AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what's happening with WHYY? Last night when I tuned to channel 12.1 the set was re-directed to channel 99. There was no picture or sound on channel 99. This morning when I tuned channel 99 the set was re-directed to channel 12. There is a picture on 12.1 and a blank screen on channel 12.4. WHYY usually broadcasts on 12.1 and 12.3. Any one have any idea as to what is happening? Thanks.

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
Yeah... I don't know!! Tried 12-3 yesterday and nothing. Same this morning. I could only get 12.1 .... that was at 4:00am.

Maybe upgrades? Problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bill Weber from channel 12 sent out a notice a week and a half ago that the digital up-convert of SD would only occur during the day and that 12.3 (the HD loop) would move to 12.1 during prime hours.

The text of his email follows:

Please note that on Monday, June 10, 2002, WHYY will make a technical and

programming change on WHYY-DT.

All digital viewer services will be broadcast on 12-1 (55-1 on some

receivers). The WHYY-DT signal will continue to be received on UHF TV

Channel 55.

High-definition programming and demonstrations will occur between 7 p.m.

and 3 a.m. daily. The remainder of the 24 hour broadcast day will be a

high quality, standard definition simulcast of the WHYY-TV12 program

schedule.

This change enables WHYY to further develop additional DTV services and

programming possibilities for the future, including high-definition,

datacasting and multiple television channels. Your DTV receiver or set

top box should not require any adjustments when this change occurs.

Now the real question is - what is going on with channel 99.1. It is not WHYY (they are on 55) and there isn't any PSIP associated with the carrier. The signal strength is on par with channel 10 and 12 making me think that it's from the same antenna system and therefore could be UPN. Just idle speculation at this point.

Dan

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
Thanks Jim!

Kinda disappointing, but hopefully this may turn out to be for the best.

·
Registered
63 Posts
As many of you have noted, WHYY has changed transmission formats.

12.1 will be the primary viewer service broadcasting high quality SD at 6mbs from 3 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily followed by local and national HD programming from PBS from 7 p.m. until 3 a.m. daily. Most of the special HD broadcasts are repeated by PBS for the western time zone. Be sure to catch the national broadcast of the Eakins Special produced by WHYY on June 16th.

99.1 was a PSIP mapping test. We have also created an unprogrammed SD service channel that is now designated 12.4. This service channel will be used for special video feeds occasionally.

While the loss of HD 24x7 is regrettable, this change enables us to explore the full potential of the bandwidth for other special services. We do remain committed to provide a high quality, high-definition service as well. Hopefully, much more than the demonstration loop and occasional specials currently broadcast.

Sorry about the the strange PSIP allocation.

At least 80.1 didn't show up again. :)

Bill Weber

WHYY

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
To Bill Weber. I was wondering if you had any information as to when (if?) your digital signal will end up on Comcast's HD service. Until you increase your power, I am unable to pick you up here OTA due to terrain problems. Can pick up channel 39 in Allentown and 44 in Wilkes Barre though. Thanks.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Anyone else able to tune in WHYY tonight? The tuner locks into 55 but I'm not getting any of the subchannel assignments. Just a black screen. Tried to rescan without any luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had no problems with 12.1 (maps from 55.1).

Dan

·
Registered
492 Posts
I just tried it again after rescanning all the stations. I'm still getting the same problem. I guess whatever remapping they've done since Wed has made it incompatible with receiving it on a MyHD tuner card.

When I fired up my HiPix card and Panasonic TUDST51 both were able to get the signal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are still in the process of re-mapping the program transport stream. Additional changes will occur early next week.

With the present configuration, the MyHD card that I just installed is receiving both the primary and 1 sub-channel fine indicated as 55-1 (Color Bars) and 55-2(SD/HD programming). I did need to delete all the DTV channels and then re-scan late last week to receive the additional sub-channel again.

We are working to reverse the channel order assignment making 55-1 (12-1) the primary default channel with active programming. Sub-channel 55-2 (or mapped 12-4) will be an occasional use sub-channel.

My Dishnet 6000 receiver receives both channels fine, although the program guide listings are in reverse order. The DTC-100 has no problem, nor do other STB receivers as far as we can tell.

When the final stream set-up is complete I will let you know.

Bill Weber

WHYY

·
Registered
492 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the update. Just as an FYI - I was able to tune into the station around noon today. I just tried again and I'm back to the same problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
bill,

i am assuming you work for whyy so i will pose this to you.

the removal of hdtv during prime business hours is a huge blow to the general public's adoption of this wonderful technology. as an a/v retailer in Philadelphia we always had whyy broadcast on virtually every television throughout the store. the response from every customer that entered our store was astounding, people truly loved this demo loop. so many people were turned on to purchasing hd televisions and it is truly a shame to see it go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I understand the the point that you make regarding the impact of the loss of the HD demo loop during the business hours. We have been running the demo loop for over two years now, 24 x 7.

The FCC has set deadlines for increasing amounts of simulcasting over the next few years. Running both SD and HD together consumes a large amount of the available bandwidth.

Considering our need to continue to explore all the service options to serve the community, we realized that we needed to drop the HD demo loop during the day. This opens the bandwidth needed to continue to test and consider unique multicast SD techniques, datacasting services and other income generating possibilities.

The increasing availability of continuous HD programming via satellite and cable may offer another in-store demo opportunity to investigate. This was a difficult but necessary business decision. Future WHYY programming initiatives could include daytime HD as well, but unfortunately not in the immediate future.

Hopefully, this insight will give you a better understanding of the logic behind the re-configuration action. We will continue to evaluate the situation and viewer environment as we proceed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bill Weber

WHYY

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.