AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my second fileserver and as with the 1st one I'm buying server grade components for the MB/CPU/Ram/Power Supply/Drives but I don't understand the need to buy a case with backplanes in it or use backplanes at all. I'm planning on using a case with 9 5.25" bays in it ($65 which includes one 4-in-3 bay) and putting in 2 more 4-in-3 bays ($22 each) for a total of $109 for a case that can hold 12 drives + 2 drives for the system. Yes each bay has a 120cm fan on it.

Now I could see using backplanes if I wanted to go 5-in-3, or if I wanted hot-swappable bays but I don't need that density or the hot-swap so is there any other reason I'd want backplanes?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Nope, you don't "need" backplanes. They just make it awfully easy to setup, configure and maintain your system, especially if you have a large array. I had 3 hard drives (out of 36) go bad in the last year or so, and of course based on Murphy's law, each one was in a different chassis.

If I didn't have backplane based chassis', I'd have had to de-rack and open up all 3 chassis just to replace the drives. Way too much trouble.

Yes, they add cost to the project, but in "my" opinion, they are very very much worth it.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/14345605

Nope, you don't "need" backplanes. They just make it awfully easy to setup, configure and maintain your system, especially if you have a large array. I had 3 hard drives (out of 36) go bad in the last year or so, and of course based on Murphy's law, each one was in a different chassis.

If I didn't have backplane based chassis', I'd have had to de-rack and open up all 3 chassis just to replace the drives. Way too much trouble.

Yes, they add cost to the project, but in "my" opinion, they are very very much worth it.

The other thing they add is cooling for hard drives. Not all options for internal mounts of hard drives have adequate cooling, and cooling is the key to drive reliability.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I can understand for cooling if space for fans wasn't available and certainly if I had > about 15 drives in the array I'd opt for the hot-swap ease. Probably do that when/if I merge these two boxes into one down the line.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizam /forum/post/14346272

Yea I can understand for cooling if space for fans wasn't available and certainly if I had > about 15 drives in the array I'd opt for the hot-swap ease. Probably do that when/if I merge these two boxes into one down the line.

Yeah. A friend of mine has 3 of the 5in3 racks in a 4U server and is probably going to change to one a 20 or 24 drive case as he needs the slots for expansion. I think up to 10-15 drives you have lots of options. Going past that is hard without a case like this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts