AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Haha you're right, but I'd not say that repairing for less than 150$ your 1000$ set is not bad I think. Well, being a tech myself, I know what some techs charge for repairing. One of my close competitors sometimes like 200$ only for the estimate, no wonder we get all the work, having free estimates and all.

But like I said, a power supply problem is an easy repair and definitively not a reason to thrash a TV (and not a green way to think considering how toxic a LCD set is). Well, people won't change anyway and I get much much more business than before with people getting poorer and poorer...

·
Registered
232 Posts
you're right, your Samsung set could last 10 years without breaking. It's all down to build quality. I wasn't spreading the death notice for your TV. It's obvious lots of sets work great for a lot of years. i won't deny that for sure.

I said most, if not all, Not every one of them.

As for you asking what sets have good quality? Sony and Vizio have great construction quality. While they use more than often Samsung LCD panels. Meh, you pay for what you want really. It's either a 800$ set by Sony or a 500$ one by Samsung, but both have the same panel sometimes

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I would've went for a Sony or Vizio, but the picture quality on Samsung TVs blows me away. In the event my Samsung TV does break soon, I don't know if I can switch brands because seriously, the picture is just stunning. The picture quality on Sony and Vizio TVs don't seem to WOW me in the same way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Exactly my opinion, Samsung sets have, undoubtedly, the best picture quality out of all LCD sets on the market. Sony, Vizio and Panasonic sets may have a slight better build but I'd never change from a Samsung set to a Sony or Vizio.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That90'sGuy /forum/post/20725603

Just donate the thing. I had the same exact TV, a 27'' Sony. It took up so much space in my tiny living room that the wife and I finally decided to donate it to Goodwill and pick up a Vizio LCD.

The Goodwills in my area no longer accept any TVs. Guess they got flooded with all the castaway CRT TVs that people donated, and had to eat the cost of disposing them.

·
Registered
21,152 Posts
Salvation Army, Red White and Blue, Purple Heart...

In my area, we have Missionary Homes that look for unwanted furniture, appliances and TV's. They pick up and also tax deductable.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/20718227

You guys are kidding, I hope! CRTs are ancient. I might as well buy a typewriter and a rotary dial phone while I'm at it.

One can have hernia just lifting that humongous TV. No joke! It's time that thing goes. If it was lighter in weight, I'll be all for keeping it. But that thing is so heavy that it could collapse the furniture it's on.

No sir, not at all. You're not thinking about it from artistic and compatibility perspectives. An S.D.T.V. C.R.T. was a fairly standardized piece of equipment that would've been used for all home media applications, so everything used to be designed for them.

Old video games won't face upscaling lag on a standard definition C.R.T. because the native resolutions match. Moreover things that might normally be considered defects when you want to replicate a theatrical setting, like screen curvature, dot pitch, scanlines and analog signal color bleeding (to an extent) will have simply been assumptions made by the home media animator. Even when you're not consciously adjusting for these defects, if you monitor against them the your media's going to have been designed around them. Sure, if given the choice you'd just want a window into an alternate reality but they didn't have this choice back then so they did what looked best with what they had. $200-400 can get you a small XRGB that'll help with at least a couple issues but it's not as perfect of a solution as getting an actual C.R.T. to use.

Since I'm a video game fan, I retrospectively regret getting rid of the old Sony Trinitron in a move and why I saw another CRT (An RCA Color Plus) in a dumpster, I got a dolly and a ladder to rescue that sucker all by myself. No kidding. Unfortunately a few things keep me from utilizing it as I want but there's no reason to discuss that in this thread. What does belong here is the fact that like you said, they're freakishly heavy. While neither alone would've presented an issue to me the weight, combined with the angle I had to pull it out of the dumpster with almost very well near killed me and I sorta half dropped it from ten feet up (I held it the whole way down but I didn't really have the strength to keep it from reaching the ground). Anyway it landed on one of the plastic corners, so thankfully it doesn't implode. Surprisingly the sucker still powers on and shows an image almost as if nothing happened... Darn these things are really built to last.

