AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get WHYY rock solid. But the last couple of weeks I have not been able to pick it up at all. Did they lower their transmitter power or something else?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Check out this thread further down this page

Autumn and DTV Reception - AVS Forum

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pointer Dave, but I doubt that this is the explanation. The Philly ABC station was always weaker than WHYY, but I still get ABC. Also, I believe that they transmit from roughly the same location. So if the environment is the culprit, I would expect ABC to be gone before WHYY. Right now, WHYY is not even intermittent - just plain missing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Are you sure you have your antenna pointed properly? I'm in Freehold, which is probably farther from Philly than you, and I'm getting 92% signal on my Dish 6000 with a Radio Shack Yagi in the attic. The site www.antennaweb.org was very helpful in determining exactly which direction to point the antenna.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This advisory went out last Friday - I wonder if their pattern changed. I'll try to find out.

Pete Putman

Please be advised that WHYY TV 12, DTV 12-1, 12-3 and WHYY 91 FM will be

off the air on Monday 10/22 from 1:00am until 6:00am. If the necessary

work is completed before 6:00am, we will resume broadcasting at that time.

This is necessary in order to perform OSHA required work on the Tower.

Previous attempts were canceled due to weather conditions or breaking news

events.

If the work is not completed as scheduled, an advisory will be sent

announcing the new date when it becomes available.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI

WHYY-DT55 has been and continues to operate at normal power (87KW ERP, 800', Phila. Antenna Farm) with the exception of the maintenance outage that Pete Putman kindly posted in this thread. The DTV transmitting system was recently recalibrated and everything looks good.

Reception changes have been occurring throughout the area as the foliage change take place. Some viewers are reporting increased signal levels, some no change and others are having problems. WHYY has no immediate plans to increase power.

Hopefully, the pending Comcast carriage announcements will offer an alternative - albeit, at a price.

Distant reception would improve with my increased transmission power, but closer in reception may not directly benefit. Many of the receiving problems are associated with the reception of multiple reflected signals and not necessarily power related.

Slight receiver antenna reorientation may correct the situation.

Regards,

Bill Weber

WHYY

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Weber
Hopefully, the pending Comcast carriage announcements will offer an alternative - albeit, at a price
When might Comcast carry WHYY in Philadelphia in HDTV?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had the exact same situation with WHYY and other HD stations that take the signal off the air for any length of time. My guess is that you are probably using a DTC100. If so the fix that corrects this for me (so far 100% of the time) is to perform a quick scan of the OTA stations - my guess is that once you complete the scan WHYY will return in all of its glory.

My thanks to Bill Weber and his staff for helping me to find this fix several weeks ago.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.