AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle has a HD Panasonic 50" plasma TV. That plasma TV has HDMI connections and component video connections as well.

I have experimented with progressive scanning before and have seen a difference between 480i and 480p. Even tough with the 480p mode you see some blurring, the images are much alive than in 480i. I have seen this with a Panasonic S97.

The DVD I need is for my uncle. I would like him to experiment watching his movies in 480p but I also have heard about all this upscaling DVDs. I know that to do upscaling you need an HDMI connection and that by this connection you won't get 480p mode? Is that right?

Where is someone better off in IMAGE QUALITY: watching a DVD movie in 480p (progressive scanning) mode via component cables? Or, watching a DVD movie in upscaling 1080p? Can I have both options (progressive scanning 480p and upscaling 1080p with HDMI) Wich would you choose?

In my country (Costa Rica) options are not as big as in the US, and we have here only these brands: Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, Denon and Onkyo. Of course, we have also LG, Samsung, Philips, but I know these are not as good as the first group of brands.

Wich DVD would you choose? Thanks a lot for your help!

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc /forum/post/0

My uncle has a HD Panasonic 50" plasma TV. That plasma TV has HDMI connections and component video connections as well.

I have experimented with progressive scanning before and have seen a difference between 480i and 480p. Even tough with the 480p mode you see some blurring, the images are much alive than in 480i. I have seen this with a Panasonic S97.

The DVD I need is for my uncle. I would like him to experiment watching his movies in 480p but I also have heard about all this upscaling DVDs. I know that to do upscaling you need an HDMI connection and that by this connection you won't get 480p mode? Is that right?

Where is someone better off in IMAGE QUALITY: watching a DVD movie in 480p (progressive scanning) mode via component cables? Or, watching a DVD movie in upscaling 1080p? Can I have both options (progressive scanning 480p and upscaling 1080p with HDMI) Wich would you choose?

In my country (Costa Rica) options are not as big as in the US, and we have here only these brands: Sony, Panasonic, Marantz, Denon and Onkyo. Of course, we have also LG, Samsung, Philips, but I know these are not as good as the first group of brands.

Wich DVD would you choose? Thanks a lot for your help!

Depending on the player, you can do all the resolutions over HDMI: 480p, 720p, and 1080i are very common. 480i and 1080p are less common, but available.

HDMI vs component quality: both have about the same video capability. Viewers sometimes like one over the other, but it depends on how well the manufacturer has implemented the connections. There is no firm rule, but they should be close in quality.

Players that upscale over component are getting hard to find. The industry wants you to use HDMI and this is probably the easiest way. HDMI carries both audio and video, which is convenient.

480p vs upscaled resolutions: again, it depends on the combination of gear you are using. In my opinion, a good 480p (=progressive scan) player gets you about 90% of what is available from DVDs. The business with upscaling is an attempt to get that last few percent out of the DVD, which is recorded at 480i.

Your Panasonic S97 is a well-reviewed player. Here is a test site that is all about progressive scan players: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi . You might look up the players available in your area and see if they have been tested there.

Good luck!

-Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.