AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should say IS the JVC XV-N55 is better than a Denon 1600?

Has anyone done a Shoot out betwen the brand new JVC model and the now two year old Denon 1600( about to be discontined) model?

I now have both side by side at home. I am just a newbie on this so help me out.

I got the Denon 1600 becuase everyone here said it was the best.

I got it home and it only plays 2 out 20 DVD-R that I have.

So I got the JVC as it can play everything as it is so new.

Picture Wise, I cant tell a different on major Hollywood hit movies that on most only watch.

Why JVC is better:

1. It is only $96 after rebate making it $220 less than Denon.

2. I can justify the $220 price increase for such so minor video quality difference that I cant see unless I am freeze framing on a Avia test DVD.

3. It plays everything. DVD-R DVD+R & RWs

4. It has the new Digitial Direct Progressive Scan Chip in it to make it as good (for normal viewing from your chair, non paused) as the Faourija chip (spelling).

5. It also has the Coax Digital out that some receivers need.

Remember I am just a newbie here, what am I seeing wrong>? Help me justify the $220 price increas for the Denon, one of them has to be returned next week.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
For regular movie (film-based) DVDs you are correct the picture quality will be close, though the JVC has a little more high frequency rolloff (I measured about -3db at 5Mhz) compared to the Denon DVD-1600 - this will result in a little softer image on the JVC, you can compensate a little by turring up your TV's sharpness control. For video-based titles however, the JVC will be a lot softer since it uses a simpler video de-interlacing mode compared to the Faroudja-based players. Also many titles from TV episodes have lots of video editing and will switch back and forth between the sharper film mode and the softer video mode. But for regular film-based movies you are correct. It depends on the types of DVDs you are going to watch. The JVC is excellent in the areas you list, its probably the best regarding support for all types of discs and has the fastest load times. If your primary usage is for your own burned DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RWs and/or VCD/SVCDs - its a good choice and at under $100 with rebate a bargain. You might consider the cheaper JVC XV-N40BK(or silver XV-N44SL) model, it has all the same major features (just no WMA support and a smaller front panel display) for $20 less - you can get it online as low as $65 with the rebate.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"rolloff (I measured about -3db at 5Mhz) compared to the Denon DVD-1600 - this will result in a little softer image on the JVC, you can compensate a little by turring up your TV's sharpness control"

Would I tweak this on the TV on in the DVD players settings. It has a button on the DVD remote and it brings up brightness, sharpness, ect. . .

You can tweak just about everything on the DVD.

I ended up getting the XV-N55 becuase no one in town had the others, and since I am comparing I wanted to be able to return it quickly.

I have been comparing back and forth between all my DVD movies.

I just cant see a difference.

Anyone know of any Kit Movies with certain screens to compare with?

All I have is the THX Optimizer on the Star Wars DVD.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
To see the true difference between the players...go buy a video based DVD.

Ultimate Jordan is a great example show the superiority of DCDi. It looks pretty bad on the JVC.

·
Registered
28,386 Posts
Not everyone's priorities are the same as everyone else's. If you think the JVC looks just as good on your television and can't justify the price difference, by all means go for it. However, other people with different equipement, especially large displays, are likely to notice a difference. This may or may not be important to you. Only you can decide that.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bingo, thats the problem.

Out of the 45 DVDs I own NONE are video based.

I guess we all have different tastes.

I still cant see any difference and I have been comparing back in forth for hours.

Are there any Film based scenes know to cause problems with low end players that I can try?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found that the option material like movie reviews and videos are in video mode.

Video mode still looks pretty good. Better than I thought it would compared to the Denon, still not worth the $220 extra dollars.

Anything else to check for?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottChez
I found that the option material like movie reviews and videos are in video mode.

Video mode still looks pretty good. Better than I thought it would compared to the Denon, still not worth the $220 extra dollars.

Anything else to check for?
Agreed...which is why I returned the Mits DD-8040.

You can find some torture test in the secret's shootout

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ut-1-2003.html

·
Registered
210 Posts
did you happen to compare this jvc model with the sony player (dvpns725p)? i have this sony player. just not sure if it's worth the effort to bring it in to the store and return it for the jvc.

if it is...then i'll go. i think the store i bought it from carries it. if not...they have the n77sl model.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
On the JVC DVD player setup just use NORMAL, or if you use a user mode be sure to set the sharpness to maximum - this is actually untouched the other settings just filter it worse. You need to increase the sharpness on your TV to get higher frequency response but some TVs may add artifacts when you do this - use an AVIA sharpness and resolution test pattern to check for the maximum sharpness setting on the TV that doesn't add artifacts. Besides video titles (many extras on movie DVDs and TV episode DVDs) there are also several film-based movie DVDs that were authored with incorrect flags. The JVC is a flag-reader so will be tripped up by those, the Faroudja de-interlacer ignores the flags and detects cadence instead, so it works better on more movies. Some of the movies with incorrect flags like the alternate-progressive flag bug include Titanic, Austin Powers, Monsters Inc. and others. In auto mode, the JVC will either switch back and forth between film and video mode every other frame, or stay in the softer video mode. You can however manually select FILM mode for such DVDs if you notice it. In other cases most movies have a few bad edits that will result in either combing or a soft image for sections of the movie - you must not look very closely. But if you aren't a particular discerning viewer the cheaper DVD players like the JVCs are fine. Some have reported that the JVCs on some scenes like camera panning produce a stuttering looking image, so look for that symptom. Its worse in video mode though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
thumper - i appreciate all the helpful information you've provided. just wondering your opinion on something. in my case...would you trade the sony player in for the jvc? either the 55sl or the 77sl. the store i bought it from just got in the 77sl.

