AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why should I use a Y-splitter to connect my powered subwoofer to my receiver? The manual that came with the subwoofer says I need to use a 2 male to 1 female Y-splitter. Do I have to use both the L+R inputs/outputs on the subwoofer or should I just use one of them?

Is there a benefit of using the Y-splitter instead of just the single cable?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I added one to each of my subs and it made a huge difference. I didn't think it would make a difference but it did. Both of my subs reccomended it btw.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Adding the Y splitter does nothing but increase the gain. It doesn't increase fidelity but it only strengthens the signal the receiver sends to the Subwoofer by sending an identical signal to both L and R inputs thus increasing the gain. Of course you could save yourself the money and increase the volume on the subwoofer or sub output on the receiver and yield the same effect.

You can just plug the Subwoofer out from your receiver to either the L or R of your powered subwoofer.

·
Registered
22,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18181084

Adding the Y splitter does nothing but increase the gain. It doesn't increase fidelity but it only strengthens the signal the receiver sends to the Subwoofer by sending an identical signal to both L and R inputs thus increasing the gain. Of course you could save yourself the money and increase the volume on the subwoofer or sub output on the receiver and yield the same effect.

You can just plug the Subwoofer out from your receiver to either the L or R of your powered subwoofer.

This is not accurate. Sub amps that are designed to have input to 2 channels will essentially be running at 1/2 power with only one channel used. That's not the same as simply turning it down, not by a long shot.

If the sub is intended to have 2 channels connected, use them. The result is about 3db gain.

·
Registered
687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18181392

This is not accurate. Sub amps that are designed to have input to 2 channels will essentially be running at 1/2 power with only one channel used. That's not the same as simply turning it down, not by a long shot.

If the sub is intended to have 2 channels connected, use them. The result is about 3db gain.

I don't know where rdgrimes got his idea of a sub amp running at half power while having only one input used, but there is a little truth to be had in the remark. If you would like to get into further depth, it really depends on the design of the amp and subwoofer such as dual voice coils multiple woofers which MIGHT necessitate both inputs being used.

However, most subs the L+R inputs are there to be used for stereo inputs, lets say your receiver doesn't have a Sub out or LFE out and you need to plug in the L+R outputs of your receiver to the sub to get the subwoofer to work for both your L+R channels. But if you feed a mono signal such as a subwoofer signal to the sub, the sub will get the signal and play it not "half power" but to the gain you set it at. If you send a mono signal to both the L+R inputs, thus "more" signal, you get a louder playback and increased gain.

Of course, if you already have a Y splitter, might as well use it, won't hurt. If you don't, I wouldn't worry about going out there and buying a Y splitter as your subwoofer doesn't need both inputs being used.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I didnt think it mattered myself so i got a Y splitter and i tried it myself and i noticed a gain as well. So i use the splitter

The splitters are cheap so it doesnt hurt to try one. I already had one so i tried it.

I use the normal RCA cable to the splitter then i just plugged one into say the left side and while it was running i added the second end ont eh splitter and pulled it in and out and i could hear a noticble difference.

I recomend using the splitter specialy if the manual says to use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts