Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I should start off by saying I own an LT150 courtesy of Dell and have been quite pleased by the value it presents in this segment of the market. There are, however, a few glaring defects that in my opinion make it hard to integrate in all but the most basic systems.

Let me illustrate my point by listing common system components that we will attempt to connect to the projector. As we all know, composite or S-video into this projector is horrid, 480p is the lowest res signal that should be presented to this projector.

System A:

HD Satellite Receiver, HD Component Output

HT Computer, VGA Output

To integrate even this system with the LT150, one must have a receiver capable of switching HD component signals (my Parasound AVC2500 only switches interlaced component, no HD). Then, a RGB-Component transcoder is needed at substantial extra cost to convert the computer over to component. Run the component cables to the projector and use a VGA breakout connector to input into the projector. Not a great situation.

System B:

1. Interlaced DVD player

2. DVDO iScan Pro for DVD

3. HDTV Sat Receiver with Component/VGA Out (Sony HD-100)

The iScan works great in component mode, not at all in RGB mode with a 16:9 screen. Set to auto input (in RGB mode), the projector scales the image to full screen output and set to native, the 480p image does not come close to the full height of the widescreen. The projector has no aspect ratio control in RGB mode and thus the iScan will not work properly.

The iScan does not have any passthrough capabilities for HD, so we must switch the two component signals from the iScan and the HD receiver through a broadband switching device. How would we mix the PC signal in? Well, the monitor output of the component switcher would need to be reverse broken out into a VGA cable, plugged into a manual VGA switch box along with the PC VGA signal and the output would go to the projector. Not quite seemless as every time you want to watch the PC involves manually switching the switchbox to the PC side.

There are endless amounts of other product combinations that create the exact same hassles with connectivity. Standard RGB output does not ever display correctly out of my Sony HD100. The image is either shifted to the right or has horizontal lines above the image. About the only system that works well is EITHER an iScan OR an HD Satellite receiver with component output but not both unless you have broadband component switching capabilities. If you are a fan of the Quadscan, you may watch the scalar and a PC connected to the passthrough, but try adding an HD receiver into the mix. Go on, I dare you!

Needless to say, this projector is a phenomenal value in systems that can be properly configured to use it. For what I would assume to be the vast majority of folks on this forum who have more that just a DVD player, this projector will be like hell, so close to heaven but not quite there.

Flame on!

------------------

Steve

Synergy MultiMedia, LLC

Atlanta, Georgia

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The cheapest way to get good NTSC out of the LT150 is to input S-video signal (I use a JVC VCR for this) and switch the LT150 to native mode. It only uses 640 x 480 of the panel, but with no scaling the image is very crisp. The LT150 also looks good fed a VGA from my laptop and looks very good fed from a progressive scan DVD player.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JonMX,

I agree with your points. However when you use VGA from your laptop AND the progressive DVD, you run into major problems. As long as you only have the need for one or the other, this pj rocks.

Steve

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The LT150 is more my fun little mobile toy. I have no need to be able to switch sources all the time. It is limited in many respects, but it is still the coolest little projector there is.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Why did you post such an antagonistic message - especially the title?

Kelly

·
Registered
93 Posts
Steve,

The truth of the matter is...the LT150 does have a lot of limitations, not just the ones you've highlighted as "glaring defects". Everyone here has had to deal with rainbows, light spills, halos, light borders, etc.

But we have learned to accept these and have found ways to deal with it simply because for its price, this is quite an awesome projector despite its limitations. I totally disagree with you that the LT150 sucks.

There is no such thing as a perfect projector but at the moment, we are happy with our LT150 (I'm sure a lot will agree!!!). If you are unhappy with it, then it's just unfortunate...maybe this is not the right projector for you.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'll jump on board. We always share the love, so let's share the hate with this little beast.

No Zoom - What a pain in the rear to mount.

Fan Noise - It's not the db, it's the pitch.

Remote - Apparently designed by the Mattel Corporation.

Also have to disagree on S-Video with Native Mode being tolerable. It's still awful. My old LP350 was tolerable. The LT150 is brutal with 480i.

