AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20910769

It's obvious from your statements that you fell for the whole "thin is in" marketing. For me substance is more important than appearance.

Give me a break. I have an opinion that is clearly different from yours. I strongly dislike the look of an image being projected through a projection screen from behind. That doesn't mean I'm obviously completely mistaken and have been sucked in by clever marketers. If that were the case, I'd think that LED TVs were better than plasma....

It's amusing, though, that you followed up your "you fell for the marketing" line with..... a ridiculously unrealistic and exaggerated marketing image.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910782

Give me a break. I have an opinion that is clearly different from yours. I strongly dislike the look of an image being projected through a projection screen from behind. That doesn't mean I'm obviously completely mistaken and have been sucked in by clever marketers. If that were the case, I'd think that LED TVs were better than plasma....

It's amusing, though, that you followed up your "you fell for the marketing" line with..... a ridiculously unrealistic and exaggerated marketing image.

The comments quoted were obviously about the look of the exterior of the TV, but you're welcome to your opinion.

The only thing unrealistic about the marketing image is the standard simulated picture that every TV company uses.

If you don't like that image, how about a "real" one?

Looks pretty sweet to me. (And check out the bezel surrounding the picture, compared to 2-3 inches on a typical flat screen.) Hardly old-fashioned or ugly, IMHO. (but definitely big!) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340721

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20910826

The comments quoted were obviously about the look of the exterior of the TV

No, they weren't. The "old-fashioned" and "rear-projection look" comments were 100% about the picture itself. I can understand why you thought I was talking about the sets themselves, as I didn't really make it clear.

I am strictly criticizing the picture quality of DLP. It's the characterstic look of an image projected through a screen that I find particularly distasteful, compared to high quality plasma and front projection.

I am happy that you are pleased with your TV, though. Who wants to think they own something substandard?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910867

No, they weren't. The "old-fashioned" and "rear-projection look" comments were 100% about the picture itself.

It's because of comments like this that myself and Augerhandle believed you were also commenting on the appearance of the actual enclosure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910667

It doesn't have anything to do with how the box itself looks, though that is indeed a factor as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910741

And the boxes are, honestly, big and ugly.

It's obvious you were commenting on the DLP box appearance also. The same line is given by people at Best Buy, "thin is in" and anything thicker than a 2 inches is unfashionable and old or it's "big and ugly."

In the end, DLP has a place in Hi-Def video. It's not junk, far from it. The picture quality is on-par, if not better than most LCD and Plasmas. For the price, DLps can't be beaten. Just because you can't hang it on a wall doesn't mean it's junk. It's not like you are going to carry this thing and move it around everyday.

·
Registered
88 Posts
the hatred towards dlp is all due to marketing. with people being constantly told they need to get the thinnest biggest picture they can fit through their door, its no wonder people scoff at a tv that looks like a blown up version of the very tv everyone was told to get rid of. with a side by side comparison of the same picture, a properly set dlp and plasma/lcd/whatever will look very similar. the only 2 major differences are physical size and price.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
The Dlp picture I see is nothing short of breath taking and at times and boggles my mind that its so big and yet has razor sharp detail. It has a cinematic feel ( not just from size) that no Plasma or Lcd ( own one) can match in my book
As a videophile my vote goes to Dlp

So haters get no love here!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Johnathan if you don't like rear projection in general due to huge misconceptions why are you trolling the rear projection forum?

Maybe Dlp isn't as bad as I thought it was which is in large part due to the threads on this forum. But when you consider I got my crt rear projection for $200 and its a 2002 that's all original I see $200 in maintenance as being high. Plus the fact that its probably larger in every single way but hight and thickness for sure
anyways how about a new tangent. Sound quality. I haven't yet seen a thin screen tv that can deliver the mids and bass as accurately as a big ugly box style tv. And by thin I mean less than 12" thick. 2k for a tv plus $? For a sound system to get decent sound? Call me a tight wad if you want. Keep in mind OP was asking why people hate Dlp and hate is an emotion which is just like an opinion.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules /forum/post/20911283

Johnathan if you don't like rear projection in general due to huge misconceptions why are you trolling the rear projection forum?

Come on man. I'm not trolling. The OP asked why people don't like DLP, and I'm trying to answer the question.

These are just TVs. Don't take this stuff personally. I'm not insulting you by saying I don't like DLPs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure why anyone would hate on DLP just to hate on them, but some of that hate might be from past problems (Example: Rainbows) with Rear Projection TVs. Shoot, I was guilty of this with Plasma while shopping for a new HDTV recently. I held burn in issue against new Plasmas, but have learned that's not such an issue these days. Sorta like some people still believe new DLP/RPTV have the same problems as past Rear projection TVs.

So far we love our 73740 Mitsubishi, and its picture is amazing. We never have been so immersed while watch TV like this before, that's for sure. We still can't believe the price we paid for this TV experience. My Wife had to go to the Hospital the other night, and the 4 Paramedics couldn't stop saying how great the TV looked. They where seriously taken a back by it, and Family/Friends have been the same way. When I told them we paid ($1,644) for the TV their jaws hit the floor. One guy said he thought we'd paid $4,000 - $6,000 dollars for it, and couldn't believe it only cost that much.

