AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to shop 42" GWIII for my father-in-law today. I have visited SoundTrack, CC, BB , Big Picture and Sears. Sears and BB were the only two stores admitted GWIII's bulb problem. The sales man of BB even showed me their computer, which stated "deleted" for all three GWIII models. BB and Sears both told me that Sony has stopped their production at least to February to fix the problem. BB will carry the new production line of GWIII. I also investigated the extended warranty option. SoundTrack and Big Picture do not cover the bulb. CC told me that they do, but I couldn't find any documentation that stated this. The sales man told me that store manager can write it on the contract and sign it. Sears told me that they covers first bulb only, but no written documentation. BB is the only store has written document that said:" Complete coverage if your product fails due to normal wear and tear/usage". I believe that BB stop to sell GWIII due to worrying too high of the warranty repairing cost and future bulb replacement cost. I might be completely wrong.

Xiaoyu,

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
I actually got a call from Best Buy Corporate on Saturday. Apparently an email that I sent got the attention of someone high up. So much so that they actually called me on a Saturday. She said that Best Buy was unaware of any problems with the GWIIIs and that they had stopped selling them because a new model was coming out. Now this was just what she was told to say. As we were talking she started to look into it more and she finally said something is wrong here. She said “We are supposed to carry these TV’s till September of this yearâ€. She also said that there should not have been a shortage like this for the TV. I told her to just call Sony and ask them if there was a problem with the TV and if they had stopped the production line. She agreed. Well it probably won’t help me get my TV fixed which went out again while the Football games were on last night. However, at least someone at Best Buy is aware of the problem. I really think that Best Buy is concealing this issue. All of the other stores freely admit to the problem yet every Best Buy that I have been to says that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the TV.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to agree with those who said it's the competition that's posting all this negative bs about the gw III. Production has not stopped (mine comes in tomorrow). No stores "admit" of any problem other than being unable to keep these in stock because they're so popular. There is no service bulletin. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please provide some PROOF, other than citing previous false posts on this board. Attach a picture of a service bulletin if there is one, or something reliable. You can't, because there isn't one. Production continues. Stores love these sets.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
You are right I can’t post the service bulletin because Sony won’t let you! Instead why don’t you call this number and ask Sony yourself 1-800-222-7669. They will admit to a problem with the TV, a service bulletin, and a production halt(It has been restarted.). If you don’t believe us then call Sony! You are lucky your TV should work just fine because it has the fix. However, don’t tell us that we are lying when you have no clue what you are talking about. If you want the facts go get them yourself.

Sony Customer Care 1-800-222-7669

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm sorry madlin, but that's an idiotic accusation.

I *strongly* suggest that you delete your post before someone who has been plagued with this defect reads it and tears you a new one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Madlin, I was just at my local Circuit City yesterday and was talking to the Television sales manager who freely admited the bulb/no power problems with the GW III sets. He was actually discouraging me against wanting to purchase one, of course because they did not have any to sell and still wanted to get a sale on another set.

off topic he also stated that CC had moved away from a commision structure for sales, anybody else heard this?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by madlin
I have to agree with those who said it's the competition that's posting all this negative bs about the gw III. Production has not stopped (mine comes in tomorrow). No stores "admit" of any problem other than being unable to keep these in stock because they're so popular. There is no service bulletin. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, please provide some PROOF, other than citing previous false posts on this board. Attach a picture of a service bulletin if there is one, or something reliable. You can't, because there isn't one. Production continues. Stores love these sets.
Flave,

too late!

Madlin,

you should take your 6 uninformed posts and shove them [EDIT].

If you don't believe there is a problem with the GWIII, why don't you view the VIDEO of the issue, which accurately represents the hundreds of people on AVS who have had the same problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...01#post3231501

Then, try calling Sony customer service a speaking to a supervisor. Not only will they confirm they've gotten many calls on the issue, they will admit that there was a production stoppage, that sets manufactured with January build dates up should be non-defective, and that Sony has engineered a fix which can be applied to all pre-January sets.

