AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hope im in the right place here for this Question. Im wondering what my next move should be. Im set with my 50" Plasma, happy with my Paradigm center channel and Denon DVD player. I don't want to afford to upgrade Fronts , 2surrounds, Sub and receiver at the same time. So looking for suggestions on what would be most important/best item to upgrade 1st-2nd-3rd-4th. Currently using Onkyo HTIB with my other 4.1 speakers still the HTIB onkyo speakers/sub. I did the SPL/Rives disc test and wow very ugly on the low end and the upper end. ( don't have curtains on my 2 windows yet) hope that will help some. Im looking at the 2-3k range for a new receiver( thinking Denon 4306) and 3-4k range for my other 4.1 Paradigm speakers. 45% tv use, 45% dvd/movie use, 10% music use. EDIT=(Looking to do 1 upgrade every 3-4 months) . Thanx for any input !!!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Personally, I am a fan of powered, bi-amped speakers. This comes from being an old audio hack :) If you have powered speakers, then you can shut off the power amplifier part of your receiver, and just use the pre outs. Run them to your speakers using good cabling, and you'll get very detailed sound!

The question is: what annoys you the most about your current set-up? When you watch a movie, or listen to music, what's the problem?

Is there a hiss in the background?

Is there an electric, static fuzz during certain scenes?

Is the screen blurry, or getting burn-in?

Does your music stage lack clarity and distribution?

Whatever component you're changing will depend on what the answer to these questions is. For example, if the answer is "noise" or "fuzz" then you might be a candidate for a balanced power supply (such as the $429 power supply kit from transcendent sound).

If the screen is more a problem than the audio, then get a new screen (although I won't go near trying to tell you which one :)

Are you getting 1080p/60 up-scaling? Now that HDMI 1.3 is out, that's something to think about, assuming you have screen and scaler that can deal with it.

Also, don't forget the content! What are your signal sources? Can they be upgraded to give you more?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, Speakers seem to be the way to go next, Hmm Fronts or Sub 1st? Reason I ask is, I do have little but some probs hearing dialog. But that could be room treats also but just wondering how bad that Onkyo sub is or isn't and how much it could be affecting my dialog issues?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Dialog clarity is from 300 Hz and up. A sub won't make dialog clearer -- unless it's currently too loud, or poorly filtered, and ends up muddying the dialog.

There are various dialog level adjustments you can try, to raise dialog without affecting sound track too much. Typically, these are intended for "night" listening (lower volumes), but can help at louder volumes, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.