Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've scanned several pages in this forum to see if this question was answered fairly directly, but haven't come across anything, so....

Basically, I have a Sanyo PLV-Z3 projector, driven by a Sony DVP NS775V, connected via component cable. The Sanyo can handle a variety of input formats.

So, why should I want to upscale in the DVD player? Is it just a belief that the scaler in the DVD player (take your pick) might be better than the one in my Sanyo? Other reasons? (Any specific impressions of the Sanyo PLV's scaler vs. some other scaler in a DVD player?)

Thanks,

Tiger

·
Registered
309 Posts
Good question. I went through 3 upscaling DVD players trying to figure this out. My conclusion, don't bother. I'm starting to think upscaling is a marketing ploy. Sure there is a chip in the DVD player but how much does that cost them. I know the base level DVD players jump $75 when you put Upscaling on the box.

·
23,031 Posts
Tiger,

Connecting a DVD player via component to a digital display involves 2 conversions - D/A and A/D - that most likely degrades PQ somewhat. With a DVI/HDMI input into your PJ, you eliminate these conversions and keep the video entirely digital until you see it. WRT upscaling, some DVD players scale better than the displays they are connected to. So, there is no rule that says upscaling in the DVD player will look better (contrary to what some people believe). It depends what's on each end of the connection.

larry

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
The upscale , thru DVI/HDMI only, will also enhance the resolution of the picture from 480P to 720P to match the native resolution(1280x720) of your Sanyo projector.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388
The upscale , thru DVI/HDMI only, will also enhance the resolution of the picture from 480P to 720P to match the native resolution(1280x720) of your Sanyo projector.
I think the OP was asking why upscaling from 480i/p to 720p in the DVD player will be any different from upscaling from 480i/p to 720p in the display... He was asking why shifting the location of the scaling from display to player enhances the resolution better?

Using a DVI or HDMI connection will keep the signal in the digital domain, whereas component analogue will mean a D/A and A/D conversion in the process, however DVI or HDMI can carry 480i or 480p (though may require pixel repetition to keep the clock rate high-enough)

If your display only accepts HD and not SD resolutions, via DVI/HDMI, or your player only outputs an upscaled DVI/HDMI output, you may not have a choice.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I can think of 3 potential reasons:

1) You have a fixed pixel display with a poor internal de-interlacer/scalar. To avoid using the display device's processing, you scale your video to it's native resolution.

2) You have a larger HD CRT (or sit to close), and would like to remove the scanlines that are readily apparent.

3) You have a nice external scalar with an HDMI or DVI input, so you want to feed it a 480i signal that remains digital. Granted this is bypassing the scaling entirely, but the majority of DVD players with HDMI or DVI are now scalars. This generally ends up being cheaper than going the SDI modded route.

Also related to this point is that you simply want to connect your DVD player to your display device that has HDMI or DVI - even if its at 480i of 480p. Again, this would be bypassing the scaling - but as stated, most current DVD with HDMI do scaling.

A fourth reason is the "I must be on the bleeding edge", 'me too' factor :) - but that's neither here nor there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Short answer: yes, each scaler will perform differently. Some difference will be visible, some won't. Try the DVD benchmark from hometheaterhifi web site. Each players with various scaler chipset are compared based on objective tests.

Empirical evidence: The picture quality between 480p and 720p output from my DVD player is so different on my plasma with 720 vertical resolution. When using the TV's scaler, the picture is soft, it looks as if each line is doubled. The quality of 720p output borderlines HD contents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.