AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi,

I hope that CKNA doesn't mind me jumping in here.

On a CD data is played back at 1.44 M/bs (full bit rate for a 44.1K 16 bit PCM signal). If you try and put 5 channels of sound onto a DVD you wind up with rate of 3.6 M/bs, which CD (as used for DTS playback in cinemas), LD (where it replaced the digital stereo tracks which ran at 44.1 KHz 16 bit) & DVD cannot handle. The only way to make it fit is to compress it.

The difference between DD and DTS is not just about data rates, they also use quite different algorithms to calculate where the data is removed from the signal (as both are lossy compression systems) hence their different sound.

On the original DTS relreases on LD the DTS track could use the full 1.4 M/bs bit rate, so the compression required on the LD was nowhere near as drastic as that applied to Dolby Digital on LD which ran at 360 K/bs. On DVD the initial DTS DVD's were released using the 1.4 M/bs bit rate (and were applauded for their sound quality) however recently that data rate has dropped to 720 K/bs.

Of course what we want for HD DVD is a 3.6 M/bs data rate minimum for the soundtrack so we can have uncompressed digital sound on all channels.

I hope this helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.