AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/18193760

they're riding on their network, not their poor and overpriced boxes.

Besides, you can get a TiVo HD, Moxi, or Windows Media Center PC with Cable Card tuner. Fios offers the best picture quality and great internet speeds. If you want a good quality DVR, you're free to buy your own.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/18198642

There are rumors that there will be new DVRs sometime this year.

I believe their is a newer model than the 6416 out there? Not 100% sure, have to check later. I do know new boxes by Cisco are in the works...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK all of the FIOS ssytems use only Motorola equipment at the head end and therefore thay have to Motorola equpment at the customer end. Each of the cable PVR STB manufacturers will be coming out with new models within the next year in order to meet new STB Energy Star compliace standards that go into effect in the spring of 2011.

I am not sure that any Motorola models later then the 6416 III with a 160GB drive would be of any benefit to a FIOS system.

·
UHD Addict
39,235 Posts
Any new boxes will probably be more of the existing crap. If FiOS offered to give me all my services free for life, with the only caveat that I would have to replace all my TiVos with the FiOS DVRs, I would not do it. I would rather pay my $180 a month and use what I want then get my service for free and use their crap.

·
Registered
33,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18222444

AFAIK all of the FIOS ssytems use only Motorola equipment at the head end and therefore thay have to Motorola equpment at the customer end. Each of the cable PVR STB manufacturers will be coming out with new models within the next year in order to meet new STB Energy Star compliace standards that go into effect in the spring of 2011.

I am not sure that any Motorola models later then the 6416 III with a 160GB drive would be of any benefit to a FIOS system.

I'd be surprised if Fios is limited to only Motorola STBs because of Motorola equipment at the head end.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have never come across a cable company that supported either Motorola, Pace or a SA/Cisco STB from the same head end location. If you know of one please post it here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Canada Shaw is using Motorola,Pace both

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18228746

I have never come across a cable company that supported either Motorola, Pace or a SA/Cisco STB from the same head end location. If you know of one please post it here.

·
UHD Addict
39,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 /forum/post/18246582

In the U.S.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd /forum/post/18222737

Maybe they (Ver/Moto) are afraid of Tivo suing them to IP infringment!

Then the simple solution is to license the TiVo interface. In addition to creating a better user experience then the crap they put out on their own, it would probably not be much more of an investment than going through the process of developing, maintaining and updating their own.

Also, at this point, with multi-channel service as expensive as it is, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't notice a few extra bucks on their bill to get a better DVR interface.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecgz88 /forum/post/18246582

When you get Shaw sevice are you allowed to pick either a Motorola or Pace box?

There were anouncements a couple of years ago from some US cable poviders that they were going to offer the Tivo interface on their existing cable STBs but apparently the licensing costs were too high so the progams were cancelled.

·
UHD Addict
39,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18247853

There were anouncements a couple of years ago from some US cable poviders that they were going to offer the Tivo interface on their existing cable STBs but apparently the licensing costs were too high so the progams were cancelled.

Comcast has a TiVo interface in some areas, and is also looking at the TiVo Premiere interface

http://www.multichannel.com/article/..._Premiere_.php

I think Time Warner is also working on a deal with TiVo.

And of course a new DirecTV box with TiVo is coming out soon too.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
In the locations that Comcast offers a TIVO interface what make/model of STB are they using? Do they charge more for the TIVO interface? If yes how much?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You buy the DVR in Bestbuy
, and Shaw is put Moto 3416 on clearance right now.

Telus DVR: Using Microsoft MediaRoom IPTV Platform.

http://www.telus.com/content/tv/iptv...m/hardware.jsp

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...2079db3698en02

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18247853

1 - 20 of 26 Posts