AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering buying a PS3 so I'll have the ability to watch BluRay movies. I'd also be selling my XBox360 to help pay for part of the cost, so I'd be using the PS3 for gaming as well. I'm under the belief that the PS3 is backwards compatible with PS2 games, so that's another really nice move and another reason why I'm probably making the switch.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do it? If anyone wants to talk me out of it, this is your chance! =)

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
The 360 is better.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This might be the best time to sell the 360 before any price drop occurs or the new HDMI 120gb model is introduced. There isnt very much gaming content on PS3 at the moment, if gaming is a high priority for you, but it's a great blu-ray player.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
as an owner of both a 360 & ps3, i can't think of one reason not to swtich to ps3.

unless you have a doom & gloom attitude toward Sony & Blu-Ray.

Here's my top ten reason ps3 is/will be better than xbox360:

1) quieter system (a serious plus for movie playback)

2) appears to be a more reliable CE device (less defective units)

3) Solid future proof BD playback device with all decoders built in (or comming)

in every unit.

4)HDMI 1.3

5)Every major 3rd party developer will make games for it. so pretty much everything but Halo will make it's way to ps3 & much much more. Japanese publishers prefer sony.

6)Free online

7)Peice of mind that in 3 more yrs your system wont be abandoned by it's creators (IE xbox totally abandonned by MSFT)

8)CES 2007

9)Real backwards compatibility

10) Innovative new games to utilize six axxis motion sensing, something not available in an HD console other than ps3.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
One reason if it matters to you......If you don't have a receiver with HDMI and want the PCM sound then you will be out of luck as the PS3 doesnt have analog outs for the PCM sound. If you have a receiver with HDMI or dont care about the lossless audio then it wont matter.

Mike

·
Registered
945 Posts
Oh yeah, and the scaler on the PS3 is a huge issue if you have an old HDTV/Projector.

If your TV cannot accept BOTH 720P or 1080I you will get screwed in one way or another. All movies are 1080P so if your TV cannot accept 1080I / 1080P your movies' resolution is output at 480P. If your screen does not accept 720P, then games that are in 720P will be displayed in 480P. There is no video scaler.

If your TV can accept both resolutions then you are fine.

·
Registered
16,256 Posts
According to the newspapers, the PS3 has many glitches, including problems with backwards compatibility. IMO, I'd wait a few months before buying, until they get the glitches out (and the price drops).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

All movies are 1080P so if your TV cannot accept 1080I / 1080P your movies' resolution is output at 480P.

*No* HDTV doesn't accept a 1080i signal.

Quote:
If your screen does not accept 720P, then games that are in 720P will be displayed in 480P.

This is the only concern.

(So CRFTony, does your TV accept 720p?)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
To the OP

Right now the BD story for PS3 is much more convincing than the gaming side, there's not enough games on PS3 to make the gaming side worthwhile. If I was younger, I would just get the PS3 for the XMAS bragging rights alone, but now, if not for the BD movies, I would probably have waited until FF XIII before getting one. ( I didn't get an X360 until I saw N3 demo in a store --- big mistake. Great demo - terrible game).

Now, I have two 60GB. The 2nd one is a dedicated BD player permanently placed in the main serious HT. I didn't even register the online freebie downloads on this machine yet. The first is for the children in the gaming HT - that's for them to play their games along with the 360 (PS3 also replaces the PS2). They also use it to watch Click/TN/Nacho Libre and other mindless fare with their friends. Actually, they spend more time with friends on the movies than Gears of War on the 360 or Resistance :FOM on PS3 at this point. And their display is just a mediocre 37" Acer AT3705 1080P LCD.

So summary : if you want ps3 exclusively to play games, wait for better games. If you want it to watch movies. Do you see a cheaper BD player out there?

·
Registered
361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

According to the newspapers, the PS3 has many glitches, including problems with backwards compatibility. IMO, I'd wait a few months before buying, until they get the glitches out (and the price drops).

Sony isn't going to be redesigning the system, they'll be fixing known issues through firmware updates. There's really no reason not to jump in - if there's enough content available to interest you. That's where most people will find it hard to justify the cost. There just aren't many PS3 titles worth owning yet, but the system IS a great Blu-ray player. I've thoroughly enjoyed using my 20GB model as a DVD / Blu-ray player. It's quiet, seems reliable so far, and the potential for future improvement through firmware updates looks huge.

Consider that first-generation standalone Bluray players are already being phased out, and contrast that with an expected ten-year lifespan for the PS3. Sony will be investing in softare-based improvements long after other current players have been completely abandoned.

Back on the gaming the vast majority of the PS2 library works fine; the mass media really blew the problems out of proportion. Around 200 titles (out of 8,000 worldwide) exhibit some kind of problem, many with only minor audiovisual glitches. Compare that to the Xbox 360 where only a few hundred titles from the original Xbox work AT ALL, and you'll realize how badly the press exaggerated the problem.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have both the 360 and the PS3 and unless you're more interested in watching movies than playing games, I wouldn't advise selling the 360. I would wait and save up for the PS3, so you can have both. Right now the gaming on the PS3 is seriously lacking when compared to the 360 (unless you're a hardcore PS2 lover). It's a great BD player, though.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you are a serious gamer I'd advise you to keep the 360. It has many exclusive games and even though there are many mulitplatform games on both PS3 and 360, reviews has shown that games on the 360 score higher.

The only reason I see for you to sell your xbox for a 360 is if games doesn't really matter much to you and you want a "cheap" blu ray player. Keep in mind there aren't really any great games coming out on the PS3 in 2007 compared to the 360.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
If you sell your XBox 360 to help buy a PS3 then you'd simply be getting rid of a game system for a Blu-Ray player.

If you are more into games keep the 360

If you really want to play Blu-Ray movies buy the PS3

Why not just buy the $200 HD DVD add on to watch High Definition movies?

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaj /forum/post/0

Why shouldn't you get a PS3? Well if you want to watch HD DVD's you shouldn't get one! It just comes down to what games you prefer, in my experience the Playstation and xbox are equally as bad for games.

Equally bad. I like that!

The format wars: An emotionally charged quest to come to a concensus on what represents the lesser of two evils.

Gary

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Sorry, I can't think of any good reason not to get the PS3 instead of a standalone player. The analog outs would be the only thing, but if you're planning on getting a new HDMI receiver at some point, it won't matter as soon as you get that.

As has been mentioned before, it will be very well supported. You can bet that they will work on any incompatibility problems that occur, and will fix it if it ever gets compromised. A ten-year life span is probably reaching, but it will certainly be actively supported for at least 5 years.

As for the games, I can't comment on those, but you have to remember that it's just getting started. Better games will come. Personally, I have many games to choose from because I never had a PS2 (shocking, I know).

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley /forum/post/0

If your screen does not accept 720P, then games that are in 720P will be displayed in 480P. There is no video scaler.

Hmm. Is there a list of game resolutions somewhere? Are they clearly stated on the box? My TV won't take 720P, and I'd like to check the titles I'd be interested in to see if this would affect me.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
Why shouldn't you get a PS3? I'll tell you. It's ugly, it's loud, there are no games for it, the interface sucks, it uses blue tooth, Blu-ray playback looks like vhs tapes did, and to be honest, I think it has a funny smell to it.

Just kidding. I got one Friday for use as a Blu-ray player only. I am thoroughly impressed with this piece of hardware. I'm not a serious gamer, but my wife got me a 360 for Christmas and after reviewing the titles for both game systems, I am going to keep the 360 in case I want to play something. The PS3 really is a nice unit, though. Knock on wood.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.