AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually like these types of posts but I'm posting this to help others avoid Onkyo and the potential problems they could have with them.

Short background...

I bought my first Onkyo last year... a TX-SR805 and use it as a pre-amp. It works but has issues... DSP problems, audio/video switching delays, and the amp section gets VERY HOT... too hot to touch the top of the unit. (remember, I don't use the internal amps so nothing is "drawing" power from them)

Why I will never buy Onkyo and you should consider not to also...

I work for one of the 2 largest computer companies in the world and know the "standard" support given by most companies these days. Onkyo's customer service is not acceptible and are not owning up to what should be their responsibilities.

Onkyo is willing to sell you a $1000 receiver that is shipped with problems/issues and then require you to pay the expensive shipping cost ($40-50 in the case of the SR805) to get it to a Regional Service Center... when they already have a Local Service Center but are unwilling to support them.

I called Onkyo support 3 times and tried to get the support people and supervisor to absorb the cost of shipping and/or provide the local service shop ( www.dyna-tronics.com ) with the equipment and software. Dyna-Tronics has been in the business over 50 years, they are no slouches. I spoke with Dyna-Tronics manager and he said Onkyo gives them very little and very poor support. The service centers get 98% the same info that the regular consumer gets on the internet... about 2% more on the "dealer site" Onkyo provides and they use the SAME customer support line... and no special support people, no main contact person, nothing. Thus it is really not much more than you or I get!

I left 4 messages over 2 weeks trying to get a reply from the Onkyo national support manager, Jack Cooper. My last message was telling him I'd call the Onkyo executives if he did not respond. He called back a few hours later.

Jack only stated the "party line" and was completely unwilling to help. He only made excuses like, it requires a jig and the local centers don't have the experience to do the work... really? 50 years not enough? He would not comment on these issues...

I stated...

A) Computers have been easily home for updatable for over 10 years. How come we spend $1k on a receiver and we cannot do the same to fix problems solved by firmware?

B) There are obviously problems with the SR805 since there are 7 or 8 firmware updates in a year.

C) My SR805 has firmware v1.0 and it cannot be updated but newer firmware versions can be... obviously a bug/problem got fixed in later firware versions, yes? I'd expect Onkyo would fix the problem with no cost to the consumer since without that problem the customer would not have needed to ship the unit.

All my logic was ignored he did not give any hint that he or Onkyo cared about their problems or the customer perception... even after I stated that I'd be posting on the forums and telling everyone about the "bad taste" Onkyo is leaving... and that I'd not buy Onkyo ever again and recommend that no one does.

I'll give my cash, and support, to companies that care to give me not only good equipment, but good customer service to match.

my conclusion... DON'T BUY ONKYO

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
That really sucks Livin. I think I will go with Denon for my next receiver.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just started a thread on wanting to be rid of Onkyo for good as well. I'm currently looking at Yamaha or Denon as my replacements.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi

Maybe you had a problem with a specific model, thats understandable, but I think its a bit harsh (and probably legally questionable act) to write here "dont buy onkyo" just based solely on your case,while onkyo cannot defend themselfs here..

from reading this forum and forums in other sites I can tell there are a lot of people who are very pleased with onkyo.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
probably legally questionable act

lmao!!

its an opinion on an opinion site, if that was illegal then half the internet would be shutdown and 99% of all forums out there would have lawsuits against them.

Onkyo can defend themselves simply by fixing the problems. Owners can rant all they want and tell anyone they want not too buy the products there is simply nothing illegal about it.

Heck we post constantly telling people not to buy BOSE, not to buy Monster products and not to buy expensive speaker wires or cables because there is no true difference between them in the cheaper stuff. People are just wasting their money.

Heck I would post that Onkyo has way too many problems on their hands, more returns and more refurbished units exist every day.

In the end no matter what we post, we are simply posting opinion and we are simply suggesting that others don't buy product X from company Y.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/14237290

Onkyo is willing to sell you a $1000 receiver that is shipped with problems/issues and then require you to pay the expensive shipping cost ($40-50 in the case of the SR805) to get it to a Regional Service Center... when they already have a Local Service Center but are unwilling to support them.

I called Onkyo support 3 times and tried to get the support people and supervisor to absorb the cost of shipping and/or provide the local service shop ( www.dyna-tronics.com ) with the equipment and software. Dyna-Tronics has been in the business over 50 years, they are no slouches. I spoke with Dyna-Tronics manager and he said Onkyo gives them very little and very poor support. The service centers get 98% the same info that the regular consumer gets on the internet... about 2% more on the "dealer site" Onkyo provides and they use the SAME customer support line... and no special support people, no main contact person, nothing. Thus it is really not much more than you or I get!

That is pretty lame that Onkyo forces you not to use a local service center which is listed on their site, and then to pony up more money to ship the receiver to their national center when you have been inconvienced!

·
Registered
8,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14237467

lmao!!

its an opinion on an opinion site, if that was illegal then half the internet would be shutdown and 99% of all forums out there would have lawsuits against them.

Onkyo can defend themselves simply by fixing the problems. Owners can rant all they want and tell anyone they want not too buy the products there is simply nothing illegal about it.

Heck we post constantly telling people not to buy BOSE, not to buy Monster products and not to buy expensive speaker wires or cables because there is no true difference between them in the cheaper stuff. People are just wasting their money.

Heck I would post that Onkyo has way too many problems on their hands, more returns and more refurbished units exist every day.

In the end no matter what we post, we are simply posting opinion and we are simply suggesting that others don't buy product X from company Y.

Very true, but when you have many people having these issues and there are a ton of returns, can you say Class Action Lawsuit! It happens all the time, and if there are enough problems reported don't you think lawyers are starting to drool over this.
There was enough people bitching on here about the SXRD optical block issues and there was a lawsuit created because of the problems people had, well some people(duh!!) went back and returned the set like 4-5 times, I would have stopped on #2.
and changed brands....

What there should be is a tweaking thread and a problem thread for popular items on here, because half the time tweaking threads get taken over by some one who is pissed and has an axe to grind!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but...

Quote:
my conclusion... DON'T BUY ONKYO

...I'm certainly glad that I didn't see this and take it to heart before I purchased my 805. My receiver has none of the problems you describe and has performed flawlessly thus far. I'd recommend it to anyone shopping for a receiver within its pricerange.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 /forum/post/14237926

Sorry to hear about your problems, but...

...I'm certainly glad that I didn't see this and take it to heart before I purchased my 805. My receiver has none of the problems you describe and has performed flawlessly thus far. I'd recommend it to anyone shopping for a receiver within its pricerange.

you missed the point... it has nothing to do with the 805, and everything to do with the low quality of support Onkyo gives, IF you have a problem.

it is nice to see you have no problem... but if you do Onkyo has not shown they care much.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur /forum/post/14238184

Do you have a dealer that you can work through? Sometimes an extra buffer actually helps.

CircuitCity... that is all. I may try that route.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Just so you know, Marantz and Pioneer also require you to ship the unit in for updates, at your expense. So I guess you can add two more to your list, and I'm sure there are others as well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE... I sent them an email similar to the one I posted in the first post.

Quote:
Thank you for your additional comments but the answer remains the same.

Jack Cooper

National Service Manager

Onkyo U.S.A. Corporation

my response...

I will be sending a written copy to the Onkyo USA and Onkyo corporate executives directly. I also posted this on AVS forum and will post on other highly used forums to raise awareness. The more I post, and others respond, the more it will come up on Internet search engines and the word will spread. I don't think it will make Onkyo go under, but it surely will not help sell equipment for you.

I hope someday soon you change your outdated (and in today's world, unacceptable) methods for firmware updating and give better support for those of us that placed our faith, and our cash, in Onkyo and are hurt by your methods and reluctance to make things right.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/14238105

you missed the point... it has nothing to do with the 805, and everything to do with the low quality of support Onkyo gives, IF you have a problem.

it is nice to see you have no problem... but if you do Onkyo has not shown they care much.

I would speculate that most Onkyo receivers don't have a plethora of problems, I have never had any problems with mine. However, I do value good if not great customer service and it sounds like Livin didn't get either. Everytime I have corresponded with Denon they have been very prompt and helpful.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/14238262

Just so you know, Marantz and Pioneer also require you to ship the unit in for updates, at your expense. So I guess you can add two more to your list, and I'm sure there are others as well.

There seems to be a problem in some area or another with almost every

brand mentioned in these forums, just start reading them there is no such

thing as a trouble free avr at least not yet so pick your poison but I would

suggest reading the entire thread for the model and brand you want.

·
Registered
633 Posts
not only does it look like ****, onkyo works like ****

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
^^That true but the OP's point, as reiterated in Post #9, relates specifically to Onkyo's CS (or lack thereof) and not to issues with the receiver per se.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Onkyo has come quite far, from a brand respected for quality amplifiers (we still own some), to some wallmart el'cheapo brand with no quality control nor support.

Nice management.. *sigh*

Shame to see good companies go to **** like this..

Also the way that manager replied to you is quite frankly unbelievable and shows their lack of any professionalism.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin /forum/post/14238105

you missed the point...

No, it is you who have missed my point.

Anyone strolling through here and taking your "DON'T BUY ONKYO" to heart could be done just as much a disservice as someone who didn't. I'm thrilled with my Onkyo and had I read a post such as yours and followed its advice, I'd have missed out on a great piece of equipment that has performed perfectly for me.

I sympathize with your situation - it's crappy, to be sure. Good luck getting things worked out.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Love my Integra 9.8! Sorry to hear about your woes...

1 - 20 of 355 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.