i'm pretty happy with the sony. but if the jvc is superior...i have another week before my 30 day comes up. so i can still exchange.

on a side note...i'm getting a dell pc to act as my htpc. i hope that dvds will play better through the video card with dvi. that's why i decided not to go with the denon 1600 or the samsung 931. i just want the best player between $100-150.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Absolutely - the JVC has many more features and compatability with more disc types than the Sony and I think the JVC is cheaper too with the rebate offer. The Sony's are notorious for having the chroma bug too. Sony and Toshiba are always rated near the bottom on the DVD player shootouts - I have always avoided them. Panasonic used to be good, but there new chipsets are terrible, I say avoid them now as well. I got a one-year-old Panasonic XP30 on EBAY, that was their last good model. Before that I had a JVC model for 2 years, but I needed more disc compatability that the older model didn't provide. I tried the new Panasonic S35 first and it supported all disc types well but had a poor de-interlacer (flashing areas on different test patterns and some menu screens) so I returned it right away. Next I tried the new JVC XV-N50BK and it was near-perfect, played all disc types with very fast loading and all the good JVC setup features. But I managed to nab a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for a decent price (I always wanted to check out its purported picture quality) and liked it and returned the JVC within the 30day return period. If I couldn't get the XP30, I would have stuck with the JVC however - so I'd recommend it as the best choice of current models in the under $250 price range. Above $250, you could consider the Mitsubishi DD-8040 or the Denon DVD-1600.

·
Registered
210 Posts
sounds good. i'll see if the store i got it from will exchange it. shouldn't be an issue. hopefully they still carry the 55sl. if not...would the 77sl be as good...if not better?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I don't see any 77SL model listed on JVC's website for current DVD player models - perhaps its a discontinued model? I'd recommend the N50BK/N55SL or the $20 cheaper N40BK/N44SL - these are bargain priced with $20 rebates right now - other models are just more expensive with no rebate so you are just paying more for nothing. You can get a 40BK/44SL for as low as $65 online with rebate now. Return the Sony for a cash refund.

·
Registered
210 Posts
yeah...i noticed buy.com had the 55sl for pretty good deal. i'll probably do that.

if my store has it in stock...they do pricematch...so that would be even better. i just hope they will take the sony player back without too much trouble. i've had it for 3 weeks already. hehe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
Some of the movies with incorrect flags like the alternate-progressive flag bug include Titanic, Austin Powers, Monsters Inc. and others.
Could you be more specific about what was incorrect with the Monsters, Inc. DVD? While it's too late to do anything for that DVD (or even Finding Nemo, which I'm sure has been manufactured already) if there's an incorrectness with DVD flags in our movies, I'd sure like to point it out to someone so the problem can be fixed for future releases.

Please feel free to also reply direct via email to [email protected] .

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just played Disney company owned Movie.

The movie was flagged correctly 100%OK

But the Preview and all the Bonus material was Hit and Miss.

Some were flagged wrong which tricked up the JVC. Good thing on the JVC you can take it Off Auto Modem and set it manualy- worked fine this way and I still saved $220 over the Denon 1600.

By the way, look for a Denon 1600 in the Open box section of there web site in 1-2 weeks. Its going back. I am going to buy $220 worth of Hit movies for what I saved.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I read that many Disney movies including Monsters, Inc. has the alternate progressive frame issue - one frame is marked progressive, the next interlaced, and so on. This causes flag-reading progressive DVD players (like the JVC) to switch between film mode and video mode (softer image) every other frame or some stay in the inferior video mode for the whole movie with such discs. The better way to encode the movie is with the progressive flag on for all frames. There are quite a few movies encoded this way, and cadence-reading DVD players (like those using the Genesis/Faroudja de-interlacer) can handle it but cheaper players will play such DVDs worse than others. For those using an interlaced display and interlaced mode on the DVD player its not an issue, its an issue with getting the best picture quality (staying in FILM mode) with progressive mode.

For reference, go here and search for "Monsters" for various reports on it and various DVD de-interlacers:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been checking more Disney Movies on the JVC.

Most seem to work ok. The ones that dont give you light on the DVd that changes from Red to Green back and forth.

No problem though, JVC has a manual override button in the setup menu.

These Movies look great, sames as my Denon 1600, still cant find a difference.

·
Registered
28,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottChez
These Movies look great, sames as my Denon 1600, still cant find a difference.
Just curious, what type of display are you watching them on?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.