AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are there so many that are against putting up a Roof top antenna to receive the HDTV . After the initial cost of the equipt. ,your channels are free! Keep hearing " Oh But it's so Ugly" !! Well......... don't look up, you should be inside watching your TV ! If you have neighbors that have their noses in the air, screw-em ! ( with exception to those "Cookie Cutter Communities" with their"Constitutional Rules"???.....)

Why struggle with installs that only get you some channels.

When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's that's all we had....... don't think anyone cared then ? :D

Sorry for the Venting, but I get a little upset, when I see a post ,that they want the best reception possible,but when you mention
Roof-top antenna , they freak out !

:p

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have to admit that I don't find the rooftop OTA's too attractive. I think that putting the OTA in the attic is a viable option. I live pretty far from the transmitters here in DC and I get a good strong signal with my OTA in my attic sitting on boxes... I don't think that it's always necessary to have it on the roof unless you live REALLY far from the stations. In that case, you're probably in the middle of nowhere and then who cares what the neighbors (if you have any) think... :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There are situations where a roof top antenna is not an option such is the case where I live my home owners association does not allow them so I had to resort to an indoor model which as it turns out works great even though I am at least 50 or miles from the transmitters of the stations I want to receive..

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
By federal law, homeowners associations are limited in their authority to prohibit the installation of an outdoor antenna on property to which you have exclusive access. There are numerous threads dealing with this topic.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
So put it on a pole close to the house ! Just get it tall enough to clear the roof ! You may have issues with the HOA about attaching your "pole" to the outside - no problem ! Just stake it out properly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have made several people enthusiastic about HDTV until I mention needing an outside antenna/rotor/mast or tripod/amp. Then they say it isn't worth the effort or the "wife factor" or they don't want to work with the "unknown" of an antenna.

I also know the "professional" installers in my area didn't know anything about HDTV reception and had never done an install for anyone receiving HDTV. I had to educate my installer.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
or the "wife factor" or they don't want to work with the "unknown" of an antenna.
That's another thing......... what's with the "Wifey Factor" ??? Does she plant Flowers up there or what ? :D

C'mon fella's :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DougRuss
Why are there so many that are against putting up a Roof top antenna to receive the HDTV .
The top reason(IMHO):

A very valid Fear of Lightning Strikes ....

HDC

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lightning Strikes ... ? If there installed properly, you shouldn't have that fear? Although the risk is there? But look how many years they have been used............... ( maybe before your time ? ) ;)

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
A properly grounded antenna as the highest point of a house makes it safer...it functions as a lightning rod. What, you'd prefer your house be hit without an easy path to the ground?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The Televes DAT75 is a very handsome antenna..certainly no eye-sore atop your house. It is so important to get a high quality, high gain, highly directional (with a rotator) antenna to receive digital signals clean and without any dropouts or blocking.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Maybe it goes back to a time when a family with an antenna was too poor to afford cable.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Maybe we should think a little further back, A family with an antenna was rich enough to have their own television.

Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
Maybe it goes back to a time when a family with an antenna was too poor to afford cable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have a Radio Shack VU-190 with a rotator on top of my roof, and considering the free OTA HDTV I watch with it, I think it's very attractive. In the past few months I've learned which elements receive which frequencies, and that FM is right between UHF channels 6 and 7. It now pulls in FM great also.

My house is now prettier than ever, in my opinion. And although my wife initially opposed the idea, she warmed up real quick when I showed her some WBBM OTA HD this spring.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
In the past few months I've learned which elements receive which frequencies, and that FM is right between UHF channels 6 and 7. It now pulls in FM great also.
Some older antennas had middle VHF elements where the end portion could be snapped off to cut off FM frequencies, if the user was getting interference from a strong FM station.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I think a shiny new antenna on a rotor on the roof and a nice set of KU dishes on the south side of the house in the flower garden are great looking. I actually look up on the top of peoples houses to see who is using HD or satellite in the area. Ive seen some really nice C band dishes mounted on the roof of a couple houses :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jim, a recent trip to a muesuem, they had on display a tangled heap of metal that is considered a masterpiece, your antenna looks better. What's that saying about beauty---- it's in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DougRuss
Lightning Strikes ... ? If there installed properly, you shouldn't have that fear? Although the risk is there? But look how many years they have been used............... ( maybe before your time ? ) ;)
Actually not before my time ... in fact I was about 2 when our antenna was struck and blew a (small) hole in our kitchen wall ... not a pleasent experience :eek:

HDC

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.