Anyway I really hope this mover bloke had ulterior motive for helping you since it'd be a shame to see the Sonys go by the wayside. I think I somehow got the idea in my head that Trinitrons were some of the best out there, at least during the mid-nineties. It'd be a shame to see one of these go to waste, considering people don't really make 'em like that anymore due to a lack of demand in the general marketplace.

Also to remain relatively on topic, if you want a T.V. to die faster without outright killing it I think you want to turn the brightness and contrast all the way up...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonepoet /forum/post/20739701

Also to remain relatively on topic, if you want a T.V. to die faster without outright killing it I think you want to turn the brightness and contrast all the way up...

That actually explains why TVs today die faster. The manufacture settings have contrast and backlight set to MAX by default. Most people don't bother calibrating their TV sets properly. They just plug the TV in, turn it on, and just sit back and watch. They don't realize that certain things need to be set up. So, they leave Contrast and Brightness the way it is and in a few years, the power supply just fails because its been overworked all that time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, I sure hope what neccrttv said about LCDs lasting only 3 years is true. I just went to Best Buy yesterday and was amazed at all their LED LCD TVs on display. They make my regular LCD TV look so old and ancient. It's so hard to keep up with the times. Now, I hate my regular LCD TV and want an LED LCD so badly. This is frustrating. I wish the change in technology would slow down. I'm having a very difficult time keeping up.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/20717953

Ok....it's been a year since I started this thread, but I'm bumping it up to let everyone know that I'm finally getting rid of this TV. It still works (it's over 21 years old now), but I'll be getting new furniture and all and the handyman at my apt has agreed to move the furniture in for me. Since that new furniture will be replacing the furniture that my TV is on top of, my handyman said he'll be happy to move the TV out of the apartment for me. He'll be moving it out tomorrow. I told him he could either ditch it or keep it if he'd like. My family agreed to it because they're just sick of the sight of that big beast. It weighs a ton, so I'd like to see how my handyman will lift that. He's probably a lot stronger than I thought, lol.

Did you get rid of the 20 year old reliable TV? I am curious if it is a non chip power supply model. The Trinitron WEGA series have the fragile chips, an inexpensive but tricky repair. I am in the process of writing a Repair Guide on this, there is a fifty page thread on the chip replacement in this forum.

What is the model number of your old Sony TV?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I honestly don't know. I already got rid of it. I even asked a couple of neighbors if they wanted it and they all said no because tubes are junk. Can't say I disagree. I tried looking for a picture of it, but I can't find it. All I know is that it was a 27" Sony Trinitron that my family bought back in 1990.

And it is not 100% reliable. Like I said, one of speakers does not work and when you first turn it on and it's warming up, it makes an audible ringing sound. It's kinda like your ears are ringing. But it still delivers decent picture and produces mono sound from the one speaker that still works.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know I'm a dinosaur and I'm proud of it. I have two Samsung LCD TV's, but I've essentially abandoned watching them in favor of 20" and 27" CRT TV's. I scour the local Craig's List regularily and buy up every good quality 1990's era CRT TV there is. Currently, I have a dozen in storage in my basement, hopefully enough to last me the rest of my life. I still have analog cable, so they work great with the NTSC tuners. I doubt if I'll be able to switch to digital cable, due to my house's construction, so I'm perfectly happy in CRT analog land. And by the way, just bought a new typewriter, the old 1972 IBM Selectric III is getting cranky and nobody is around that can fix them anymore. I'll let the kiddies have the high tech toys, I'm perfectly contect with the old, reliable stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Beachboy /forum/post/20803457

I know I'm a dinosaur and I'm proud of it. I have two Samsung LCD TV's, but I've essentially abandoned watching them in favor of 20" and 27" CRT TV's. I scour the local Craig's List regularily and buy up every good quality 1990's era CRT TV there is. Currently, I have a dozen in storage in my basement, hopefully enough to last me the rest of my life.

