AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the posters here seem to be only discussing Sony, Panasonic and Canon. Yet, the JVC HM400 is in the same league as the top models from these makers - better in some areas (resolution) than all of them, better than some (stabilization, noise in bright light), worse in others than some of them (low light noise, but not resolution, in low light).

One deficiency is that it only shoots at 1080i, which some have argued is a real problem for sports.

I have two things to add on this point: 1. I watched the SuperBowl, broadcast in 1080i on my LCD 50" 1080p Sony, and I had no complaints. And, the NBC Olympics video also seems great. So, camera quality and camerawork clearly trump 720p versus 1080i or 1080p. And, I am not interested in pretending I am making a film, crippling the video at 24fps to get that "look."

2. My second contribution is to show an action video, shot with the JVC - hockey. The first part is shot through protective glass so it is little bit less sharp, but the last part (the goal score) is taken without anything in the way. This is college hockey, and the lighting is mid-level, not broadcast standard. Plenty of fast action. Looks fine to me too - no grain, no excessive blurring (everything shot at 1/60th of a second), correct colors. Please select the 1080 version. Of course this looks a heckuva lot better, not compressed and converted by Youtube, on an 1080 HDTV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU95lNvgLQo

The next two show bright-light videos: resolution and color capability and dynamic range:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIvOe-CIA6E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVn_UGhHRAM

Again, be sure to choose the 1080 version. A key problem when the light is bright is blown highlights; these show the JVC has good dynamic range. And everything is handheld - you can tell, but it does a good job so that the minimal movement is not to my eyes troubling.

I am not claiming these videos are better than what the top-of-the-line three popular models could do, only that it is not obvious they would do better. And no, I do not have any candlelight scenes...

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm intrigued by the JVC's. They certainly have some good specs. I own a number of JVC DVD and BD's players, and they all have performed great against the competition at a cheaper price. Those vids look pretty good to me, that's for sure.

JVC's new model's coming out have a Back-Illuminated cmos sensor that just might help with their low-light recording? The built-in BT option looks to be a pretty neat feature to have. You can transfer video?, and pics to your smartphone wirelessly, among other things.

The JVC GZ-HM550 looks to be a nice cam, and for it's $700.00 pricepoint, it's on my list to check out when it becomes available.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, the JVC GZ-HM550 is not the step up from the HM400 (however intriguing) - it has smaller sensor and less features. The new improved HM400 with a backlit sensor (of the same size) and more megapixels is the forthcoming JVC GZ-HM1, which lists at $1199.95.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks for the correction. According to Amazon it is, but they must be mistaken. I hope no one was mislead by reading my post...my bad.

They don't have the model you pointed out on their site yet. But I did find some info on it via web search. It looks promising, and I'll definitely be looking at it when it releases.

One thing I noticed about the JVC's, is that none of their models feature a viewfinder. I wonder why they have left this feature out on all of their cams, where most of the competition has at least a few models with one?

I also researched the HM400 on youtube and found this video , which to me, is one of the best looking videos of a consumer cam that I have seen on YouTube. The HM400 looks to be an excellent cam for the price, especially outdoor video. I hope to get the best of both worlds (great indoor low light/great outdoor) with all these new cams coming out. JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Canon are all on my list, and it's going to be tough to pick one. I'm in no rush, so that is a good thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/18183292

No, the JVC GZ-HM550 is not the step up from the HM400 (however intriguing) - it has smaller sensor and less features. The new improved HM400 with a backlit sensor (of the same size) and more megapixels is the forthcoming JVC GZ-HM1, which lists at $1199.95.

According to this JVC press release both new cameras have the same sensor ("1/2.3” 10.62 Megapixel Back-illuminated CMOS Sensor"), the difference is in the still image resolution (10 (HM1) vs 9.3 (HM550) megapixel).