--Les

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
steve,

Sure some of your points are valid - but why the stupid connections in system A? Why transcode the computer signal to component and thus lose the HTPC supreme ability in matching the native resolution of the PJ? You'd then have to mess with custom resolutions and a whole huge mess. The easiest solution is to simply use a VGA switchbox. There are both active and passive ones out there that serve quite well, not to mention are extremely cheap.

As for the iscan and component - that's been solved by breaking pins 13 and 14 on the VGA cable you use from the iscan to the PJ. Why use a component switcher anyway? Just get a VGA switchbox with enough inputs and some breakout cables. The VGA switchbox can even be autosensing so that if you turn a unit on it automagically switches to that input.

I tend to agree more with arrow on what may be important considerations for the LT150. The connection possibilites are just annoyances that can be easily solved in comparison. A VGA switchbox is cheap and works very well - while adjusting the position of the LT150 to get a perfect image since you have no zoom can be a bit of a pain. As for the noise, it's the color wheel that creates the whine - not so much the fan. And so building or getting a hushbox is something that c(sh)ould be looked into. Also more pain than getting that little switchbox.

And that doesn't even bring bulb life/cost into the equation.

In short - get your priorities straight, and ask about stuff like using component connections from the PC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . I love my LT150 for the picture - and can deal with the drawbacks. Can you?

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frode:
while adjusting the position of the LT150 to get a perfect image since you have no zoom can be a bit of a pain.
A fixed lens is actually a advantage IMO. Usually a fixed lens has better optic performance compared to a zoom lens. All CRT projectors use fixed lens! You're asking for convenience instead of quality.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
26 Posts
Steve,

I will take it off your hands for $1500

That will get you on your way to a "real" pj

8*)

------------------

Using Denon, Pioneer, Klipsch, Bag End & Sony

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Steve,

WOW!!!

I can't beleive your title...I guess you really wanted attention drawn to your post!

I hate to write so I'll keep it short. According to your post, in your opinion this projector sucks 'cause of connectivity problem only!!!

I can't beleive how harsh that is in relation to your title.

This projector...according to you...rocks in picture quality. I'm happy to hear that!!!

Good luck selling your little beauty.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Frode, which VGA switchers are adequate. I'm going to need one to switch between my DVD player, Dreamcast w/VGA box([email protected]), and possibly and iScan and or HDTV box and or HTPC later.The only real high frequency sources there are the HTPC and HDTV. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
So are you also posting in an audio forum that your receiver sucks because it has no Component switching???

Mine does. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I haven't bothered to wire it up yet though. It just isn't that big a deal to switch the video cables before watching a movie or HDTV.

I agree that there are other issues that are much more important.

Later,

Doug

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Basically any VGA switch can be used (even the cheap ones) provided you don't have a long cable run (which in itself is quite detrimental to quality). I'm not too familiar with the brands and models out there. Shop around. But, considering that the native resolution of the LT150 isn't exactly high frequency you don't need ultra high quality stuff. If you're in a (computer) store ask them about switches for high resolution (1600x1200). Those should be overkill actually, but at least they won't suck. HT switches like those made by Extron will also give you a good picture, but the prices are usually way high compared to what you actually need.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I happened to have a Kramer 3-in, 1-out RGHBV switcher, which works well for me to route the following sources to the LT150:

1) HTPC - uses RGB. Used for direct play of DVD and for scaling s-video with DScaler

2) HDTV - uses component, only connect up 3 of the cables, since sync is on green

3) my laptop - uses RGB

I only have to run just one VGA cable to the projector to handle all these sources. I don't ever have to adjust any of the screen adjustment settings on the projector for this mode.

·
Registered
665 Posts
o
Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Smyth:
Hey, I thought this section of the form was about technical stuff not the sexual proclivities of certain projectors. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
What sexual proclivities? OHHHHHH...you mean the male plug and the female recepticles? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sounds like someone is spending more time with his LT150 than his significant other! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

On a serious note, I think picture quality should be the first priority when it comes to projectors...the rest you can fix one way or another. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

- Balance Between

- Quality & Price!

------------------

Editor of the AVS Skyworth FAQ and Official Panasonic RP91 Firmware Upgrade Request from OWNERS pages.

[This message has been edited by Yahoo (edited 08-31-2001).]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.