AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused here people because I know I have downloaded all the M$ updates.

I hooked it up via vga and my dvd's are still in 4.3 and look no better than they did before. Does anybody know why this is? I was all excited to see some big improvement in dvds and I will be bummed if I can't get this to work.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What set are you using?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sony kdfe42a10.. It will not upconvert. At first I thought it was because i kept the component cables plugged in as well as the vga but I unplugged them and still nothing. It does say rosolution 1289 x 720 but still in 4.3 and looks no better

·
Registered
273 Posts
Under console settings and display, what screen res do you have set?

Are games playing at your TV's max?

Upconvert must be working because component max is 480p.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd /forum/post/0

sony kdfe42a10.. It will not upconvert. At first I thought it was because i kept the component cables plugged in as well as the vga but I unplugged them and still nothing. It does say rosolution 1289 x 720 but still in 4.3 and looks no better

I'm confused, how can you keep your component in and have your VGA pluged in...cuz that's impossible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said my screen res is 1280x720 but still in 4.3 ratio. And yes I tried using widescreen dvds. I tried LOTR, Saving Private Ryan and others. I can stretch it but it looks like crap. It looks no better than 480P so I refuse to believe it is upconverting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like you dont have your setting right. You have your 360 set to wide screen?

Does your tv accept a HD signal through its VGA connection most tv's dont. Samsung HLS dlp are one of the few that do. From what i have read the sony tv's have lots of problems with compatibality with there vga connections.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
How does the dashboard display? 4x3 or widescreen?

If the DVD is widescreen it should display as such *if* the dashboard is set for widescreen.

Check your set's VGA resolution support specs and settings (if any). A lot of TVs only (officially) support VESA resolutions in 4x3. And some have trouble distinguishing between 1024x768,1280x768, and 1366x768. You migt have to choose a wide display mode on the TV.

So if the 360 is set to output widescreen 1280x768 (or whatever your set's native res is), the problem is on the TV side.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Set the Xbox to display 1280x720 and then set the A10 to 'Zoom' instead of 'Full 1/2'. That will fill the screen and give you roughly 3-4% overscan; you will probably need to adjust the horizontal and vertical center as mine was off-center to the right by 14-clicks. In the DVD player, make sure you haven't changed the AR options to zoom or full (although those wouldn't cause a compression problem like you're talking about).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The problem must be on the T.V side because all of my settings are correct.

Xbox display at widescreen

xbox display at 1280 x 720 which is the native res of my tv

Then I pop in the disc and it is in 4.3 ratio. So I hit wide mode on my t.v to fill the screen and i'm unhappy with it. In my opinion there is no way anyone could be happy with the looks of that upconversion. I hear people saying great things about it so my tv must not do it.

I guess I need a A2 sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW /forum/post/0

I thought the DVD could only be upscaled to 1080p over VGA?

Not true, my monitor upscales to 720p using the VGA's.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Agree for the games but does it for DVD? I'm asking, I am going strictly by what I have read elsewhere. Or is it that 720p is available but 1080i is not? I just picked up the 360 and HDDVD yesterday so inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
21,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW /forum/post/0

Agree for the games but does it for DVD? I'm asking, I am going strictly by what I have read elsewhere. Or is it that 720p is available but 1080i is not? I just picked up the 360 and HDDVD yesterday so inquiring minds want to know!

I always thought it was "up to" 1080p and you were able to select the output through your dashboard...But I could be wrong

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah ^^, that's correct, using the VGA cables, you can select anything your tv can display, and it will display at that resolution, but your question about 1080i, i have no clue, bought my first HDTV today, coming saturday, but since i've only used monitors, which can't do interlacing, i don't know and that is a good question!

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd /forum/post/0

The problem must be on the T.V side because all of my settings are correct.

Xbox display at widescreen

xbox display at 1280 x 720 which is the native res of my tv

Then I pop in the disc and it is in 4.3 ratio. So I hit wide mode on my t.v to fill the screen and i'm unhappy with it. In my opinion there is no way anyone could be happy with the looks of that upconversion. I hear people saying great things about it so my tv must not do it.

I guess I need a A2 sooner than later.

Well, if your dashboard is displaying in widescreen mode, then it's definitely your TV settings. Are you sure you're setting it to 16:9 mode, and not a Zoom, or Stretch mode?

When you say you are "unhappy" with the results when you set your TV to wide mode, what do you mean? It's stretched out and whacky looking (out of proportion), or it just doesn't look good (i.e. quality)? Perhaps you are just expecting too much from upconversion....I know I couldn't really tell a difference until I took pictures of a DVD playing on my old player and then playing through the XBOX, then after comparing the pictures, the difference was noticeable.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Mine has 1080i on the dashboard but I have it connected to a 720p projector. I understood the 1080p was through an update but now I read the update might be causing a problem. Actually just haven't taken the time to connect online. But now may wait. Using VGA

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.