AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why you prefer standard dvd instead of high def ? Or are you planning to change your preference anytime soon ?

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezzar /forum/post/12854233

Why you prefer standard dvd instead of high def ? Or are you planning to change your preference anytime soon ?

Prefer? Do I have a choice? I have about 160 titles in my Netflix queue, exactly zero of which are available in HDM.

I have a small screen, small viewing area, and am indifferent to audio. Titles I am interesting in are appearing very slowly, so I can wait a while.

SD-DVD also has the virtue of easy rippability. This is still illegal, though commonly done.

-Bill

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't.

Was this question directed to any one particular person?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Why I stay with SD for now:

- They are cheap to own.

- They work perfectly fine on my 92" 720p DLP display (ignorance may be bliss).

- I question the amount of benefit displaying 1080p source on a 720p display after any conversions (i.e., 1080p -> 540p -> upconverted to 720p vs. 480p upconverted to 720p).

- Availability of titles (the recent titles look great on SD's anyway and older titles are not available).

- I'm not convinced that the early set of HD DVDs are going to be any different then the early SD DVDs in that people will be wanting to double dip after a few years when they get better at maximizing what they can do with the format.

As for when I would switch:

- I just replaced my bulb and have about 4 years left on this projector with it.

- I figure in four years I will probably be ready to upgrade my projector to a 1080p model and will probably investigate HD DVDs.

- Hopefully any issues of format will be cleared up by then.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say I "prefer" SD DVD over HD, but there are several reasons I'm satisified with it:

1) Much better selection of movies. Right now, HDM is too new to offer the kinds of choices I like in my viewing. There are some movies that barely made it to DVD, much less eventually make it to HDM.

2) Price: DVD is dirt cheap. No, scratch that....have you seen the prices of topsoil? DVD is cheaper.

3) Many DVDs have beautiful transfers that look great on my TV. Meanwhile, there are a decent number of "bad' HD transfers out there. For example, "The Cowboys" on HD DVD is a pretty poor transfer. The DVD looks nearly as good. In addition, some DVD transfers (like Cars) look so good, it's hard to imagine the Blu-Ray version looking that much better on my somewhat small (40") screen.

4) The format war is all but over, but until one format officially gets the boot, I'm gunshy about buying in fully.

5) Blu-Ray (which looks like it will be the winner), is still a wee bit out of my price comfort zone another $50 - $100 cheaper and I'll probably be in.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
90-95% of the titles I want aren't available in a HD format. And the stuff that is available in HD isn't something I'm willing to pay 3-4X the price to buy. So my high def collection consists entirely of the 5 free discs I got for buying the player.

If something is available in high def, I'll pick that format for my NetFlix queue. Of the 23 titles in my queue at the moment, 22 are SD.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
format war: probably over. Sure hope Forbidden Planet will be reissued in Blu-ray

selection: it will take forever for the sort of stuff I like to be issued on high-def, if ever

on my present display it wouldn't make a lot of difference

some titles it wouldn't make a great deal of difference:

cartoons- drawn usually at about 3x4'. Higher definition means you see the flaws better

videotape and shows mastered on videotape- you'll never get more resolution

television shows on film are frequently on 16mm and in any case are designed to be seen on small screen

apparently some HD mastering is pretty sorry- and much of what I have seen just look like photos in Photoshop with the unsharp mask cranked way, way up

$$$$$

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/12855535

format war: probably over. Sure hope Forbidden Planet will be reissued in Blu-ray

selection: it will take forever for the sort of stuff I like to be issued on high-def, if ever

on my present display it wouldn't make a lot of difference

some titles it wouldn't make a great deal of difference:

cartoons- drawn usually at about 3x4'. Higher definition means you see the flaws better

videotape and shows mastered on videotape- you'll never get more resolution

television shows on film are frequently on 16mm and in any case are designed to be seen on small screen

apparently some HD mastering is pretty sorry- and much of what I have seen just look like photos in Photoshop with the unsharp mask cranked way, way up

$$$$$

You could be right that the "Format War" may be over. If so, then I expect many of us on the forum, and almost all normal consumers will learn to be patient and enjoy the quality of SD DVD because BR machines are NOT affordable to the masses at this time.

I own an HD DVD player. As another poster commented, some of the poor transfers look no better than the Upconverted SD DVD. However, there are some that are stunning. I jumped in to HD DVD during the Walmart sell. If HD DVD is over, done, dead.....then I'll settle for SD DVD until prices of BR are a little more reasonable. I paid over $300 for my first SD DVD player because the jump from VHS to DVD was amazing. I won't spend that much for BR as I don't feel the jump from SD DVD is HD Media is worth the cost.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm hoping prices for HD-DVD's drop, massively, so I can get everything I want. I did that when RCA abandoned CED back in 1984 and retailers were closing out titles for 5 bucks each.

I have no problem owning an 'abandoned' format if I have the titles I want on it. If my player should break, eBay is always an option - heck, I still have a Quasar VX-1000 format Great Time Machine! (my partners mom said our house looks like the electronics section in a Goodwill - all kinds of abandoned formats!).

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I don't prefer SD to HD (bD); however, SD DVD is still a viable format, and still the major part of my home-theater viewing.

Current advantages for SD DVD include:

-- ripability to Media Center

-- price

-- availability of titles

Given the choice, I'm choosing rentals from Netflix in this priority order: bD, HD-DVD, DVD. That still means more SD DVD rentals come my way than any other format.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just needed to add to the many good reasons above, DVDs are pretty much playable everywhere now. I have a couple of LCD TVs with DVD players built in that are used in our bedrooms, most of my friends and relatives only have DVD players, and even my PC and laptop at work can play them.

Given an upsampled SD DVD looks VERY close to HD on my 50" 720P DLP, I just can't find any compelling reason to move up. I've been reviewing the discussions here on AVS for quite some time looking for a good reason to move up and I just haven't heard it. Maybe, when we are really down to one HD format, and the players reach the maturity they plan to have I'll consider. But until there's a real advantage, no.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I prefer the best quality I can find for my collection.

In the real world it's 250+ SD and around 30 BD.

SD looks great on the BD player, so it's all about the film,

not the format.

Half the collection will never make it to BD. Not a problem here.

Some people watch their equipment. Others watch movies.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I won't say I prefer SD to HD. But I will say that SD on my st at elast tends to look more like film. HD can be a little too clean looking at times, like all teh charcteristics of film have been washed away. It looks spectacular, but then you put in a very nice dvd and that film look is there.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There's a lot of reasons to stay with DVD as has been mentioned, particularily the "good-enough" factor for many (most?) people. An excellent DVD transfer can look very good played on an upconverting DVD player and sent by HDMI to a HD TV.

But truthfully, HDM is a step up from DVD, both in terms of PQ and sound quality. So, no, I don't prefer standard DVD. But truthfully, I watch BD, DVD and even LD, depending on which format I have the movie.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Not strictly the topic, but

Why to get High-def:

Operas filmed in high-definition video. There are a fair number already with more coming every week

Russian Ark

Quo Vadis

Giant

Old widescreen films that were on the spectacular side, i.e.

Forbidden Planet

Bad Day at Black Rock

Spartacus
though the existing HD version is purportedly mediocre at best
Mutiny on the Bounty contoversial film, but it apparently looks phenomenal

many of the early CinemaScope Fox films

VistaVision films and 70mm stuff:

Lawrence

Ben Hur

Fall of the Roman Empire

Playtime

Oliver!

Dersu Uzala

Cinerama, though it still would not be the same

·
Registered
732 Posts
Forbidden Planet on HD-DVD is awsome, not only due to the picture, but because they FINALLY got the sound right! The original fully directional dialogue that's been absent for so long.

BTW, how's Sparticus and Mutiny... in terms of sound? Do they have their original directional dialogue? I can't watch the HD-DVD of 2001 because the dialogue has been de-directionalized and ruins the movie for me. Superman is like that too... Happily, Blade Runner has directional dialogue and is wonderful.

I 'hope' when Warner finally gets around to How The West Was Won on BD, that they use the original DIRECTIONAL 7-track Cinerama sound master and not that awful mono mix that's on the DVD. That, plus using the "Smilebox" process would make a great High Def release. The DVD of Around The World In 80 Days sound transfer is perfect and even has the 3 surround channels (EX-Encoded) of the original Cinestage presentation. The 30fps transfer is great too.

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
I'm not as picky as some about the image quality of my movies as many folks are.

Oh and yes the format war was the big reason I never had a desire to join in...glad I am waiting seeing all the folks who got burned (or at least singed) by the HD DVD thing.

It doesn't nut me up that I can't see every wrinkle on an actor etc..

SD DVD for now looks damn good on my upconvert player...never had any complaints...and I never sit complaining that I wish it was "hi-def".

I do like hi-def, don't get me wrong, but it's not a top priority in my life..

If things settle and we get pretty much all studios swtched over to Blu, I'll add a Blu player to my Xmas 2008 wish list and just go from there...but if the prices of the media stays as outrageous this Xmas as it is now, I'll pass and wait however long it takes.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
glad I am waiting seeing all the folks who got burned (or at least singed) by the HD DVD thing.

I simply don't see it as being 'burned', nor did I ever feel any 'risk' in adopting HD-DVD. It plays the movies I bought (or rent) in HD and plays them wonderfully. That will be the case tomorrow and next year too. When the time comes to move to Blu-ray, then I will, but in the mean time, I've been enjoying my HD-DVD's and that won't stop.

So, where's the 'burn'? I'm not trying to pick a fight with you about it, I just don't see it as some terrible situation. Would I prefer that Warner stayed with HD-DVD? Yes. But it doesn't invalidate my purchase now, nor make it regrettable. And, if I had decided to 'wait-it-out' till one format became the 'standard', there would be all that time missed that I could have been enjoying great HD-DVD titles.

See what I mean?

·
Banned
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclord /forum/post/12859253

I simply don't see it as being 'burned', nor did I ever feel any 'risk' in adopting HD-DVD. It plays the movies I bought (or rent) in HD and plays them wonderfully. That will be the case tomorrow and next year too. When the time comes to move to Blu-ray, then I will, but in the mean time, I've been enjoying my HD-DVD's and that won't stop.

So, where's the 'burn'? I'm not trying to pick a fight with you about it, I just don't see it as some terrible situation. Would I prefer that Warner stayed with HD-DVD? Yes. But it doesn't invalidate my purchase now, nor make it regrettable. And, if I had decided to 'wait-it-out' till one format became the 'standard', there would be all that time missed that I could have been enjoying great HD-DVD titles.

See what I mean?

Oh sure..I see what ya mean and undertand your take on it...

Me I rather not have to have two machines to play the movies...now that things are going to the Blu side, a day will soon come that you can buy one format machine of your choice and watch pretty much anything you buy...until that time I'm willing to wait....I'm hoping Xmas 08 we see this scenario play out so I can get a machine...if not, I'm not overly worried..I don't have to have my movies in Hi Def to enjoy them.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts