AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,087 Posts
Bachelor,

That's because the subwoofers you've been looking at are designed for stereo music systems, not home theater systems. You don't mention manufacturer or model numbers, so they might be optimized for high end audio systems or they might just be older designs.

I suspect they also have L&R outputs. Models like that are intended to go between L&R preamp outputs and L&R amplifier inputs. Some include a built-in crossover network, others need external crossovers.

Anyhow, they should work fine when connected to the subwoofer/LFE output of a home theater system, either with a Y cable or with just one side driven.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Selden,

That isn't necessarily the case.

It's to improve flexibility so that you can use them in Stereo or HT systems relatively easily.

With the L/R inputs you can run the HT setup as "no sub", redirect the L/R amp outs to the subwoofer, use its internal crossover, take the High Pass outputs to the main amplifier -- voila, a perfectly integrated subwoofer for HT or stereo.

To toss it off as "designed for HT" or "designed for stereo" is not an accurate description.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
John,

With the L/R inputs you can run the HT setup as "no sub", redirect the L/R amp outs to the subwoofer, use its internal crossover, take the High Pass outputs to the main amplifier -- voila, a perfectly integrated subwoofer for HT or stereo.

What about the situation where the sub has L/R inputs but no high pass filtering or outputs? My M&K MX-125mkII is that way.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a sub with stereo inputs. i'm currently using only the left channel in. should i use a y connector to hook up both inputs? does it help on the internal amp? more distortion because two inputs one speaker? i know i always could try it and see if i like it. i've never seen a one line in sub before.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Bachelor,

I would see it making minimal difference either way --

Michael,

Sounds like M&K intends this to be used in conjunction with one of their in-line High Pass filters for the mains. You'd use a Y adaptor out of the L/R preamp output, insert the High Pass filter on the feeds to the mains, and align the subwoofers crossover with the characteristics of the high pass filter.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.