Dude, that's awesome! I've gotten myself over half a dozen CRT monitors, but that may be a bit more difficult to stick with since VGA is supposedly being phased out by 2015, and the HDfury3 can only handle up to 1080p72. Guess I'll have to keep a couple high-end graphics cards on hand too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can anyone suggest a long term storage method for my 27 inch Trinitron? Garage or attic? Covered in plastic or cloth. I'd like to hold on to mine but don't want it to be damaged from improper storage. Thank you!

·
Registered
293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/20718938

I find it insulting that you pair Samsung with "no-name" brands. Samsung has a good reputation of having the best LCDs!!! Nuff said!

It seems to be well-known that Samsung uses the absolute cheapest possible components on their products. I went all-in on Samsung a few years ago and ended up returning everything. Sure, their LCD panels are fine, but the overall construction and engineering of their products is poor. They seem to focus on external looks at the expense of other aspects.

Not that other brands are much better.

In regards to lifting your old CRT I was able to carry 27" Triniton alone and I am pretty weak. I did require 2.5 people for my 32" FD Trinitron, though (~160lbs).

·
Registered
293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynexit /forum/post/20887864

Can anyone suggest a long term storage method for my 27 inch Trinitron? Garage or attic? Covered in plastic or cloth. I'd like to hold on to mine but don't want it to be damaged from improper storage. Thank you!

I assume that any location that can maintain a reasonably normal room temperature and humidity will be sufficient. Ideally, it would be fairly dry and cool. Attic sounds like a terrible location. A non-damp basement is probably best. I have my spare in the storage area (doubles as a pantry) of my basement.

I didn't think to cover it, but now that you mention it, I should probably throw something over it just to prevent dust buildup. Cloth is probably best.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT /forum/post/0

My family and I are just dying to replace it with a flat screen,

Unreal.... You obviously dont know whats the better of the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Beachboy /forum/post/0

I scour the local Craig's List regularily and buy up every good quality 1990's era CRT TV there is. Currently, I have a dozen in storage in my basement, hopefully enough to last me the rest of my life. I still have analog cable, so they work great with the NTSC tuners. I doubt if I'll be able to switch to digital cable, due to my house's construction, so I'm perfectly happy in CRT analog land. And by the way, just bought a new typewriter, the old 1972 IBM Selectric III is getting cranky and nobody is around that can fix them anymore. I'll let the kiddies have the high tech toys, I'm perfectly contect with the old, reliable stuff.

VERY NICE!!!!!

I am proud of you for NOT LETTING GOOD STUFF GO FOR GARBAGE!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
20 years.....I've got a couple sets over 30 years old still working like new. It's very simple. It still works because things were made better back then. Not the junk they have out now. The so-called upgrade everyone is talking about is really a downgrade. They want you to run out and buy the next big thing. I don't fall for it. I wouldn't be so quick to replace it. Your next one will last 20 months instead of years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 27" Proscan set that I still use. I use it strictly for 1.33:1 material such as tv show dvds or old classic movies on laserdisc, or even fullscreen VHS tapes! The set is about 17 years old now and has had one repair about 7 years ago. I use it as a monitor as there is an issue with the audio circuitry.

I have two CRT's as backups. A 20" Sony tube set from the late 90's and a 13" GE set from the late 80's.

I think anyone with an extensive VHS, laserdisc, or fullscreen dvd collection really needs a good CRT set.

I do also have larger LCD sets that I use for widescreen blu-ray movies, ect.

The tube sets do last a very long time.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Those are all i like my friend!! (CRTs) MUCH BETTER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoInvader /forum/post/0

20 years.....I've got a couple sets over 30 years old still working like new. It's very simple. It still works because things were made better back then. Not the junk they have out now. The so-called upgrade everyone is talking about is really a downgrade. They want you to run out and buy the next big thing. I don't fall for it. I wouldn't be so quick to replace it. Your next one will last 20 months instead of years.

An excellent reply indeed..... Its good to see others who havent lost thier sense of WHATS GOOD

41 - 60 of 61 Posts