AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know anything about this TV yet, I just got it for my mother and I'm checking it out to be sure it works before I hook it up permanently where she wants it.

I tried hooking a cable box up to this one, and it won't work! I only used the RF connector, but that shouldn't make any difference. I can only get a few channels, like ch. 2 then no channels up to ch. 56 where it only gets 56-60! Then nothing up to ch. 100, then it gets 100-108! It won't get ANY of the HD channels (which start at 703 here). I also can't access ANY of the cable box's "Info", "Guide", etc., settings! They do nothing! This is impossible and makes no sense whatsoever! The box also appeared to keep locking up and was very sluggish, and sometimes the picture would freeze up on the TV! The box works fine on another HDTV, but that TV is using component connectors, and that TV does NOT have a digital tuner, it's just NTSC, it gets HD from the cable box. But that shouldn't make any difference!

Shouldn't you be able to receive HD channels using only the RF connector? I'm sure you can because otherwise there would be no such thing as your local HD channels on cable, which Cox DOES have. (They told me there are 7 channels you can receive without their cable box. This TV tunes to them but can't pick up ANY of them due to low signal!!
) Therefore one should be able to get HD channels off the RF connector.

At any rate, whether you can or can't doesn't explain why only a few channels will display using the cable box. Without it, it gets all the basic cable channels as it should. Now I didn't check the ch. 3/4 status, I assume the box is set to 3 and I set the TV to ch. 3, but if that's not correct then it should not be able to display ANY channels at all using the cable box. It says on page 13 of the PDF manual that this IS OK using the RF connector for a cable box. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...v535u_om_e.pdf
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...model=42rv535u

Am I doing something wrong, or is this TV screwed up?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/15429802

I don't know anything about this TV yet, I just got it for my mother and I'm checking it out to be sure it works before I hook it up permanently where she wants it.

I tried hooking a cable box up to this one, and it won't work! I only used the RF connector, but that shouldn't make any difference. I can only get a few channels, like ch. 2 then no channels up to ch. 56 where it only gets 56-60! Then nothing up to ch. 100, then it gets 100-108! It won't get ANY of the HD channels (which start at 703 here). I also can't access ANY of the cable box's "Info", "Guide", etc., settings! They do nothing! This is impossible and makes no sense whatsoever! The box also appeared to keep locking up and was very sluggish, and sometimes the picture would freeze up on the TV! The box works fine on another HDTV, but that TV is using component connectors, and that TV does NOT have a digital tuner, it's just NTSC, it gets HD from the cable box. But that shouldn't make any difference!

Shouldn't you be able to receive HD channels using only the RF connector? I'm sure you can because otherwise there would be no such thing as your local HD channels on cable, which Cox DOES have. (They told me there are 7 channels you can receive without their cable box. This TV tunes to them but can't pick up ANY of them due to low signal!!
) Therefore one should be able to get HD channels off the RF connector.

At any rate, whether you can or can't doesn't explain why only a few channels will display using the cable box. Without it, it gets all the basic cable channels as it should. Now I didn't check the ch. 3/4 status, I assume the box is set to 3 and I set the TV to ch. 3, but if that's not correct then it should not be able to display ANY channels at all using the cable box. It says on page 13 of the PDF manual that this IS OK using the RF connector for a cable box. http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...v535u_om_e.pdf
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...model=42rv535u

Am I doing something wrong, or is this TV screwed up?

Thanks.

I would imagine there's a setting in the TV's menu that is set up wrong. I'm not familair with that set but check the manual for receiving channels through a cable box and RF cable. I'm sure it's just a matter of changing a setting. Also try hooking the cable box via composite cables (red,white, yellow) into video 1 input on the TV and switch the TV to video one.

·
Registered
771 Posts
how do you have it hooked up?

It should work in one of two ways:

1.) Connect the cable tv cable (no cable box) directly to the RF In connector on the tv. Make sure that the connector is hand tight plus a little bit.

Go through the setup procedure and tell the tv that you are using cable as a source, not antenna, then tell it to find the channels.

2.) Alternatively, connect the cable to the cable box then connect component cables or HDMI cables to the tv. It's not worth trying to figure out why it doesn't work on ch3/4-that will be a crummy picture. Then using the input select button on the remote, select either component or HDMI input.

Either of these should work. Pick one and try it.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdog03 /forum/post/15431012

I would imagine there's a setting in the TV's menu that is set up wrong. I'm not familair with that set but check the manual for receiving channels through a cable box and RF cable. I'm sure it's just a matter of changing a setting. Also try hooking the cable box via composite cables (red,white, yellow) into video 1 input on the TV and switch the TV to video one.

Thanks for the reply. Please see the PDF manual at that link I gave on page 13. There's no settings to do this, it's straightforward. I even tried changing the input between "Cable" and "Air", that didn't change anything, same thing.

I guess I can try some composite cables, thanks.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcgrath /forum/post/15431160

how do you have it hooked up?

It should work in one of two ways:

1.) Connect the cable tv cable (no cable box) directly to the RF In connector on the tv. Make sure that the connector is hand tight plus a little bit.

Thanks for replying. I already did that.

Quote:
Go through the setup procedure and tell the tv that you are using cable as a source, not antenna, then tell it to find the channels.

Yep, did that too and it found those "190" channels even though basic cable ends at 99. I also tried the "antenna" or "air" as the source with the box connected and the same thing happened.

Quote:
2.) Alternatively, connect the cable to the cable box then connect component cables or HDMI cables to the tv. It's not worth trying to figure out why it doesn't work on ch3/4-that will be a crummy picture. Then using the input select button on the remote, select either component or HDMI input.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm going to have to do next. I didn't have any other cables handy at the time. I don't have any HDMI cables yet, and probably no component handy, so it may have to be RCA type jacks. But I'm still most curious as to what the problem is on RF. None of this makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The channel lineup will appear differently if you are using the tuner in the tv rather than the cable box. For example, if you have a channel 4, the high def version might be 704 on your cable box but it will appear as 4.1 or 4.2 when you tune with the tv.

I would start by swapping out the cable you are using to insure that you don't have a bad cable. Then, the tv has a signal meter built in to check signal levels on digital channels. Try that to see what signal level you have. It may just be that you have a weak signal. Is the signal to the set split a number of times or are the cables old (rg59 rather than rg6)?

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/15432156

Thanks for replying. I already did that.

Yep, did that too and it found those "190" channels even though basic cable ends at 99. I also tried the "antenna" or "air" as the source with the box connected and the same thing happened.

Yeah I guess that's what I'm going to have to do next. I didn't have any other cables handy at the time. I don't have any HDMI cables yet, and probably no component handy, so it may have to be RCA type jacks. But I'm still most curious as to what the problem is on RF. None of this makes any sense at all.

Clint - relax! There is nothing wrong with your TV, it's just not hooked up properly for HD use. You can use RF, but you CANNOT get HD from your cable box this way. The manual shows this as a way to hook up, but you will not get good quality.

Assuming that you still want to use the cable box (that's the only way to get your guide and the scrambled channels) - You need to hook up via HDMI or Component Video. You can get inexpensive HDMI cables from Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans. Don't spend $$$ on Monster, etc.. unless you have money to burn and are in a hurry. HDMI is easy since it's one cable for video and audio.

Component is also a good choice. Often the Cable company will supply you a set at no charge. These will be 3 cables for Video Red, Green, and Blue, plus two connections for analog audio. Again, you don't have to spend huge money here. 20-30 bucks at many discount stores. Get the set that bundles all 5 connections 3 video, plus 2 audio.

Once you have used the proper connections, you may also have to set your cable box to the proper resolution.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcgrath /forum/post/15433279

The channel lineup will appear differently if you are using the tuner in the tv rather than the cable box. For example, if you have a channel 4, the high def version might be 704 on your cable box but it will appear as 4.1 or 4.2 when you tune with the tv.

Yeah I knew that, but if you read my post again you'll see that I can't pick up channel 705 (HD version of ABC with the cable box) it's a blank screen, nor can I pick up ch. 100.1 which is ABC without the cable box (signal too low). All I can get ABC wise is ch. 5 which is the basic SD cable channel ABC.

Quote:
I would start by swapping out the cable you are using to insure that you don't have a bad cable. Then, the tv has a signal meter built in to check signal levels on digital channels. Try that to see what signal level you have. It may just be that you have a weak signal. Is the signal to the set split a number of times or are the cables old (rg59 rather than rg6)?

The only cable used was a brand new "home theater" co-ax cable which was from the wall to the TV. I can't remember the difference between RG59 and RG9 and it doesn't say on the package, but I assume it's the newer. The cables are "old" as in when bought, but they've never been opened until now. They are gold plated, extra thick and with extra shielding, and it says on the box something about compatible with new digital technologies. There's only one splitter out back. Like I mentioned, when trying to tune to a local HD channel without the box, the TV says "signal too low" and shows on the "level meter" as 0-1. One channel did very briefly show up, but then went blank again. (That was without the cable box).

What should the splitter(s) frequencies be? Is 5-1ghz enough or are the 5-2150mhz splitters needed for HDTV?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 /forum/post/15436463

Clint - relax! There is nothing wrong with your TV, it's just not hooked up properly for HD use. You can use RF, but you CANNOT get HD from your cable box this way. The manual shows this as a way to hook up, but you will not get good quality.

Ok now we could be getting somewhere, but why can't I pick so many of the NON-HD channels with the box? Please see that part of my post again. There's big gaps in the channels I can receive. Like 2 is ok, but there's no 3, 4, 5, etc. 55-59 is ok, but no 60, 61, etc. 100-108 is ok, etc. And these are all SD channels.

Quote:
Assuming that you still want to use the cable box (that's the only way to get your guide and the scrambled channels) - You need to hook up via HDMI or Component Video. You can get inexpensive HDMI cables from Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans. Don't spend $$$ on Monster, etc.. unless you have money to burn and are in a hurry. HDMI is easy since it's one cable for video and audio.

