AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: When I mount a blu ray iso from my home server on my HTPC and play it, it stutters way past the point of being unwatchable. I don't know how to figure out what the problem is or how to address it.

Here's what I've checked:

CPU: when it's doing it, CPU usage is around 5-10%, so I don't think it's a CPU issue.

Network: I don't think it's a network issue as network usage shows up as 3-5 mbs/sec in Resource Manager, and when I just straight copy the iso to the HD it gets up to over 500 mbs/sec.

Software: the rips will play completely fine when streamed using the exact same software (Virtual CloneDrive to mount, PowerDVD 10 Ultra to play) on a different computer.

Plus, when I copy the iso to the HD itself and mount and play it, it plays fine. So what could the issue be?

HTPC (brand new build and install):

Intel i3 550

Gigabyte H55M-UD2H

Palit GeForce GTS 450

Adata SSD 60 GB

4 GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair HX 520 PSU

Windows 7 Pro, PowerDVD 10 Ultra, Virtual CloneDrive

Server:

Q6600

Gigabyte EP43T-USB3

NVidia GT 8800

4 GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair HX 620 PSU

Windows 7 Pro

The computers are wired together (no wireless connections) via a NetGear 3700 router.

I appreciate any and all help! The HTPC was mainly designed to play blu ray isos from the server (it has no onboard storage other than the small SSD), so I really want to figure out what is wrong.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinda /forum/post/19563378

Problem: When I mount a blu ray iso from my home server on my HTPC and play it, it stutters way past the point of being unwatchable. I don't know how to figure out what the problem is or how to address it.

Here's what I've checked:

CPU: when it's doing it, CPU usage is around 5-10%, so I don't think it's a CPU issue.

Network: I don't think it's a network issue as network usage shows up as 3-5 mbs/sec in Resource Manager, and when I just straight copy the iso to the HD it gets up to over 500 mbs/sec.

Software: the rips will play completely fine when streamed using the exact same software (Virtual CloneDrive to mount, PowerDVD 10 Ultra to play) on a different computer.

Plus, when I copy the iso to the HD itself and mount and play it, it plays fine. So what could the issue be?

HTPC (brand new build and install):

Intel i3 550

Gigabyte H55M-UD2H

Palit GeForce GTS 450

Adata SSD 60 GB

4 GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair HX 520 PSU

Windows 7 Pro, PowerDVD 10 Ultra, Virtual CloneDrive

Server:

Q6600

Gigabyte EP43T-USB3

NVidia GT 8800

4 GB G.Skill RAM

Corsair HX 620 PSU

Windows 7 Pro

The computers are wired together (no wireless connections) via a NetGear 3700 router.

I appreciate any and all help! The HTPC was mainly designed to play blu ray isos from the server (it has no onboard storage other than the small SSD), so I really want to figure out what is wrong.

1)try a different file, an MKV or an avi....run in through 2 different players, powerdvd versus mpc-hc for example and see if that makes any difference

2)if everything stutters copy the file locally and try to play it

I think the stutter is network related, if you copy the file locally and it plays fine then try a few networking things
http://www.sysprobs.com/windows-7-network-slow

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried the demo of TotalMedia Theater 5, with the exact same results: stutters when played over network, but fine from the hard drive. So it seems to be not a PowerDVD-specific issue.

I only have ISO file types, I don't have my blu rays in any other type...

Although it stutters when played over the network, it seems to transfer at great speeds when I just copy it directly to the hard drive. Transferring an 18 GB file takes about 3 minutes. In other words my network seems fine otherwise, and I'm able to stream to another Windows 7 Pro PC without problems from the same server (even though that one is wirelessly connected). Still, I'll see if I can play around with some of these settings listed in your link to see if they help.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinda /forum/post/19563736

I tried the demo of TotalMedia Theater 5, with the exact same results: stutters when played over network, but fine from the hard drive. So it seems to be not a PowerDVD-specific issue.

I only have ISO file types, I don't have my blu rays in any other type...

Although it stutters when played over the network, it seems to transfer at great speeds when I just copy it directly to the hard drive. Transferring an 18 GB file takes about 3 minutes. In other words my network seems fine otherwise, and I'm able to stream to another Windows 7 Pro PC without problems from the same server (even though that one is wirelessly connected). Still, I'll see if I can play around with some of these settings listed in your link to see if they help.

It seems like the player is elminated, just to make sure you can use something like makemkv to create a different file from the bluray, but I doubt it will do anything. Just copy the file locally and play it, if that works it eliminates everything but the network and helps you narrow down the root cause.

How do you access the iso, is it on a mapped network drive?

The problem could also be the software used to mount the iso, if you use powerdvd shouldn't be able to point it straight to the iso file without using a virtual drive?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I'm using Homegroups to navigate to the ISO files. I'm mounting them in Virtual CloneDrive. Mounting them in VCD from the HTPC hard drive is flawless, it's just when I mount them from over the network between the HTPC and the server that there's problems.

If I mount them on that wireless computer from the server, they also play fine, which I don't get. That computer shows a little faster network use on the Resource Monitor (from 2-18 mbps compared to the 3-5 on the HTPC).

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinda /forum/post/19563993

Right now I'm using Homegroups to navigate to the ISO files. I'm mounting them in Virtual CloneDrive. Mounting them in VCD from the HTPC hard drive is flawless, it's just when I mount them from over the network between the HTPC and the server that there's problems.

If I mount them on that wireless computer from the server, they also play fine, which I don't get. That computer shows a little faster network use on the Resource Monitor (from 2-18 mbps compared to the 3-5 on the HTPC).

Ok, clearly it's a network problem....does the third computer which plays files fine also run win 7, and does it also belong to the homegroup?

Open up the properties of the network adapters on the 2 computers(wireless one and broken one) and compare to make sure they're the same.

Also try leaving the homegroup and map the network drive after using workgroups(XP Way).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know how or why, but uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the network adapter seems to have done the trick. It's the exact same driver version. I don't know why that made a difference. In any event, I'm now able to stream the Blu Ray without any problems.

Calcvictim, thanks for the help in narrowing down the problem. Wouldn't have thought to start looking at the network adapter specifically. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinda /forum/post/19564386

I don't know how or why, but uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the network adapter seems to have done the trick. It's the exact same driver version. I don't know why that made a difference. In any event, I'm now able to stream the Blu Ray without any problems.

Calcvictim, thanks for the help in narrowing down the problem. Wouldn't have thought to start looking at the network adapter specifically. Appreciate the help!

I have learned not to question it, and just be happy it finally works! Glad you got it running!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bovinda

Glad you got it running

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm seeing a similar problem. When Blu-ray is played from local HD it's perfect, when played from network drive I get a video or video and audio freeze for a second or two every 15min or so... I've tried this on 2 different machines and same problem. Computers have plenty of bandwidth and so does the 1G network.

Any other idea's???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts