AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit to being a complete noob to this. I know that I can hear the difference between good sound a bad, but I am in no way an audiophile. I have a decent little HT setup around a Denon AVR3311CI. I also have a Marantz SA8004 SuperAudio CD Player. I love the 8004 becase it has Digital in and allows me to use the DAC in the CD player!!!

Here is my question, why am I paying for a better quality DAC if I am just going to connect it to the receiver with an optical link? Don't I just transfer the DAC to the inferior Denon DAC? I know its PCM lossless but there still must be a digital to analog conversion between the optical cable and the amplification, thus I am using the Denon DAC, no? Should I plug the CD player into the receiver with some high qulatiy RCA cables instead, or am I being an idiot?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
It is certainly true that if you use a digital connection, you are not using the DAC in your CD player. And as such it is wasted regardless of its quality.

It is hard to know without comparative measurements which one is a better DAC. You are certainly not an idiot for trying to see which one sounds better
. You will learn something in the process.

Another alternative is to use a coax S/PDIF connection as that will likely perform better than Toslink.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
To add onto what Amir has said - I wouldn't get too wrapped up in "high quality cables"; get something that will stay plugged in into your device and that suits whatever need you have (length, connector, etc).

One thing that you might gain, by having an analog connection between the player and the receiver, is if the player has decoding features not found in the receiver.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
That Denon is no slouch when it comes to audio. But, remember, if you want to avoid having the receiver digitize the analog stereo input from the player, you will need to set the AVR to Direct.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/20827220

...It is hard to know without comparative measurements which one is a better DAC. You are certainly not an idiot for trying to see which one sounds better
. You will learn something in the process...

Yeah. What he'll find out is that nobody would be able to hear any audible sq differences between those two DACS. If there is one then one of them is broken.

What a digital connection from the transport to the receiver gets you is fewer cables to manage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.