THEN, call Sony factory-in-home service. Ask if there is a Service bulletin. They will confirm that it exists, and that it describes a multi-step process which included soldering of additional resistors and replacement of the lamp unit to FIX the "NONEXISTENT" problem with GWIII sets.

THEN, ask if you can have a copy... they will tell your [EDIT] Newbie [EDIT]that service bulletins are confidential and copyrighted documents which are only allowed to be distributed to licensed Sony technicians, and not royal [EDIT] like yourself.

I think you should make it a habit to read more carefully into situations before you go and spout off. OR, in the alternative, make it a habit NEVER TO POST HERE AGAIN.

·
2,436 Posts
Because they want to sell you something they have in stock.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheBobGoat
i love the chicago attitude!
Don't mess with a Sox fan, especially one with a GWIII buzzer! ;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Don't tell them you're WONDERING if there's a problem, tell them you HAVE a problem. They're not going to go and spill to someone who's just curious about hearing bad news. They're only going to reveal anything to someone who already has an issue.

Also, you can't go talking to the 'level one' CSR employees, whose grasp on english, let alone complex pieces of information, seems quite tenuous. It was only after three calls in a row about my buzz/nostart issue that I was transferred to a supervisor, whose grasp on english was indeed better.

Sometimes my anger over 'teaching the baby' as it were spills over. Sorry for the venom. But you really earned it.

And just for giggles and cosmic justice, I hope you get the last buzzer sent off the production line before the fix.

Ta!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote:
I have to agree with those who said it's the competition that's posting Attach a picture of a service bulletin if there is one, or something reliable. You can't, because there isn't one. Production continues. Stores love these sets.
Can you remind me again why your on this site if you don't believe what the members are telling you????

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mweflen
Flave,

I think you should make it a habit to read more carefully into situations before you go and spout off. OR, in the alternative, make it a habit NEVER TO POST HERE AGAIN.
You seem to give this advise to everyone who disagrees with you. If everyone that got it, took it, you'd be spending time reading clones of your own thoughts.

You are absolutely right on the issue of the problem being real, but this guy was just out to get a reaction. You certainly gave him that!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
aydu,

you're right -

if everyone agreed with me, the world would be a much nicer place ;)

But i don't think the advice of reading more carefully before spouting off is misguided. I think everyone should do it, from Madlin to UMR - the metaphorical "greyscale of ignorance." See, my main goal here is to avoid a 'black crush' of morons taking over AVS.

Point is, one of them is informed, one not. You have fun playing 'guess which one.'

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by will_s

off topic he also stated that CC had moved away from a commision structure for sales, anybody else heard this? [/b]
CC did that change corp wide last year.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Quote:
Wow, I need to check my mailbox because I'm apparently missing my paychecks from Samsung, Pioneer, Hitachi, Zenith, or Panasonic. After all, I am complaining about this problem and therefore it can't possibly be due to the fact that I HAVE the problem! No, Occam's Razor is wrong! It makes more sense for the existance of a conspiracy grander than anything ever created on the X-Files! This explains the black helicopters that I walk out of every morning. They must be transporting me from my secret night time position at a competitor of Sony, wiping my memory clean, then dropping me off at my house every day. It's got to be true, I'm always tired in the morning!

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scs0
... missing my paychecks from Samsung, Pioneer, Hitachi, Zenith, or Panasonic.
Zenith! If you work for Zenith no wonder you are tired every morning. :D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mpgxsvcd
they had stopped selling them because a new model was coming out.
Hi,

The sales man from BB actually told me the same thing. I was very surprised since GWIII was just released mid of last year.

One of sales men from Big Picture told me that none bulb issue in all GWIII that were sold in their store, but later when we discuss the manufacturer's warranty for the bulb issue. Suddenly one sales man said he has a customer get free replacing bulb after he purchased unit for two month. How much can we trust their word?

I wonder that Sony is going to give a new model number for the fixed unit, which will cut off the tie with the old unit? It might be easier for Sony to deal with the existing problem in the future.

Xiaoyu,

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.