AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you testing the speed of your WiFi connections?

My connection is DSL through the WRT54GS router then to the ethernet port, using the speed test at 2wire.com my computer is running at 1.27 Mbps.

My PS3 is connected through WiFi only, now here's the weird part, the 2wire speed test shows this for my PS3,

9.35 Mbps is obviously wrong but I did the speed test 3 times with the same result.

Where are you going for the speed tests & what is the difference between your computer & PS3?

Could some of you use 2wire to check your computer & PS3 & see if you get the same kind of results I did?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
If I remember, I will try this tonight. But, are you only interested in wireless results?

Both my PS3 and my computers are wired and connected to a 1gb switch.

I've used CNet's speed test, but I typically use Speakeasy.net's. I'll compare both Speakeasy and 2Wire if I can.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've done the speakeasy test. Matter of fact, it was the first site I went to in the browser. With wireless on the PS3 I was getting around 2-3Mbs.

I tried different routers and it went up to about 3-4Mbs.

The GF's computer is wireless to the router. It would top out around 10-11 Mbs.

A wired connect to the PS3 didn't do much better. Maybe an additional 2Mbs or so.

I don't remember what the Wii scored, but it wasn't to impressive either.

I really wanted to test the connection through a Linux session but at the time I installed Linux I was using the wireless connection only and there were / are no wireless drivers for Linux and the PS3. Not to mention I was so ticked that there were no drivers I've not booted back into Linux since I got everything installed.

I also did some timed test of downloads between the 360 and the PS3. Both are using a wireless connection back to the router, though I have to admit that the 360 is using the 11.a connection while the PS3 is using the 11.g connection (though the G connection is not mixed with B). The 360 was about 50% faster at downloading the same size file.

But both the 360 and the PS3 is great at online with no lag or other problems. The only problem that I have with the PS3 is when downloading files from the PS Store. However, that is the main time that speed will matter is when your downloading files from the PS3 store.

Oh, and my main computer that is wired to the router... Gets 13-15Mbs unless the rest of the neighborhood is hammering the cable lines.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you use speakeasy?

When I go to the speed test area, the place where the links to the cities that do the tests is blank & it says application not supported.

·
Registered
810 Posts
you cant test via PS3 browser, since it will not give you proper results...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I get around 4Mbps on my PS3 via wifi, which is about the same as what I get from PC which is wired to my router. This is not surprising as wifi-g is capable of much more (54Mbps theoretically), so this means the PS3 is transferring data at the same speed as any other machine in my house.

btw, the best website to measure your speed is dslreports.com/speedtest . This site uses a java or flash 8 applet to measure your download speed, but unfortunately the PS3 cant use the site because it doesn't have java and it only has the very old Flash 7 plugin in its built in browser.

In fact, it's quite a serious deficiency that PS3 browser only has flash 7 support. I'm not sure why they couldn't get a newer version of the plugin (current version is 9).

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought the PS3 was Java enabled?

Couldn't I just update the flash version like I do on my computer when a new version is released?

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose /forum/post/0

I thought the PS3 was Java enabled?

Couldn't I just update the flash version like I do on my computer when a new version is released?

of course not - it is custom version of flash for PS3...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've always used broadbandreports.com as my testing site. I dont like the cnet site and the 2wire site is always WAY faster than any other site. The speakeasy is nice too.

Sadly my dsl is slow. I cant tell when playing online, I still dont see ANY lag playing resistance.

·
Registered
326 Posts
my wifi sucks on the PS3. this is using the speakeasy test.

wired connection on my laptop - 8242kbps down 360kbps up

PS3 wireless - 1682kbps down 364kbps up

in regards to the 1682 down, I reran the test several times and each test was quite a bit lower too.

is there any way to increase the speeds without using a direct wired connection?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks /forum/post/0

my wifi sucks on the PS3. this is using the speakeasy test.

wired connection on my laptop - 8242kbps down 360kbps up

PS3 wireless - 1682kbps down 364kbps up

in regards to the 1682 down, I reran the test several times and each test was quite a bit lower too.

is there any way to increase the speeds without using a direct wired connection?

maybe if you buy a different router. I assume you're using a 802.11g router (if you are using 802.11b then you can replace it with a 802.11g router) , but some are better than others. The D-Link DI-624 is known to be one of the fastest 802.11g wireless routers. Also the Linsys WRT54G series is good. What router do you have ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.