AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pearl Harbour (PH)will not pass solid sound through to my denon 1802 receiver. PH is a dd5.1 THX movie. I have built my new HTPC so i don't know if it is a HTPC prob/software prob or video prob... or perhaps even a sound card prob.

To check the DVD i went and hired another copy, but same result... only sound is very faint coming from centre speaker. All other movies play fine, DD / DTS all played fine. sound is great, DD and DTS lights on receiver are displayed.

Even got Phantom menance to see if THX movies are the prob (could this be so, anybody had any probs with a THX movie). However this did play.

The menu in PH does not have audio options so you cannot select audio on the DVD.

Have tried powerDVD4 and Windvd 3.1 with a sb live DE5.1 card (s/pdiff out)

if i select 2 channel in Powerdvd through s/pdiff then i get suround sound... (receiver DD light goes out.. i assume digital does not get passedthrough then).

also when PH goes through its start up (displays THX) you hear the full sound, even up to the stage of menu selection... however when movie starts then no sound.

I've come to hte conclusion it must be movie specific or there is something special about THX movies that i don't know about.

any help appreciated... it's driving me nuts.

· Registered
513 Posts
Pearl Harbor is encoded with Dolby Digital EX (6.1). Certain DD EX titles (including Pearl Harbor, Atlantis, and JP 3) cause problems with certain decoders. I have an Outlaw 1050 receiver & have problems with Atlantis -- I can fix it by turning the 6th channel on (even though I only really have 5.1) for that title.

See this link re: this problem on certain Onkyo receivers:
http://db1.onecall.com/Image_Product...vrarticle.html

Try Pearl Harbor again using the DTS track.

Regards

BB

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. it would appear that the denon would have a similar prob... the article was excellent in that it seemed to apply to my Q. It probably explains why i can get sound when selecting pro logic (2 channel).

I wish i could try DTS 5.1 but i could not find any audio settings anywhere...

I just paid $1200 for the receiver, I think i will be upset if more movies comeout that arn't compatible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.