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a topic of extreme interest for me. I almost ordered the HM-400 the other day, but when I heard that the HM-550 would have better low-light, I figured I would wait until it came out to make my decision. Amazon says the 550 is the step up, and the specs on it don't look any worse, other than dropping the focus dial and a few other things. So which is it? I definitely wish I could get a final answer... I guess I'll have to wait until March 8th.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does look like the HM550 and the HM1 have the same sensor! Then the difference will be in the features, presumably. I do not see any mention of a mic input (or manual control of audio) or headphone output for the 550, or mention of focus dial or buttons for shutter priority and aperture priority (or any priority at all). The HM1 has the same feature set and design of the HM400 with the new sensor, including the manual capabilities and extra inputs. The HM500 does have bluetooth. So it's a step up in two dimensions from the HM400, and a lot of steps down on capabilities. The HM1 steps up from the HM400 with no step downs or design change.

The full specs are not published, so it could be that the HM500 has more features than the press relase indicates, but then the big difference in price between the HM1 and the HM550 would be hard to explain unless the sensors or lens are different in some other way.

If these new JVC cameras retain the same sharpness as the HM400 but produce less noise in low light they will be great.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/18169220

Most of the posters here seem to be only discussing Sony, Panasonic and Canon. Yet, the JVC HM400 is in the same league as the top models from these makers

I seriously doubt that. JVC has yet to make a decent consumer camcorder.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And you have personal experience with the HM400? Read a bad review somewhere? Did not see the camcorderinfo review? What is this snide and uninformative comment based on? (I do not work for JVC)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/18193269

It does look like the HM550 and the HM1 have the same sensor! Then the difference will be in the features, presumably. I do not see any mention of a mic input (or manual control of audio) or headphone output for the 550, or mention of focus dial or buttons for shutter priority and aperture priority (or any priority at all).

It looks to me that you can use BT for actual headphone output. I don't know if it is stereo BT though..but it's still a nice feature
. Only time will tell about all the other manual controls and features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/18193269

If these new JVC cameras retain the same sharpness as the HM400 but produce less noise in low light they will be great.

+1

Hopefully the new Super LoLux mode does what it's designed to do. And it does it well.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bluetooth feature is really neat - monitoring sound and picture off camera and wirelessly and among more than one person!

But, no microphone in or manual control of audio in and no focus wheel. This is not the top end.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
It's kind of odd that it inputs sound from the mic and a BT headset at once. It states that "feedback may occur". Why can't you use one or the other
. Only 5 Smartphones are supported according to the manual. I guess they might add some at a later date, but to have only 2 manufactures cellphones supported is kinda lame imo. There is a manual focus, but not a wheel.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder if the phones and devices listed are just those they have tested. If the camera uses standard bluetooth protocols, like 'headset', 'stereo audio' etc. (A2DP, HFP, HSP, HID, etc.), then it should work with any bluetooth enabled phone that has the correct protocols. Without a separate wired mic in, it is unlikely that one would have stereo audio in via bluetooth, but in any case there are no good microphones for recording that work over bluetooth (the mics in headsets are for talking on phones). Focusing manually without a wheel is pretty difficult.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now I see in the manual the set of profiles, which include BIP, OPP, SPP, HSP. Any phones that have these will work (transferring sound or images, for example). The listed phones can operate the camera as remote controls. That is only one of the bluetooth functions.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/18257148

Focusing manually without a wheel is pretty difficult.

I would think so. Your familiar with the laser touch, so I think your opinion is most likely correct.

If it does support those BT profiles than I would expect it could connect to most BT phones in those capacities. I know my Nokia has those profiles.

The stated battery life seems quite short on the 550. They are stating 45 minutes for on and off recording, and 1 hour 20 min for continuous recording. I think the 400 has much better battery life with the battery that comes standard with it, am I'm correct?

Can I ask you how the LCD on the 400 is in bright outdoor lighting? Does it seem to wash out easily? I'm assuming the 550 has the same lcd.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The stated battery life is over 2.5 hours; I have videotaped, with plenty of zooming and on and off, a complete basketball game (over an hour of video), with much more than 1/2 the battery still to go. The camera does very well for action sports (indoors), like hockey and basketball using a fixed 1/60th shutter. Part of the reason for the better battery life compared to almost all other cameras is that the battery that comes with the camera is not the smallest battery in the line - which is typically supplied - but the middle size battery (which does not jut out, however).

I did not have any trouble seeing the lcd, and colors, in bright sunlight and snow, as I recall.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts markr041. That explains why the battery life of the 400 is so much better than 550. I thinks it's a good thing that JVC equips their top of the line model with a larger battery. I wish all manufacturers did that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts