Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 7.1 version the best one?

It seems like a lot of people uses the 4.1 version. Is that an older version or just a diffirent version?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Version numbers can be confusing since some people refer to the Multimedia Centre (MMC) version number and others refer to the DVD player version number.

MMC 7.1 includes the 4.1 DVD player, so both 7.1 and 4.1 refer to the same player.

ATI has released the 5.0 player on CD only which is packaged with the new cards. This player supports DXVA for WinXP, but does not include pass-thru for Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS.

We're still waiting for ATI to web-release the 5.1 (?) player to support DD/DTS.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Load the 4.1 player but then ditch the ATI player and use the Zoom Player with the installed filters. Zoom has all the features you need which are lacking from the ATI player.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryHDTV
Load the 4.1 player but then ditch the ATI player and use the Zoom Player with the installed filters. Zoom has all the features you need which are lacking from the ATI player.
Which filters from the ATI player 4.1 are required for use with ZoomPlayer?

I saved the qidvdf.ax filter from a previous 4.1 install and have been using that successfully with Win98 drivers 7199 for DVD, although I'm not sure if I'm missing some features that an extra filter would provide. However trying to play an HDTV file causes random problems, crashes and high CPU utilisation.

I've now gone back to 7093 drivers and although I initially had qidvdf.ax working stable with HDTV and DVD playback with much lower CPU utilisation, something has now broken and the qidvdf.ax filter video pin will now not connect to anything. I've reloaded DirectX8.0 and unregistered all other player filters to no avail. Any suggestions to get it working again?

Ian

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Ian,

Just re-install the 4.1 player. There may be other files or dll's involved for proper playback. I only un-register the qidvdf.ax filter when I want the system to use some other decoder such as WinDVD's. There are times when, after filter juggling, even after I re-register the qidvdf filter that the system will not play HD files full speed (as if the hardware acceleration has been turned off). If that happens, I run the 4.1 update installer program and select 'Repair' installation to get it back working right. I'm also using the 7093 display drivers. I haven't tried any of the newer ones.

I mainly only use Graphedit as a tool to just show me what filters are going to be automatically grabbed if I run a player such as Windows Media Player (or Zoom). It should show the playback file connected to the MPEG2 Splitter, then the Cinemaster decoder followed by the Overlay2 mixer, and then the Video renderer. Make certain you don't have the Elecard de-muxer register or it will use that instead of the MPEG2 Splitter and all you will get is a black screen.

Zoom Player is great to use with the ATI player installation because it has all the aspect ratio controls which the ATI player lacks.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.