AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just upgraded the drive on my 5040. I could really use the 40gigger in one of my PCs. I've read in several places the recommendation to put the thing in static-protective plastic and store it safely, but I'm wondering what good will that really do me? If I make sure that I keep my backup image, and maybe grab Mikeyboy's 5040 image (does he have one?) as a second backup, why would I need to preserve the original drive?

TIA,

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Six of one, half dozen the other.

When the unit screws up you can put the old drive in and instantly know if the drive is bad or the motherboard.

On the other hand if replay does a firmware upgrade as they did on the 20XX and the 40XX the old drive won't boot anyway.

At a minimum keep a backup image and the software to do the upgrade on hand.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Also incase you need to send it back to the factory for repairs.. its nice to atleast have all the original parts in it less questions asked .. I am sure if they see a BRANDX hard disk in it that isn't the original they can just ship it back to you and say "though cookies"...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mikeyboy: Ok, that confirms... I wasn't sure if I was missing something about the whole process.... I guess the backup images are really all that's needed. I forgot to mention that this device is bound for my father who will definitely not be swapping drives. He's 6 hours away by train, so there won't be any quick swapping going on. I'm gonna go ahead and start doing my DVD ripping on the 40 gigger. Thanks for your response.

Bixit219: if something breaks, I have no warranty at this point. Do you think that they won't even accept payment to fix it unless the original drive is put back in? Thanks for your response.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
...Do you think that they won't even accept payment to fix it unless the original drive is put back in? Thanks for your response.
If you do send it in, I would put the original drive back in.

However I wouldn't worry too much about needing to send it in. Perhaps 95% of the time (Mikeyboy can give a better estimate) the hdd is the only thing that fails on these. And hey you're already an expert on that! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.