AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading up, and looking at the DVD Shootout (I wish they would do another one before XMAS 03) and I am looking at the Denon 2900.

My questions are simply:

1) Why shouldnt I get the 2900?

2) What are the big differences between it and 2200?

3) What other players are around the $600 or less range that I should be looking into? (I know the 2900 is a bit more than that, but if its the best, I can justify it)

ME: This will be hooked to a Pioneer RPTV (532, not Elite) via Component. I dont currently have any SACD or DVD-A needs, so the fact this unit supports them at all is a plus. I've just decided that the ghetto non progressive Pioneer 525 thats served me well for 2+ years needs replacing. My budget (like many others) does not allow for the 5900.

And I would consider a 720p DVI out player, if there was a larger selection and more "name brands". Since my TV doesnt support 720p, its a non issue for now anyway.

Lastly, if the 2900 is a good choice, anyone know of any good deals on them? $815 or so on a couple Yahoo Stores seems to be the best deal I can find for a new one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMHO, the only thing I find annoying is the FWD/REW control when listening to audio. It works by is jerky and irritating with no attenuation of the volume level.

The PQ is very good. It is better than my Panny XP50 on most material. Audio is also very good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my 2900 (compared to my Sony9000es) is the ergonomics. The unit performs wonderfully, but the usage is not polished at all. What kind of player leaves the drawer open if you shut it off before pressing the close button?????????

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. So basically your saying there isnt a good reason to get something else.

Suggestions on price? Is $815 a decent price or am I missing some "gold mine AVSForum Vendor" thats got it for less?

I have a research call into a Wholesaler that a friend of mine used to work for. They only list up to the 2200 on their online catalog, so I have her tracking down if they can get the 2900 or not and what the dealer price will be.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Though they are out of stock currently, if you are willing to buy refurb, you can get a 2900 from Ecost for $510. Mine is on its way.

Damark also has refurbs, and usually have stock, though they charge more, about $685 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone know what AVScience charges for this unit?

It looks like all the "Approved" Vendors online want MSRP, and according to Denon, they wont honor the warranty if you buy it from someone whos not on their approved list.

If the difference in warranty is 1 yr vs 90 days (Refurb) I may just buy this refurbed as mentioned previously.

PS: Is a 2800 MKII at all comparable to the 2900? I see them around alot and much cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 2900 is far superior to the 2800 mkII. Most of the chroma upsampling error is gone (there is the flag encryption issue to look into). The picture is much smoother on the 2900.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Casper42,

does the 2200 have all the features that you need in a universal player? I think that is the main question. The 2900 is a great player, no doubt in my mind. At CEDIA almost every demonstration was using a Denon 2900.

I plan to demo this unit as soon as local retailers get their hands on one.

my .02

·
Registered
802 Posts
I unpacked mine this morning. $689 from Dakmart.com. Even though the stamp on the underside of the unit says it may show "cosmetic scratching", I can find no blemish on this unit. It is the twin to the one I paid much more for in May. The build quality is great, and the official warranty sheet from Denon says that it is backed for six months, not 90 days. What might go wrong will happen in the six months, I feel sure. I love this machine.

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Only prob with refurbished is! imho, u r stuck with stigma of refurbished forever for re sale sake etc..

·
Registered
802 Posts
The only difference between a first line unit and mine, as far as I can tell so far, is the inked stamp on the bottom. What do you want to bet that my wife's fingernail polish remover will take care of that little problem? If it runs like a duck, looks like a duck, and plays like a duck, who's to call it a goose?

·
Registered
802 Posts
It came in the original box, all numbers match. The warranty is for B Stock, 6 months. Outside of that, it appears as good as new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.