AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts
One word: Ratings.

Movies, uncut with commercials and unedited for time and content, are easily available from a variety of sources, if one wants to watch a movie.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I first got my HDTV in 2008, the OTA networks showed a lot of movies (I noticed). This year and last year, there are barely any movies on during prime time.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I watch movies and TV Shows on DVD and watch sports and some TV Shows OTA.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
They also have to fill their cable channels with content and YOU pay a subscription fee for that, but you dont for OTA.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18296691

One word: Ratings.

Movies, uncut with commercials and unedited for time and content, are easily available from a variety of sources, if one wants to watch a movie.

Do you mean that movies would have lower ratings/smaller audience than shows?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeschmoe007 /forum/post/18302691

Do you mean that movies would have lower ratings/smaller audience than shows?

Correct.

People who like movies have lots of ways to view them as seen in the theater, so the experience of watching a movie on TV isn't that appealing. Thus, ratings for TV movies are not what they used to be.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Ratings are the reason why movies have disappeared from primet time network TV.

But movies have also largely vanished from syndication. That's partly because there are fewer time periods open to movies (independent stations used to run several movies a day in major markets, but the hours are now getting filled with other kinds of programming), but it's also because it is more profitable to sell to a cable network then to deal with a couple hundred TV station. And that's not about people opting to watch movies uncut and without commercials, because there are plenty of cable channels filled with edited movies interrupted by incessant commercials -- so the audience is still there, even if it's not the same sized audience that movies were once able to draw...

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Unfortunately(or maybe fortunately if it would rob PQ from a HD channel) we don't have This network in my area. And when it comes to movies I basically never watch them OTA. Instead if I catch a few minutes of them and they look good I note the title and either rent it or get at my local library on DVD. I just can't stand TV editing, either for content or to fit in a time slot. Oh and even if I record it off TV I've got to scan all the commercials every 15 minutes or so. Much easier to just get movies on DVD. I don't really care to get prime time TV on DVD since you lose the HD and very little TV is on BR yet.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
This TV is on a sub from a station that has the most modern encoders here (WCIU-DT), so it really doesn't hurt the main channel noticably. Other than maybe The Three Stooges on Saturday evenings occasionally, the only things I ever watch on it are local pro sports, and they looikfine (and you know how picky I am about that). Other than CBS, that's really about the only other non-headache-inducing HD channel here. Can't speak for other areas, though.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I'm guessing it's owned by MGM, as most of the movies shown are from that studio. They've shown some good movies with little interruption, but it's not in HD (at least here locally), though some of its promos are widescreen.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18305386

This TV is on a sub from a station that has the most modern encoders here (WCIU-DT), so it really doesn't hurt the main channel noticably. Other than maybe The Three Stooges on Saturday evenings occasionally, the only things I ever watch on it are local pro sports, and they looikfine (and you know how picky I am about that). Other than CBS, that's really about the only other non-headache-inducing HD channel here. Can't speak for other areas, though.

You get This in HD? I guess you are lucky. I like the catalog of old movies they have, but the SD encoders/bitrate is horrible where I live.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/18305414

I'm guessing it's owned by MGM, as most of the movies shown are from that studio. They've shown some good movies with little interruption, but it's not in HD (at least here locally), though some of its promos are widescreen.

The station itself is owned by a local (Chicago) entity, Weigel Corporation, I believe (it's based out of here). And yeah, the movies are mostly MGM-owned.

It doesn't look bad, nor detract from the main, HD channel, because they have the latest encoders, use VBR, and have engineers who actually know what they're doing over there (that's the channel with the Retro subs I told you about, jjeff).

I know it looks pretty bad on an all-around, lousy-looking CBS channel out of Milwaukee (which I used to get and could see with my own eyes), so I can imagine that not everyone is as lucky as we are with the situation. I won't say the sub is 100% artifact-free, all the time - but it's usually watchable-enough here.

·
Registered
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18305633

I know it looks pretty bad on an all-around, lousy-looking CBS channel out of Milwaukee (which I used to get and could see with my own eyes), so I can imagine that not everyone is as lucky as we are with the situation.

And, of course, the oddity is that Weigel owns both stations (WCIU and WDJT).

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTNgod /forum/post/18318244

And, of course, the oddity is that Weigel owns both stations (WCIU and WDJT).

Yeah, I've tried watching those Brewers games on the weekends in the summers on the WDJT sub, and you talk about putting a hurt on one's eyes. I don't know how you guys put up with that. They're so blurry it gives me a headache, even when trying to watch them on an old CRT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts