AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDNet looks so lifelike it is truly spectacular. ESPN HD continues to disappoint me, and I am sure others. Every time I am watching a game in HD on ESPN HD I can't help but switch over to HDNet and compare the NHL or NCAA Mens BBall compared to whatever HD game ESPN has.

And yes, I mean HD games not an SD game on ESPN.

Can anyone tell me why ESPN HD is so embarrassingly low in quality compared to HDNet? Is it the cameras, the lack of properly set up equipment?

BTW I watch both on D*.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'd love to do a page comparing the two (as well as HD broadcasts by ABC, CBS, and FOX's EDTV). I just haven't got any HDNet or ESPN HD screen capture images yet.

I think it's in that ESPN has to keep everything in their 4:3 "safe" zone whereas HDNet can take full advantage of High Definition formats?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with that cpalmer, because HDNet is not chained to the 4:3 image they can truly take advantage of the widescreen.

But I am referring to the picture quality between the 2 networks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
I believe ESPN HD is shot in 720p while HDNET HD is 1080i. Kevin
Although that statement is true. Here is my ?

I have a Sammy 567 (720p) and HDnet (1080i) still has better PQ than ESPN-HD (720p) on my 720p set. Should 1080i still look better on my set? Even though its a 720 native display(It is set up with DVI and set to 720 display on the box). I have been attributing it to what I thought was better production by HDnet.

IMHO I do think that HDnet is slightly better PQ than ESPN-HD Although ESPN definately has the edge in games....unless you like watching University of California Santa Clara Southestern State vs. Montana State North Central Poly Tech playing at a high school field in Idaho with 171 people in attendance:D

smack

PS. Please do not turn this into 720 vs 1080 or my dad will come over and beat up your dad.:p

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Don't find myself there's a 'huge' difference between live HD from ESPN-HD (720p) and HDNet (1080i). Can't recall other observers here saying HDNet is that much better either. Most seem to comment that good 720p, whether upconverted to 1080i or not, looks similar to 1080i until 1080i broadcasters start showing distant details such as faces in sports crowds that aren't as crisp with 720p.

Makes sense to me since, unless oversampling is used, 1080i is limited in detail to ~1700-pixel horizontal resolution, and 720p is limited to ~1140. But while 1080's 1700-pixel resolvable detail may originate from sources such as HDNet and CBS trucks/studios, how much of that resolution reaches viewer's eyes is another question. Not a great deal of it, I suspect. Squeezing HD signals down to ~17 Mbps or less for home delivery 'tosses out' details. Perhaps one of these days someone with access to a spectrum analyzer will lug one home from work and compare programming. Better yet, a company will start marketing a reasonably priced PC card that can do a similar job. -- John

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also agree with smack, 720p and 1080i can have the same or at least near the same picture quality.

To me NYPD Blue has the best pic quality of any of the prime time shows and it is 720p. My t.v. can not display 720p, it converts it to 1080i.

So back to my original question why the pic quality difference?:confused:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe the game you were watching was not being broadcast HD? ESPN-HD has lately been showing only about 5 games a week in HD. What was the last game you watched were you noticed the big difference in quality?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the game you were watching was not being broadcast HD? ESPN-HD has lately been showing only about 5 games a week in HD. What was the last game you watched were you noticed the big difference in quality?
No, all of the ESPN-HD games I was referring to were in HD. Wisconsin vs. MSU, Marquette vs Cincy are two for example. I don't and won't watch the stretched SD stuff on ESPNHD, I just go to the regular channel and watch it with the bars on the side.

smack

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It could also be your box is better of transmitting 1080i than 720P. I have 3 boxes from 3 different companies. For 720P to a 720P display the zenith sat520 is better than my panny tuhds20 (and vice versa with 1080i).

I'm not saying this is the cause but it could be.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I find that basketball looks like **** in High Def and here is my theory on that:

The big advantage to High Def over Standard Def is the depth of field which the picture contains. Because of the nature of basketball arenas most of the shots are shot against a background which is not near the player. So you miss out on the 3d aspect of it because it's not a player against a field, etc. it's them against 20 feet of air and THEN a crowd.

Hockey is shot from a 3/4 perspective on HD net, and football is as well, so you see the players against something that is less than 4 feet from their body, it makes the colors just POP. That's why I believe sports look more 3D than movies and shows in 1080i which I don't find look SIGNIFIGANTLY better than DVD.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think it is the conversion from 720P to 1080i and 1080i to 720P.

Watching Alias(a 720p show) on my Toshiba (1080i native) it looks a little muddy but still good but watch it on my projector(720P native)it looks very crisp and the same for football(1080i) yesterday-projector nice Toshiba very nice(not as nice as last week but better on the 1080i TV then the projector at 720p).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, that's all well and good, but Monday Night Football looks much better than anything ESPN HD has, and that is in 720p.

I do receive MNF OTA, so that'll probably be the excuse.

No one else feels ESPN HD is putting out inferior HD material?

All I here are excuses. HD material should not look that poor.

Remember guys I am only talking about actual HD programming here.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I am watching tonight's UConn game. Looks pretty damn good. You disagree?

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin j
the uconn game's in HD?or is it an upconvert?
HD.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.