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I feel like I'm one of the only 10 owners of SVS ultras on this forum that enjoys them? Seriously, so many people give them so much flack but majority of these people haven't heard them? What gives?
I don't think many give them outright flak, it's that they are massively overpriced. Read the shootout in the link above your post, the JBL 230's brought much of what the Ultras brought to the table, just for less than half the price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts