AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because you will take more videos with it, and they will be as good as if not better than most camcorders.

The WX5 is the smallest camera capable of taking AVCHD 108060i videos that can be made into blu-rays without transcoding - at full quality, and thus also quickly. It blows Flips out of the water on quality for the same size and takes as good videos as many of the top consumer camcorders, which are much bigger especially when one has to open those big lcd screens (and has a much bigger sensor than most, same size if not bigger than the top ones).

Having a tiny pocketable video camera means you can take it anywhere and when a really interesting occasion arises you whip it out and can take great videos.

Here is an example. We stumbled upon the recreation of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (Dec. 4!) in NYC for a movie. Everything is there - the big Snoopy balloon, floats, pirates, clowns, pilgrims, bands. But it's all fake (including the music - the band does not play a note). You see at the end the actual chase scene. The video ends when the director yells 'rolling' and then 'cut!'. You see the chase scene. Some wind noise in the beginning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKlrvaD28bc&hd=1

BTW, no one thinks you are taking serious videos using this tiny p&s camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WX5 Video camera like Cyber-shot. WX5 Release on latest camera 2010.In this camera 12.2 Mega pixel, 5x Optical Zoom, G Lens, 3D Sweep Panorama, H-D Movie 1080i, 2.8' LCD. This camera are multi-purpose use video and camera.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks for posting Mark. The parade footage looks very good, and the sound is nice also. I still can't decide between the WX5 and HX5V. They both are great little P&S's. I like certain features of each unit and it's tough to pick which one would be best for me. I've been leaning towards the WX5 recently, because of it's better low-light performance. The WX5 has a shorter zoom, but I can most likely live with that. I wish you could adjust the shutter and aperture on the WX5 though.

I also like some of the camera functions on the WX5., especially being able to shoot 3D images. My PS3 has a photo app the works really well with 3D and iSweep panorama photos. Have you played with the 3D, or panorama still modes on the WX5? The Defocus mode on the WX5 looks interesting also.

I don't have a 3D display yet, but I will be getting one sometime in the future, for sure. I have been researching 3D displays online and at the local B&M's and have been impressed with what I have seen so far. Since you have both of these models, can you recommend one unit over the other for overall video and still features? thanks......

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question. If you are going to shoot video for which zooming while shooting is important (like sports), then the Hx5v is much better - the zoom is vari-speed, easily controllable (not quite as nice as that on the HM1, but almost) and essentially silent. If you can refrain from zooming while shooting and do not need the long telephoto, then you can exploit the better low-light video (it is clearly better) of the WX5. The zoom noise on the WX5 is just too much for using while shooting. The screen on the WX5 is higher resolution than that on the Hx5v. You cannot adjust anything on the Hx5v for video; in that respect the WX5 and the Hx5v are the same for video - for both it's full auto mode but there is ev setting and white balance and meter type to select.

But, again, I carry around the WX5 because it is so small. The Hx5v is for projects; the WX5 is for carrying around. I did feel that if I had the Hx5v for the parade, the video would have been better, as I could follow action more flexibly as it happened. With the Wx5 it was all jump cuts. But then if I did not have the WX5 and just owned the bigger Hx5v there would have been no video at all.

On 3D I went for real 3D - the Fuji W3 (which also takes 3d videos). See the avsforum discussion of the camera. And yes the PS3 shows my 3D photos splendidly on my 3D plasma (they are .MPO's just like the Sony WX5 produces). I have never consequently used the 3D mode on the WX5.

For the parade, I have 3D stills (clowns, floats, pilgrims in 3D!)- yes I had both the W3 and the WX5: one for video and one for 3D stills. I could not have had both the Fuji and the Hx5v in this case, as that would have been too bulky to carry (this was just a day to see a concert, the parade was a surprise).

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks for your detailed thoughts Mark and congrats on the Fuji W3. I have seen it and read some reviews of that 3d camera. Most everyone has positive things to say about it. I will have a look at the thread here when I get a chance...thanks. From what I have read, I can imagine that it's 3d footage viewed on your 3d display looks stunning at times? It's certainly a technology that I look forward to using, and I can see a camera like the W3 in my future.

Sony's site states manual shutter and aperture on the Hx5v..is that not correct? Either way, I'm pretty sure I am going to go with the WX5. As you say, it has such a small form factor and with it's great video (both low and bright light), and seemingly nice still features I'm really thinking it would work best for my intentions. I don't plan on using it for sports much and I can work around the noisy zoom.

I really like the panorama modes of these units also. The WX5 has the 3d panorama, which intrigues me. If you happen to try some 3d photo's in the near future with the WX5 I would love to hear your impressions of how it performs in that area. I know you have a dedicated unit to compare it to with owning the W3. It would be much appreciated, and if you happen to do so, you can post here, or pm me if you wish. And thank you for posting video footage of both the Hx5v and WX5 on this forum.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Sony's site states manual shutter and aperture on the Hx5v"

Yes, but these do not apply to video; there are no manual controls in video mode! Only for stills.

This was the same for the Sony NEX 5 - totally auto-only for video. With a firmware update they allow the aperture to be fixed, but not shutter!

The WX5 is a great choice, and will give good results in almost all situations.

One other video with the WX5, showing low and good light performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03XkKTgkL4&hd=1

which has had almost 2,000 hits on Youtube, probably because of interest in the Maserati...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^Another great video from this small dynamo. The stabilization looks to be very good for such a small unit..great job. If you tagged your video as "Gran Turismo Maserati", I bet your hit count would be much higher..lol, as it's a very popular video game.

Thanks for the clarification on the manual shutter and aperture, Mark. I happened to check out the WX5 today in my travels and I cannot believe how small it really is! I had checked out the Hx5v previously and I thought that was small. For everything that it does, the WX5 seems to be an amazing little P&S. For something this small being able to shoot exceptional video that rivals top cams is simply incredible. It will be under the Christmas Tree in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Here are a few low-light videos I shot with the WX5. It performs very well in low-light, practically noise free. The 1st one is at the Hard Rock Cafe. The 2nd one is at a indoor fun center.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had my mom get my son one for Christmas. The thing has turned out to be one of, it not the best all around camera's I've ever seen. Not the perfect camcorder like my TM700, but better low light video and way more than acceptable quality for web distribution.

On the flip side the WX5 is an incredible little still camera as well. It has some super easy features for effects that make is really easy to use. The sweep panorama is incredible.

Add it all together and you have a decent still cam and a very good video cam all in the tiniest package imaginable.

The only thing it doesn't do well is audio. It's mediocre at best and the zoom is super noisy when doing video.

Good call markr041 !!!

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageBoy
It'd be perfect if it had a decent battery life taking videos...
yes, the battery life is not so great. I get about 45 minutes of video when it's set on it's maximum bitrate (17 Mbps), with a full charge. It's not really an issue for me since batteries are cheap for these Sony units..about $10.00 each from third party vendors. They work just as well or better than the supplied battery. The batteries are smaller than a "pack of matches", so it's no problem carrying extra's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLK
Is there a limit to the lenght of the clip? What about compression (17 or 24 Mbps)?
The time limit on video with the WX5 is 30 minutes until you have to press the record button again. See above for compression...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/19921593

Recital by violin player in dim subway station as subway train pulls out. Handheld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVOGKf6hqg&hd=1

Choose 1080p.

I've watched many camcorder videos online and this is comparable to dedicated camcorders - and definitely better than most with low light. It's almost as if they're conducting a marketing experiment; put video quality you'd find in a $700 camcorder/see which sells more.

There are some artifacts on some of these videos, but it's probably YouTube compression.

A big difference between this and an actual camcorder is that if someone is getting paid for a gig, like shooting an event, they can't show up with this tiny pocket cam.

What do you think of the TX9 - it has the touchscreen/spot focus and dock for USB/HDMI.

Or, once you hit the $325 + range, it defeats the purpose of value/features?

Also, when you say that the WX5 is better in low light than the HX5V; by how much? The HX5V videos look equally impressive:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. TX9: great big high resolution LCD (as big and as high resolution as the top camcorders), and touchscreen focus is a great feature. The advantage of the WX5: the fast lens - f2.4 versus f3.5. That is what gives it the advantage in low light. Otherwise same video features. The WX5 has a mini HDMI built in - that is much more convenient (for me) than carrying around a cradle.