Some people are going to want a thin TV because that makes them happy or it works for their Home decor. Some of those LEDs TV have a great picture, but I couldn't live with with the Flashlighing & Clouding issues some (Edge-lit ones) have. It was a roll of the dice pretty much, and it knock them out of the running for our next TV purchase. It was down to 3D DLP or 3D Plasma, and the 73740 DLP won out in the end. No TV tech is perfect, but my advice is just find a TV that makes you happy. This 73740 DLP works for us, and we are so pleased with its picture. HD stuff really shines on this TV, and watching 3D/2D Movies is just breathtaking.

·
Registered
297 Posts
inuyasha-rules, I find it ironic how you love CRT, but don't see that DLP is the closest technology that compares to CRT. I went from a Hitachi 51" RP CRT that was professionally calibrated to a Mitsubishi 73837 DLP and have no regrets. I'm a hardcore gamer that loves CRT's, but DLP handles motion just as well. An LCD or plasma is laughable in comparison for gaming.

People have these misconceptions on DLP based on their problems in the past (rainbow effect, expensive bulbs), which I can understand. I had that same bias once too, but if you actually educate yourself, you will see that they don't have those problems anymore. Unfortunately, it is getting more rare to see them in stores so most will still be blinded by ignorance on the matter.

As for the look of rear projection jonnythan, I find LCD's and plasmas to appear too artificial. It looks like a glossy veneer, not a cinematic picture that you can be immersed in. But that is subjective, so to each their own.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts

Quote:
Ignorance is my first reaction.

And my only reaction other than they can't be hung on walls.

Excellent idea for a thread, lets make it a 'sticky'.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts
Lbear;

BTW, they are lamps, not bulbs.

Bulbs sounds as something you get from Home Depot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just got back from Costco where all they had was thin paneled LCD and Plasma. They were marketing the "thinner is better" thing like crazy. Each brand was trying to claim they were thinner than the other.
It's really stupid if you think about it. It's as if the most important thing in the TV is how thin it is. The picture quality is second or third.

They had a 70" Sharp LCD on display for $2,600 + Tax = $2,800. The picture was not that great, it had a HDMI 1080i signal going to it but the picture was pretty bad compared to my DLP.

Sad that the public is being "fed" this marketing gimmick of large flat screen TVs must be 1" thick in order to be relevant.

I can understand 32" - 47" being thin because those are usually mounted on walls but when it comes to BIG SCREEN - home theater systems, you need a center/stand for the center speaker, DVD player, amplifier, etc. What's the big deal with just putting the TV on the stand?

·
Registered
16,673 Posts

Quote:
Sad that the public is being "fed" this marketing gimmick of large flat screen TVs must be 1" thick in order to be relevant.

And the stupid public beleives it.

Too busy text messaging.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear /forum/post/20915549

Just got back from Costco where all they had was thin paneled LCD and Plasma. They were marketing the "thinner is better" thing like crazy. Each brand was trying to claim they were thinner than the other.
It's really stupid if you think about it. It's as if the most important thing in the TV is how thin it is. The picture quality is second or third.

They had a 70" Sharp LCD on display for $2,600 + Tax = $2,800. The picture was not that great, it had a HDMI 1080i signal going to it but the picture was pretty bad compared to my DLP.

I can understand 32" - 47" being thin because those are usually mounted on walls but when it comes to BIG SCREEN - home theater systems, you need a center/stand for the center speaker, DVD player, amplifier, etc. What's the big deal with just putting the TV on the stand?

Well DLP wouldn't really work for a lot of people. My living room is 14' across and my viewing distance is about 9'. I've got a 50" plasma where the screen is about 4" from the wall - if I put a DLP in there, my viewing distance would be down to 8' or less, viewing angles from the periphery seating would be increased, and the box itself would dominate the room and look ridiculous. This is my living room, not a basement gaming room.

Each technology has its plusses and minuses. I'd first consider LCD for a bright living room or pool house, plasma for a more light-controlled living room or bedroom, front projection for a dedicated theater room, and DLP for a sizable media/gaming room. I wouldn't want to watch a DLP full-time as I dislike the picture you get from a rear-projection set (as I said, there's something about a rear-projected image that I simply don't like as much as a more direct-view tech such as plasma or FP), and DLPs look severely out of place and silly in a modern living room.

·
Registered
937 Posts
And people who have different priorites from yours don't think "DLP's look severely out of place and silly in a modern living room." What is a "modern living room" anyway?

Threads like this add soooo much entertainment value to message boards.

·
Registered
16,673 Posts

Quote:
People who have priorities different from yours aren't "stupid."

I said nothing about "priorities".
Quote:
What is a "modern living room" anyway?

Tasteless.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/20916046

I said nothing about "priorities".

You basically said people who believe that TVs that are closer to 3" thick than 16" thick are stupid because the 16" thick TVs have a better picture.

Lots of people are happy to sacrifice a bit of picture quality (and even that's arguable when comparing DLP to a decent plasma) and cash for a thinner TV that looks much, much better sitting in a living room.

21 - 40 of 453 Posts