AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to a local retailer with 4 dvd's in hand to get a personal demo of the tosh 52hm85

i wanted to compare to a crt-rp hitachi i just bought

all 4 looked bad..including the 5th element which looks good on anything!!

he used a samsung 850 upconverted to 1080i

all 4 just sucked, artifacts everywhere, not sharp

what gives? the demo loops on the tosh look like the best in the store to me, very sharp and nice colors

are others having problems with dvd on tosh dlp 52hm85/84 series?

·
Registered
337 Posts
maybe you should try upscale to 720p as that is the native rez of these sets. By upscaling to 1080i you are adding more conversions.

I would try 720p or even just send 480i and let the set do all the scaling and see how that goes.

I have to agree that these sets look REALLY good at futureshop. darn tempted...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i went to fs victoria and tried 5th element,heat, ghost in the the darkness and last of the mohicans...all looked very poor

not even close to as nice on the hitachi crt-rp (which has other issues which is why i am thinking of switching)

Quote:
maybe you should try upscale to 720p as that is the native rez of these sets. By upscaling to 1080i you are adding more conversions.
we were using an upconverting samsung 850, so it was converted in the samsung and then fed directly at 1080i to 1080i...maybe we should have tried upconverting to 720

i read somewhere that a toshiba dvd player would make a difference, also, due to a remote screwup, we couldn't into the picture settings menus which might have made a difference but i don't think so

i keep wondering if there was just a button we needed to push but couldn't figure out what it would be

again, on the hd loop feed it looked the best of all of them to me

·
Registered
337 Posts
If it is a CRT RPTV then it does 1080i that is why it looks good with your player upscaled to 1080i.

However DLP and LCD RPTVs are native 720p (well 99% for now) therefore if you send a 1080i signal it will convert it to 720p. most do it by turning the 1080i to 540p then upsclaing to 720p.

so you are doing 480i to 1080i to 540p to 720p. So at least 3 conversions/upscalings.

Which Hitachi do you have? I am thinking of getting a 57", would love to hear your comments.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HD TheatreWideâ„¢ Modes (480i,480p/1080i) is listed as one of their display modes

plus it accepts 1080i

so that can't be it

it accepts 1080 and displays in 1080

we were unable to get into "picture settings' because of remote mixup..i wonder if it somehow was set to 720??

but i think the set is smart enough to detect the incoming setting and then output correctly...maybe not?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You're not listening very well. That model of tv can ONLY (i.e. ONLY) display 720p. If you "upconvert" to 1080i you are doing multiple conversions.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok

"HD TheatreWideâ„¢ Modes (480i,480p/1080i)"

the above from the specs refers to the inputs it accepts not what it outputs is that correct?

i see that the sammy 850 does upconvert to 720P so apparently this may be what happened...he had it set to output 1080 instead of 720

that would explain the problem

i am the first to admit that i am still trying to understand this input/output/upconversion thing

acura, do you have a tosh dlp and are you getting good dvd quality, if so, what is your hardware and settings?

i am keenly interested as this is a set that in every other respect i like a lot...i don't want a bad demo to put me off

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have a RP-LCD, which like the Tosh, scales everything to 720p.

It could go either way. The Tv and DVD may be equally good at scaling the DVD to 720p ... or one may be better or worse. Really, this varies totally by DVD player, tv, method of connection, etc. There are so many variables.

But now you have the picture ... any DVD player if it upscales should be set to 720p for this set. Also make sure you are using DVI or HDMI connections when you demo material.

Edit: BTW, I don't use a scaling player, since the tv scales pretty well. But with DVDs, some look WOW, some look good, and some look pretty bad. Really, it's totally dependent on the DVD itself.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Keep in mind also that if that TV is stuck in one of the pre-set modes like "sports" for example which is the brightest, the picture will almost certainly look poor. It's tough when you don't have a remote and can't change any of the settings to see if the PQ improves.

I'd echo the sentiment that PQ is also largely dependent on source, in your case the DVD's. The Fifth Element is one of the best looking DVD's I own. I've got others that are almost unwatchable. It's not the fault of the set. Without getting brightness, contrast, color, tint etc set right, even The Fifth Element can look pretty nasty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.