2. Hx5v: much greater ability to zoom and the zoom is effectively silent. Lower resolution LCD screen. The advantage of the WX5: the fast lens - f2.4 versus f3.5. That is what gives it the advantage in low light. Otherwise same video features. Must carry around a dongle to attach an HDMI cable for the Hx5v. The Hx5v is a great sports camcorder with its extended power zoom.

·
Registered
33,776 Posts
The WX5 does indeed take very nice videos. I had the camera for a short period and was very impressed with the video.

I sold it to a friend only because I felt the still pix were very soft when using the zoom and the overall color was too red for my liking. I'm hoping the soon-to-be-released newer versions of these cams will have solved the zoom sharpness problem, which to my eyes look to be an issue with the lens. Interestingly the issue doesn't show up when shooting video, but that's a lower rez than the higher rez photos the camera is capable of.

The issue of zoom motor noise was truly bizarre. It's hard to believe that Sony released a camera with so much audible zoom motor noise. But to be honest, if they solved the issues of zoom sharpness & color, I could probably live with the noise.

As a side note, I compared the WX5 with the Panasonic Z7 and the still pix were much sharper than the Sony, but the video was not nearly as good as the Sony.

You win some you lose some.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^I love my little WX5 Ken, and can say I don't notice much softness or color issues with it when taking photo's..even when zoomed. Someone could fix the softness and colors to their liking in post if it bothers them. It's certainly not a DSLR when it comes to photo's, but given it's size it does a nice job and the results are very acceptable in all aspects of usage to me.

Yes, the zoom is quite noisy in quiet environments but it's an issue I can work around. And if you are in a noisy environment, you don't notice the zoom noise so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/19921593

Recital by violin player in dim subway station as subway train pulls out. Handheld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVOGKf6hqg&hd=1

Choose 1080p.

Nice video Mark, that's a interesting musical instrument. The musician plays it well. It's great having the WX5 in my pocket at all times. It's smaller than my cell phone for goodness sake. I always carry it with me. Cellphone in one pocket, WX5 in the other.

It produces some really nice video with pretty good sound (not mediocre at all). I was involved in a 3 car accident the other day (1st one in 25 years..
), and I took quality pictures and video of everything to document the incident. If I didn't have the WX5 in my pocket, I never would have had those pictures and video for providing facts of the incident.

I do wish it had more manual controls, but the "Auto Mode" works very well for both video and photo's. I have had very few issues with it's auto mode and it transitions from dark environments to a well-lit ones effortlessly.

After almost 2 feet of snow last week the family decided to go sledding. Since I always have the WX5 in my pocket I took these short clips while we were having fun. That's what this little pocket P&S is about for me, recording fun with family and unexpected moments that might pop up. I have my HM1 for serious footage and projects. But, this little digicam shoots pretty serious video also, and like you say, no one knows it.

One clip does have zoom being used and you can tell that it's not so bad if you are in a loud environment. But in quiet environments it is a little too much. I work around the zoom noise by moving my body, something photographers have been doing forever.

btw Mark..you thinking about upgrading to the HX9V? With it's specs and features it has the potential to be one of the best little P&S yet. The new Panny model (Lumix ZX10) coming out looks to be a good one also, but no 1080/60p.

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws /forum/post/19922273

I've watched many camcorder videos online and this is comparable to dedicated camcorders - and definitely better than most with low light. It's almost as if they're conducting a marketing experiment; put video quality you'd find in a $700 camcorder/see which sells more.

There are some artifacts on some of these videos, but it's probably YouTube compression.

A big difference between this and an actual camcorder is that if someone is getting paid for a gig, like shooting an event, they can't show up with this tiny pocket cam.

This is a huge statement to make. If the TM700 was available for 300 would you buy it?

Do you own this camera?

Are you actually saying that this camcorder does as well as the TM700, or even the Canon 30 series?

Granted this and the Canon seem to have approx the same size sensors...but doesnt pixel size, at the very least, have some relevance? Not to mention there most be other factors that come into play when losing so much size and dedicating so many elements to still image capture....

Eitherway, that statement above is going to really have noobs like me thrashing their heads around (I have also wondered at times if some people in this thread are not working for sony...lol....who knows....I am sure I am just as biased towards the SD600 now...)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts