AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to check out the 30" and 34" HS420s today. I was in complete disgust when I discovered the top of the cabinet is ROUND!!! HOW FRICKIN LAME!!!

For over 10 years I have had a center channel speaker happily siting upon the top of the set. For some dumb reason, Sony decides to make the top round, thus preventing a center channel speaker from sitting where it should. So, IF I were to get one of these, I would be forced to drill holes in the wall behind the TV and put up a gawdy looking shelf. What if I want to move the TV???? gotta drill more FRICKIN HOLES AND REPAINT!

Thanx Sony, you gave me a good reason to not consider these two sets.

Now if I were to shell out the money for an XBR, I can only assume that those cabinets have rounded tops also.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethestalker
Now if I were to shell out the money for an XBR, I can only assume that those cabinets have rounded tops also.
I honestly don't know what your talking about but if it's an consolation I currently have my center channel speaker on top of my KD-34XBR960.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
I was able to check out the 30" and 34" HS420s today. I was in complete disgust when I discovered the top of the cabinet is ROUND!!! HOW FRICKIN LAME!!!

For over 10 years I have had a center channel speaker happily siting upon the top of the set. For some dumb reason, Sony decides to make the top round, thus preventing a center channel speaker from sitting where it should. So, IF I were to get one of these, I would be forced to drill holes in the wall behind the TV and put up a gawdy looking shelf. What if I want to move the TV???? gotta drill more FRICKIN HOLES AND REPAINT!

What are you talking about? You've been looking for and making excuses based off misinformed opinons for weeks to "not consider Sony."

This is pretty thin, even for you.

Hell no, you don't need to do any of this!

Quote:

The XBR and XS have the same "frame/cabinet", so yes.

I think you're just making excuses for a lame thread and for more whining. Again. Another misinformed opinion from you.

We've been here with you before:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post6706413

Starting with post 6?

I figured we were due for another round of nonsense from you. Slow day at the office? On vacation for the week?

Bad news for us in any event, at this rate.

You weren't going to buy an XBR because of its "outrageous price", so it's a moot point anyways.

I have a rather bulky, nearly 30 lb. center channel speaker sitting on top of my 34XBR960 with absolutely zero problems. Zero install, zero work, zero drilling, zero effort. You find the "sweet spot" and it's perfectly stable. 30 seconds tops and it's all done.

Hell, I've even walked by and done violent jumping jacks in front of my setup just to prove it to myself. The speaker doesn't budge.

It's worth mentioning that my speaker has a black piano finish, which would make it that much more conducive to easy movement and slipping.

Doesn't happen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
What are you talking about? You've been looking for and making excuses based off misinformed opinons for weeks to "not consider Sony."

This is pretty thin, even for you.

Hell no, you don't need to do any of this!

The XBR and XS have the same "frame/cabinet", so yes.

I think you're just making excuses for a lame thread and for more whining. Again. Another misinformed opinion from you.

We've been here with you before:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...13#post6706413

Starting with post 6?

I figured we were due for another round of nonsense from you. Slow day at the office? On vacation for the week?

Bad news for us in any event, at this rate.

You weren't going to buy an XBR because of its "outrageous price", so it's a moot point anyways.

I have a rather bulky, nearly 30 lb. center channel speaker sitting on top of my 34XBR960 with absolutely zero problems. Zero install, zero work, zero drilling, zero effort. You find the "sweet spot" and it's perfectly stable. 30 seconds tops and it's all done.

Hell, I've even walked by and done violent jumping jacks in front of my setup just to prove it to myself. The speaker doesn't budge.

It's worth mentioning that my speaker has a black piano finish, which would make it that much more conducive to easy movement and slipping.

Doesn't happen.

That is the ONLY point in your reply that has anything to do with my post. Thank you very much, it deals precisely with my concerns.

The rest of it is you just being a puffed up jerk.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
That is the ONLY point in your reply that has anything to do with my post. Thank you very much, it deals precisely with my concerns.

The rest of it is you just being a puffed up jerk.

Calling it like I see it. The facts speak for themselves as do posts like these. ^^

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ
Calling it like I see it. The facts speak for themselves.
I'm glad you brought up facts. You're trying to tell me that when I saw and felt a rounded top on the telelvision, it is, "... Another misinformed opinion from you."

It would seem you would rather engage in arguements than assist with your personal experience and knowledge.

The proof is in your post.

So, yeah you're right for saying, "Calling it like I see it. The facts speak for themselves."

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:

Why all the drama?

Why all the bold and caps?

All because of a rounded frame and a center speaker?

I'd hate to see what would happen if something substantial were to go wrong for you.

I've got the HS420 with a center channel sitting right on top, right in the center. It took a total of 2 minutes to make it work.

What's the big deal?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I buy a Tv for the picture and then I add the rest. Many people have said " I have a wall cabinet that will only fit..." If your not going to watch much Tv then absolutely work around it. to me it is kinda like buying furniture before getting the house. Of course there are always exceptions. just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNINE
I buy a Tv for the picture and then I add the rest. Many people have said " I have a wall cabinet that will only fit..." If your not going to watch much Tv then absolutely work around it. to me it is kinda like buying furniture before getting the house. Of course there are always exceptions. just my 2 cents!
That's exactly how I approach this.

But, you know, times are changing.

I've been seeing more and more ads that talk about how good their sets look when they're turned off! This mostly goes for wall-mountable flat-panel sets. But this is absolutely wild! TVs are actually being designed to look good as a piece of furniture or art. You think this is to account for the-wife-factor?

I read a piece yesterday by a well-known HD type listing reasons why going HD can actually save you money. One of the reasons was that by buying an HD set you can save money on art. Instead of buying pricey pieces of art, folks can get a plasma set and, download images of famous paintings off the web, and show 'em slide show style on the tv.

The concept of television sets is undergoing a strange evolution.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My gripe with the rounded top is twofold. One is safety. Obviously, setting a flat surfaced speaker on top of a round surfaced TV runs the risk of being a safety issue. There is no real arguement that it is not a safety issue. Sony does have a concern about safety. That is why they have a locking mechanism on the back of the WEGA TVs which binds them to a WEGA stand.

The second reason I am miffed about this is because the 27" WEGA I have has a flat top. Which actually slopes ever so slightly toward the front. When the TV is on a stand the speaker is then aimed directly at you, not over your head. Sony took the time to design this into the TV and, apparently, the slope has a purpose. Now they have gone and made the top round.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
My gripe with the rounded top is twofold. One is safety. Obviously, setting a flat surfaced speaker on top of a round surfaced TV runs the risk of being a safety issue. There is no real arguement that it is not a safety issue. Sony does have a concern about safety. That is why they have a locking mechanism on the back of the WEGA TVs which binds them to a WEGA stand.

The second reason I am miffed about this is because the 27" WEGA I have has a flat top. Which actually slopes ever so slightly toward the front. When the TV is on a stand the speaker is then aimed directly at you, not over your head. Sony took the time to design this into the TV and, apparently, the slope has a purpose. Now they have gone and made the top round.
I don't like it either. The whole look of the HS420 series seems wrong to me. The color scheme on the XS/XBRs is much more appealing. The rounded-ness is gawdy to me. BTW - I secured my center speaker with some carefully placed velcro. I made it so it wouldn't show and look tacky, but still do the job.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc
I don't like it either. The whole look of the HS420 series seems wrong to me. The color scheme on the XS/XBRs is much more appealing. The rounded-ness is gawdy to me. BTW - I secured my center speaker with some carefully placed velcro. I made it so it wouldn't show and look tacky, but still do the job.
I do not like the way this set is designed at all, I must buy a new stand and I think the Sony stand is the only one that is made for it. I would like a choice if I am going to spend a couple hundred bucks then and I can only use it on this set.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I personally have never had a channel speaker on top of any set I have owned. First I always am concerned with the chance of a magnetic field and sencond I always had an entertainment center that had a spot for my center channel speaker. I think that would be low on my list of requirements. Picture quality is numero uno. BB or CC has entertainment sets that will hold a 34" or 30" set for very little money and you can get the tv you want.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88
I personally have never had a channel speaker on top of any set I have owned. First I always am concerned with the chance of a magnetic field and sencond I always had an entertainment center that had a spot for my center channel speaker. I think that would be low on my list of requirements. Picture quality is numero uno. BB or CC has entertainment sets that will hold a 34" or 30" set for very little money and you can get the tv you want.

Yes but the Sonys are made with these funky legs that the stands match.

None of this did not have anything to do with my decision in getting it. it is all after thought. PQ first-stands second!

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
dave rather than ranting and raving about this

I will suggest my suggestion again!

if the center channel placement is such an issue

buy another TV!

will all have priorities when buying a TV

there is no reason we need 20 posts discussing this (although it seems to be getting better)

it would be one thing, if you can change it but you cannot,

none of us can dispite it being not what we would ideally want

furthermore there are better ways to handle it than calling people jerks

you started this thread, edit your post, make it so people want to response and not call you out for being disrespectful

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
dave rather than ranting and raving about this

I will suggest my suggestion again!

if the center channel placement is such an issue

buy another TV!

will all have priorities when buying a TV

there is no reason we need 20 posts discussing this (although it seems to be getting better)

it would be one thing, if you can change it but you cannot,

none of us can dispite it being not what we would ideally want

furthermore there are better ways to handle it than calling people jerks

you started this thread, edit your post, make it so people want to response and not call you out for being disrespectful

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yes a center channel shelf above the tv on the wall would help a lot,i have one and it's not a problem just as long aas it's not too high over the tv set.

I don't see the point of this thread to the original poster, then consider another tv and get over it!!

Or better yet get a center channel shelf, what's wrong with that idea?I use it and have no problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.