AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you don't see the point of this thread, read through it again. It is obvious. I am considering various 30" or 34" CRTs. The fact that the Sonys have a round top does not sit well with me, especially when Sony is a major player. Apparently others do agree with me that having a rounded top is not the best design idea Sony has had. My question still remains, why would they do it?


The center channel shelf shown at AudioAdvisor is a neat solution. I'm curious as to how it would work with a deep backed CRT. Does the top portion of the shelf slide forward?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davethestalker
If you don't see the point of this thread, read through it again. It is obvious. I am considering various 30" or 34" CRTs. The fact that the Sonys have a round top does not sit well with me, especially when Sony is a major player. Apparently others do agree with me that having a rounded top is not the best design idea Sony has had. My question still remains, why would they do it?


The center channel shelf shown at AudioAdvisor is a neat solution. I'm curious as to how it would work with a deep backed CRT. Does the top portion of the shelf slide forward?
It appears that the angle at which the shelf is oriented is your choice. It looks like you can set it up however you wish.


I have also struggled with this thread - mainly what I consider to be your "over-the-top" emotional text to the roundedness of the HS420 case. IMO, it's just not that big a deal. It's something every HS420/XS/XBR owner has had to deal with and you are the very first one I've seen to "lose it" because of the case.


As has been offered, deal with it or move on to another set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskay
Would a center channel speaker shelf like this work?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...p?sku=OMNCCH1B


My only concern with this would be: Weight threshold and tolerance. I've seen simillar products at places like Circuity City, but there's no way my 30 lb. center channel speaker would fit on one of those.


By appearances, this product looks a bit more sturdy and promising.


I guess if it can handle:
Quote:


The versatile CCH-1 isn't just for speakers, either. It also works great with your DVD player, VCR, AV receiver, video game console, and other A/V components. The CCH-1 assembles easily with the included hardware and allen wrench.
I may just have to give this thing a whirl. The very small gouse field I have in the upper right corner of my screen wouldn't be missed. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I feel this is a valid complaint/issue (and it's with many manufacturers). I have an XBR because of the picture quality. Still, I find the round top irksome because it forces me to put my center speaker elsewhere. In this day and age of surround sound it does make since for TVs to be designed a little more user friendly. Why are you beating up on this guy for stating the obvious?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza
I feel this is a valid complaint/issue (and it's with many manufacturers). I have an XBR because of the picture quality. Still, I find the round top irksome because it forces me to put my center speaker elsewhere. In this day and age of surround sound it does make since for TVs to be designed a little more user friendly. Why are you beating up on this guy for stating the obvious?
Perhaps Sony designed it that way on purpose because they don't WANT people putting center channels directly on top of the TV. Many (many) center channels are improperly shielded (despite manufacturer claims), and cause display issues with the TV because of that. Perhaps Sony was tired of sending techs out on service calls on their older flat-topped sets when the issue wasn't the TV, but was the center channel causing the problem. So, they cut down on the issue by rounding the top of the TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
Perhaps Sony designed it that way on purpose because they don't WANT people putting center channels directly on top of the TV. Many (many) center channels are improperly shielded (despite manufacturer claims), and cause display issues with the TV because of that. Perhaps Sony was tired of sending techs out on service calls on their older flat-topped sets when the issue wasn't the TV, but was the center channel causing the problem. So, they cut down on the issue by rounding the top of the TV.
Very, very insightful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
Perhaps Sony designed it that way on purpose because they don't WANT people putting center channels directly on top of the TV. Many (many) center channels are improperly shielded (despite manufacturer claims), and cause display issues with the TV because of that. Perhaps Sony was tired of sending techs out on service calls on their older flat-topped sets when the issue wasn't the TV, but was the center channel causing the problem. So, they cut down on the issue by rounding the top of the TV.
Easily the best potential explanation I've ever seen, outside of simple aesthetics and going for a more "streamlined" and "sleek" look.


My 34XBR960, believe it or not, is quite noticeably less bulky than my previous TV, the Zenith c32v37 4:3 that now resides in my home gym. Maybe that's all there is to it, but I wouldn't doubt there's some truth to what you wrote here Gecko. :)
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top