Well originally my mom never used a cable box. So I want to be able for her to get the 7 HD channels she's supposed to be receiving without the box, then I'll guess she'll eventually want the cable box to get all of the HD channels.

I ordered some Dayton HDMI cables yesterday. (Cat 2, v1.3b, less than $4 each). For the time being for testing only, I'll have to use composite if I can't find some extra component cables.

Quote:
Component is also a good choice. Often the Cable company will supply you a set at no charge. These will be 3 cables for Video Red, Green, and Blue, plus two connections for analog audio. Again, you don't have to spend huge money here. 20-30 bucks at many discount stores. Get the set that bundles all 5 connections 3 video, plus 2 audio.

Yeah that's what my dad's TV is using with his cable box (hooked to a HDTV without an HD ATSC/QAM tuner).

Quote:
Once you have used the proper connections, you may also have to set your cable box to the proper resolution.

I've never seen such an area in any of the menus. The boxes Cox uses are the Motorola DCT-6400 series. At least they look exactly like those, but there is no model # anywhere on the box!
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
http://www.motorola.com/business/v/i...RD&localeId=33

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hooked the TV up to a different cable outlet and now I can not only receive the 7 local HD cable channels I was told, but I'm also picking up another 7 or 8 HD channels (this is without the cable box). All channels are max'd out with the signal meter. So obviously that first cable outlet I tried has a serious problem. The channel #'s are confusing, they are not what I was told they should be! It looks like they've already made the change to the channel # lineup that's supposed to be taking place Feb 18th. For example, OTA ch. 2 is ch. 5 on cable. I was told its HD channel on without-a-box cable is 100.1, and when I key in 100.1, it goes to 2.1 which is supposed to be its channel designation after Feb. 17th! Strange, how does the TV know to go to ch. 2.1 when you enter 100.1? It also does this "automatic conversion" with the other local HD channels. It's almost like it's picking up both ATSC and QAM at the same time, even though there is no antenna hooked up, just cable.

So I then hooked up the cable box again, first just using the RF connector to see if the different cable outlet changed anything. It all worked fine, I can pick up every single channel I'm supposed to receive. The HD channels all come in. So obviously the other cable outlet affected the box as well.

"Videoguy" can you please explain what you meant by you can't pick up HD channels using the RF connector? Then how am I able to receive them? I'm receiving them without the cable box, and even with the cable box hooked up they are coming in. I also hooked the box up using S-video and I don't see any difference in the size of the picture.

There's some strange things happening though. There is absolutely no on-screen info with the cable box! The Menu, Guide, and Info buttons don't do anything! No on-screen program guide, there's not even the usual info displayed on the screen when you change channels! It's this way even when using the S-video connector! This is troubling that the TV refuses to display any of this. Also when I press the "guide" button on the TV's remote, I keep getting "Not available". On my old TV I'm only using the RF connector to the box, and I get all the on-screen menus and guides with it, although it's not a "digital" cable box. Do these Motorola 6400 series box only display on-screen info when component or HDMI connections are used??

Some other odd things: even on programs that show as "1080i 16:9" using the TV's info recall, it's in the 4:3 ratio!

Except for ONE program that showed in 16:9, the only way I could get actual 16:9 format to display was to change the setting from "Natural" to one of the "Theater wide" modes, but doing that changed the aspect ratio of the program to an unnatural ratio, things were stretched too wide.

On every channel (except for that one mentioned), there's still black bars at the top and bottom of every channel! And of course, also at the sides unless one of the unnatural theater wide modes are chosen.

With the box connected: when I compare the regular channel to its HD version, the HD version is SMALLER! Much clearer, but smaller!

Also with the box connected; using the TV remote's recall button, everything shows as "480i" displayed on the screen. Is that because RF and S-video was being used? And, the option "Native" for screen size is grayed out when the box is connected, but it IS there when the box is disconnected. But if that option is chosen (when the box is removed), there's odd "squiggly lines artifacts" at the top of the picture. It's as though it needs to be "cropped".

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Videoguy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/15440331

Ok now we could be getting somewhere, but why can't I pick so many of the NON-HD channels with the box? Please see that part of my post again. There's big gaps in the channels I can receive. Like 2 is ok, but there's no 3, 4, 5, etc. 55-59 is ok, but no 60, 61, etc. 100-108 is ok, etc. And these are all SD channels.

Well originally my mom never used a cable box. So I want to be able for her to get the 7 HD channels she's supposed to be receiving without the box, then I'll guess she'll eventually want the cable box to get all of the HD channels.

I ordered some Dayton HDMI cables yesterday. (Cat 2, v1.3b, less than $4 each). For the time being for testing only, I'll have to use composite if I can't find some extra component cables.

Yeah that's what my dad's TV is using with his cable box (hooked to a HDTV without an HD ATSC/QAM tuner).

I've never seen such an area in any of the menus. The boxes Cox uses are the Motorola DCT-6400 series. At least they look exactly like those, but there is no model # anywhere on the box!
http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
http://www.motorola.com/business/v/i...RD&localeId=33

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.