AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 20 year old Sony Trinitron 27” Tube TV in our living room and till this day, it just won’t die. Well, one out of the two speakers hasn’t been working for years, but other than that, this thing is indestructible. After 20 years of use, this thing will not go. It even makes a weird ringing sound during the first 20-30 mins when turned on….kinda like your ears are ringing. But it goes away after it’s on for a while. But hearing that ringing sound just goes to show how old this beast is. But it still gives great picture and the tuner still works and everything.

My family and I are just dying to replace it with a flat screen, but all of us just don’t like throwing away something that still works fine. So we all agreed to wait until it dies. But how long will that be? Why, after 20 years, won’t this beast die already? We need to move on. Any tips on how to make it die faster? Not kill it! But to help the TV wear out faster so its death comes sooner. Watching it more often seems like the most obvious solution, but it doesn't look like the phosphers are wearing away. It's strange!

·
Registered
21,259 Posts
Sell it on Craigslist.com

Donate it to charity or needy family

Buy a new TV and welcome to the 21st century.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.....I'd like to see my Samsung LCD TV (which I bought 2 years ago) still work during the year 2028. The LCD TV I have is in our TV room, a.k.a. our home theater room. Our living room TV is our secondary TV actually and we're hoping to replace that with either an LCD or the new LED. Will probably either just keep waiting for it to die or like Ratman said....craigslist or giving away seems like the next best options....

thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yeah, just sell it on Craigslist or donate to charity. The ringing is most likely the flyback transformer vibrating a little, but i've seen 1 year old sets do that...

I used to have a 19 year old Nokia TV which i had gotten for free from my neighbour. I fixed the power supply but the tube was on its last legs and it did die eventually after one year of me watching it. Honestly, it was the set i enjoyed the most. Not only because i repaired it, but it had a full function remote including swap to previous channel and scan thru all channels (remember this is on a 1990 TV), and the most straightforward menu i have ever seen - channel scan was done by cable channel number not frequency, and it was freakin' awesome because you could just key in the channel number from the cable provider's table and it would switch, no sorting required and no need to learn channels in order if you did auto store...

It also made a pleasing hum that would always put me to sleep if it was late. It was awesome.

So, seriously, if you want to get an LCD then please do. But don't kill the old set, give it to somebody who needs it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't kill the poor creature. Move it to a bedroom or den or the like.

When I buy a TV, I expect it to last 15-20 years. Not saying that it will be my primary set for that long, but I expect it to be used in some capacity, i.e. in a kitchen, bedroom, or kids' room.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a super-cheap 1981 Candle TV, and it finally died in 1998.

I have a 35 inch Sony Trinitron bought in 1995 and still works perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

I would like to replace my Trinitron for a new HDTV, but it still works, and it still looks great (I never even peeled off the stickers!). It's difficult to part with it--especially since it has a "monitor out" jack and excellent 2-tuner PIP functionality. Sadly, it's just not HD...And I can't really move it out because it weighs a ton and there's no other place for it...

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
If you really want to end it, have you ever thought about running JPK's DVE PLUGE pattern for about an hour? That pattern is said to kill most CRTs in about 30 secs, though the Trinitrons seems to be "contrast safe" which is lucky for me or I would have killed mine back in the 90's for sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I vote for putting it on Craig's List. Around here, 27" TV's are becoming a dime a dozen, but generally the asking prices are $25-$50, with $50 being very realistic for a Sony. Or give it away just to get it off your hands. A lot of people have no desire for HD and would love to have a quality SD 27" TV. It seems wasteful to purposely try to kill a good TV when so many people would be thankful to have it.

I've stocked up on three $15 Craig's List TV's, mainly because of my application, I have no desire for HD and a 19-20" TV fits my space requirements perfectly. I can easily move a TV that size around, whereas it takes two people to move a 27".

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have two Sony XBR CRT TVs - a 20XBR (the last series to come out of Sony's Tokyo plant) purchased in 1986, and a 27XBR purchased in 1990. Both continue to work fine, but I have purchased a couple of flat panels too. Sony XBRs were built like tanks, and most refuse to die. The flyback transformer is generally the first thing to go.

The 20XBR was $899 in 1986 - a lot of money for a 20" TV.

Re. joining the 21st century... after viewing a number of LCDs, I prefer to watch SD TV on a CRT.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/18571661

If you really want to end it, have you ever thought about running JPK's DVE PLUGE pattern for about an hour? That pattern is said to kill most CRTs in about 30 secs

Any links to that pattern? Besides killing tubes, it sounds like it is a good test pattern from what i've read. I don't need 30 seconds to do contrast calibration and i do have a Trinitron. A 21" monitor that is.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Just think about how much $$$ you saved by keeping the TV for a few extra years. If you would have bought a LCD back in 2006 you would have paid 2X as much as they cost today. I do think LCD TV's have reached a bottom for the most part, just don't see how much cheaper they can get..

·
Registered
946 Posts
Same thing here, we have a 20" Sony hanging from the wall in our master bedroom(20+ years easy). I want the thing to die to get a nice 720p+ 26-40" in there. The dam thing just wont die and sad to say, it's still got a nice picture for SD.....

My wife uses it almost every night, so if it dies, it would be a rush to fix....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colloquor /forum/post/18583097

The 20XBR was $899 in 1986 - a lot of money for a 20" TV.

I remember that TV...That was one sweet 20" set...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have one
in my bedroom. I bought my 20XBR used in 1987. I had to repair the APM speakers because the foam surrounds crumbled to dust 5 years ago and a resolder was needed 2 years ago on the delay line (just had dark colors no brightness). Not bad over 22 years
I should step up to HDTV, I have one in the kitchen!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18518458

Sell it on Craigslist.com.

Do you really think these CRTs sell on Craigslist?

I see tons of CRT ads on Craigslist, and rarely do any of the ads end with the "deleted by author" message. Most just expire into oblivion.

·
Registered
83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil /forum/post/18751664

Do you really think these CRTs sell on Craigslist?

I see tons of CRT ads on Craigslist, and rarely do any of the ads end with the "deleted by author" message. Most just expire into oblivion.

I've bought two 19" CRT TV's off Craig's List recently. I'll probably buy a couple more, as I'm stocking up on inexpensive CRT TV's for relatives that have no business owning a HDTV. I have a hunch a $25 used CRT will still outlive a new $1500 LCD.

I think most people advertising on Craig's List just let the listing expire after their item is sold. Most probably don't know to delete the listing.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My wife and I still have (and use) our first TV. We bought it at Highland Appliance well before we even got married.......about 18 years ago (for the TV).

We thought it was pretty big at the time. It's a 26" RCA. Everything still works great on it. We use it while using the treadmill.

We gave our 36" Zenith to her brother when we upgraded the kids room to a 42" 1080p LCD.

P.S. Hey Kansas, Why would your relatives have no business owning an HDTV?

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astropin /forum/post/18785678

P.S. Hey Kansas, Why would your relatives have no business owning an HDTV?

If they are anything like my Aunt and Grandmother, they can't understand the input menu on a new TV. If they want to watch the dvd or vcr I'm gonna' have to buy them one of those standard def switch boxes with big buttons on top. EVEN THOUGH THE FRIGGIN TV IS IT'S OWN SWITCHER WITH TONS OF CONNECTIONS!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts